Sponsored

MT-82 Class Action Lawsuit

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I didn't see this elsewhere on the site, but a class acton lawsuit was filed today in the 9th circuit district court for defective MT-82 transmissions. MY2011-2019 MT-82 and MT-82 D4 trannys.

Pretty much all of the complaints in it are exactly what I have read about here and experienced myself.

I'm not sure how to join it, but if you had to replace trans parts because of failed units, I'd definitely get on board.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ford-mustang-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml

Now...If we could only get one going against the AC Evaporators, then we'd be all set...
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had to have my MT 82 replaced at 19k miles. Still a piece of.... Synchros suck

I'm onboard. I'll settle for a Magnum XL swap.

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had to have my MT 82 replaced at 19k miles. Still a piece of.... Synchros suck

I'm onboard. I'll settle for a Magnum XL swap.
How do you file?

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
I hated the MT-82 when I first got the car, even made a joke of myself on the forums. I got more comfortable with it, got some better driving shoes and now I have a great time with this transmission. It always clunks into 1st gear and I've been locked out of 2nd gear a half-dozen times over my 8 months with the car. I'm curious to see how you get your name on the lawsuit. It's lawsuit is really clear and I realize everything on there is spot on. Only 10k on mine so far.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
How do you file?
Not sure yet, luckily I kept all the paperwork for the car. The one I have now is showing symptoms again at 40k. The car is paid off so trying not to dump it. I am saving up for a Tremec swap.

Edit; I emailed one of the law firms representing the case. See what they say.

Last edited:

Sponsored

L454S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Can't believe this is still going on. The forums were blowing up with this almost 10 years ago. Had a 2012 with the M82, and while it wasn't terrible, it was poor compared to other options.

This time I went with the A10.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seems QC is the main issue with these. I actually really love how mine feels, other than the synchros making themselves known when you go into gear. No RPM lockouts, and the feel of the gears as you shift is pretty crisp and direct. We'll see how it does longevity wise. Worst case scenario I'll just swap in a Tremec on my own time, luckily this platform makes that very easy to to do if a little pricey.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I loveeeee my m82, after I installed Barton short throw shifter and steeda spring at 1k miles.

If driven in winter, it’s a slight notch til warmed up

But all spring and summer. It’s smooth as silk. Tightest throwing shifter over ever driven no slop no play

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I like my MT82, it is better in shift feel than many other transmissions I've owned, but the 2nd gear nibble and thunk between top/bottom gate throws is pretty lousy (The latter could be a stacked tolerance problem and not entirely the MT82's fault though). I've had T-56's before and I do like them better, although they have their own problems.

I'll take a MT82 over an automatic (When installed in a car) any day of the week.

Using different fluid and a shifter bracket helped tremendously though - but people could argue that one shouldn't need to do such things to make it work better.

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I enjoy mine but I have a standard Jeep Wrangler as an everyday driver... the Jeep transmission is reliable but makes the MT82 feel like the smoothest shifting ever.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I need to know how to join too.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ