MT-82 class action suit.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
But the problem is freaking companies want to save even more, to improve profits, so they're start skimping on quality. Then there come the recalls, they fix it, cut costs somewhere else, and the cycle repeats, and never ends.
Exactly this. Companies have never learned from these penny-wise, pound-foolish ways.
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As long as people buy their products they won’t. I don’t blame the companies for selling crap. I blame the buyers for buying crap.

Personal responsibility was once a thing. Now blaming someone is much easier. Pretty simple solution. Don’t buy another Ford manual trans.
I agree in that, generally, if someone is aware of any problems and continues to buy anyway, and then complains after, they perpetuate the cycle, personal responsibility is definitely required.

However, there are many who buy things and are not aware of issues (especially if they're not active enthusiasts like we are, on a forum) and thus, can't factor that into a decision. Even if folks do research like we all should do, it happens often that no matter how much research you do for a product/service prior to purchase, you inevitably find out more, post-purchase.

I personally don't have major complaints with my MT-82, even at near redline. I enjoy it overall. I've driven a lot of manuals, and even what many agree to be the "best manuals" are not perfect - the manual gearbox itself is mechanical and archaic, so there is a certain level of unrefinement to be expected. The MT-82 does seem inconsistent, however. As others have stated, the stock clutch can also be an issue with these cars.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I can still shift the car fast over 7k, just takes more finesse rather than speed.
And why can't you drive always like that? Ha ha. Otherwise, you're in reality abusing the tranny, no? :) Having said that, some folks pointed out something that makes mechanical sense to me: The clutch could be the issue preventing high-rpm upshifts, and not the tranny... but the tranny gets blamed.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
As long as people buy their products they won’t. I don’t blame the companies for selling crap. I blame the buyers for buying crap.

Personal responsibility was once a thing. Now blaming someone is much easier. Pretty simple solution. Don’t buy another Ford manual trans.
I get what you're saying, but it's not reasonable that a $35k-50k car by an established manufacturer produces crap. If we don't buy manual mustangs, they don't improve them in response, they just stop selling manuals. The answer is making them aware of their stupid decisions. I know for 100% certainty that the quality issues we're talking about are not "let's see how cheap we can make it and get away with it", it's more of "geee golly I thought Mr. Smith was taking care of that as part of process XYZ"

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I agree feedback is important, because this is the truth about issues like the one discussed here: Manufacturers don't KNOWINGLY make crap. They think it's good enough, but the root cause of all of these issues is there's NO MORE R&D, because it's cheaper to fix crap than to do things right, unfortunately. Profits are everything nowadays. But what's absolutely inexcusable, is when a manufacturer knows something is crap, why not act IMMEDIATELY? That's what it's baffling to me. If you know you screwed up, fix it immediately, and you'd avoid recalls, class-action lawsuits, bad reputation, disgruntled buyers, etc. But sadly, that's not what happens most of the time. And that hesitation leads to a snowballing effect, being A LOT more expensive to fix than if it had been done initially, bad reputation, lost customers, etc. It's really stupid. Just ask VW. Ha ha.

By the way, the issue with the shift forks was they were just welded with 4 spot welds, AFAIK. How hard it'd had been to just fully weld the damn things when they found out about the issue? Or at least put twice as many spot-welds? Oh well.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I agree feedback is important, because this is the truth about issues like the one discussed here: Manufacturers don't KNOWINGLY make crap. They think it's good enough, but the root cause of all of these issues is there's NO MORE R&D, because it's cheaper to fix crap than to do things right, unfortunately. Profits are everything nowadays. But what's absolutely inexcusable, is when a manufacturer knows something is crap, why not act IMMEDIATELY? That's what it's baffling to me. If you know you screwed up, fix it immediately, and you'd avoid recalls, class-action lawsuits, bad reputation, disgruntled buyers, etc. But sadly, that's not what happens most of the time. And that hesitation leads to a snowballing effect, being A LOT more expensive to fix than if it had been done initially, bad reputation, lost customers, etc. It's really stupid. Just ask VW. Ha ha.

By the way, the issue with the shift forks was they were just welded with 4 spot welds, AFAIK. How hard it'd had been to just fully weld the damn things when they found out about the issue? Or at least put twice as many spot-welds? Oh well.
For proof that Ford will drag its feet on fixing a major quality issue, look no further than the DPS6 DCT in the Focus and Fiesta here in the US. The change to a dry clutch for the US version proved incredibly difficult to calibrate and resulted in stuttering, lurching and overheating issues. The sister/brother transmission in Europe had no such problem. They spent BILLIONS on warranty for that issue, and forever turned away thousands or even millions of people from buying another Ford (I personally know a few of them). They knew about the issue in 2010 before it launched, and they did nothing about it except endless calibration changes all the way till its death here in 2019.

At this point, that all isn't inside info, it's been reported in Jalopnik and other places due to the lawsuits on that issue.
Sponsored