Sponsored

MT-82 class action suit.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ford upgraded the D4 tranny with better shift forks with 2019 models, so those shouldn't be included, no? At any rate, my 2019 shifts great, and I prefer it over the 3 Tremecs I've owned. But I don't abuse it, and won't abuse it, so I'm not worried at all. The Tremec TR-3160 on GT350s and Mach1s is reportedly more robust, but weighing pretty much the same, who knows compared to the 2019+ D4s. Guess time will tell.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
There are two sides of any story - the Plaintiff's complaint (mere allegations) is not "truth", nor has anything been proven yet.

Oy Vey: "Both the Getrag MT82 and MT82-D4 transmissions are defective according to the suit and have created endless problems for trusting Mustang lessees and owners."

I have "endless problems" - the MT-82 isn't one of them. Ford should put me on the stand - I'll put that notion to rest.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Does anyone know why 2020 is not mentioned? Simply because it's still too new to have suffered the same problem yet, or were any relevant changes done between 2019 and 2020?

FWIW, I've not had any problems with my 2020 MT. I'm strictly amateur, but in my three trackdays (first ever trackdays in a car) I've only experienced shifting problems twice. Once I had to retry my shift from second to third at just below 7,500 rpm, as on my first attempt I did not manage to get it into third, and had to retry. I assumed it was a driver error of some sort due to me hurrying the shift, as countless other shifts have been fine.
The second problem I at the moment cannot remember what was. Possibly the same as the first.

Off-track I cannot recall experiencing any problems, and when not in the city, I often shift gears at above 6,000.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Even with how I use my car (95% DD, 4% autocross and track, 1% the occasional hard launch), 2nd gear failure at 86k miles is completely unacceptable. Most of the issue is the stock clutch, but it's OEM equipment. Ford should be sued for the garbage combination they put into a performance-oriented vehicle, and have never addressed through 2017MY. The 2018 brought in a whole new host of quality problems with the aluminum forks.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
I’m fully satisfied with my 2019. Daily driver mainly city use with plenty of shifting. Just hit the 5k mile mark and still shifts like a dream.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
if I had a dollar for every mt82 related lawsuit post I've seen, I could drop in a tremec into my GT.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
No surprised. My 2014 GT (with the MT-82) had a big issue with 3rd gear grinding / lockout when trying to shift at high rpms. the Tremec in my 2011 GT500 had a similar issue with 2nd gear (always had to granny shift that one). My 2019 GT350 has the best shifting manual I have ever driven. Ford would do well to use that throughout the lineup (cost allowing) or offer it as a premium option.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I doubt Ford will do anything, the MT-82 was put in 2011+ cars and has had plenty of issues and Ford has not addressed anything since. I recommend going with a Benjamin Calimer built Mt-82. Either a Stage 1, 2 , or 3. Another solid option is just to swap a T-56 Magnum into your car. Both are very solid replacements. The MT-82 is Chinese made so that pretty much speaks for the quality of them.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I doubt Ford will do anything, the MT-82 was put in 2011+ cars and has had plenty of issues and Ford has not addressed anything since. I recommend going with a Benjamin Calimer built Mt-82. Either a Stage 1, 2 , or 3. Another solid option is just to swap a T-56 Magnum into your car. Both are very solid replacements. The MT-82 is Chinese made so that pretty much speaks for the quality of them.
It’s silly to say that because it’s made in China, the quality is automatically bad.
Has nothing to do with the country In which the tranny is manufactured and everything to do with cost, design and To which price point the tranny is built

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I'd caution all on pursuing a Calimer-built option. I've not had a good experience overall, despite the transmission being very solid. I have a thread in the Transmission sub-forum detailing my experience.

Also yeah, don't blame China. Blame Ford for their lack of stringency on engineering & supplier quality requirements and follow-up to those requirements.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
the MT-82 was put in 2011+ cars and has had plenty of issues and Ford has not addressed anything since.
Not entirely true. Major revisions came in 2015 for the Getrag MT82, then more for the 2016-2017. The Magna PT MT82 had obvious shift forks issues, which again, Ford addressed.

Also yeah, don't blame China
Yeah I keep seeing that CHINA SYNDROME thing, yet haven't seen one shred of proof that, at least the pre 18 MT82 was manufactured in China.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Only issues I have with my MT82 is when going into 5th sometimes makes a notch sound, doesn’t grind, just notchy. I still gotta change the MTF and add a Blowfish bracket.

Myself and many owners of the 06+ Civic Si had issues with 3rd gear popping out when engaged. No lawsuits but a lot of people made a stink about it and it even got on the news. Eventually Honda replaced the 3rd gear under a service bulletin. Some had to replicate the problem at the dealer. I didn’t have to. Just simply told the tech at Honda about it and he already knew about it and replaced it without question.

So if enough people complain about it, Ford may do something about it as to not tarnish the brand and the car.