Sponsored

MT82 & MT82-D4 Class Action; Case # 2:19-cv-09773 FMO(Ex)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Initial Case # was 2:19-cv-09773
Filed Nov. 14, 2019
——
Case # revised to 2:19-cv-09773 FMO(Ex) as of Jan. 22, 2020
——

Attached 52-pg PDF of filing.
Sponsored

Attachments

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
How many guys on here have actually had issues with their my-82? I know they can be notchy, especially when cold and you have to deal with 2nd and 3rd gear lock out from time to time but how many have actually had failures? I came from a world of rice burners before the gt and I really enjoy the feel on the mt-82 compared to my Hyundai I had before it. That tranny was always notchy and liked to crunch into 3rd gear no matter how well you shifted. Hard to put into drive and reverse much too often. Just not a great manual trans. I've also had countless hondas and yes their trannys seem to always shift smooth and effortless but they also dont have to put nearly as much power to the ground. Any one have any experience with the challenger or Camaro? Are their transmissions any better than the mustangs?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
How many guys on here have actually had issues with their my-82? I know they can be notchy, especially when cold and you have to deal with 2nd and 3rd gear lock out from time to time but how many have actually had failures? I came from a world of rice burners before the gt and I really enjoy the feel on the mt-82 compared to my Hyundai I had before it. That tranny was always notchy and liked to crunch into 3rd gear no matter how well you shifted. Hard to put into drive and reverse much too often. Just not a great manual trans. I've also had countless hondas and yes their trannys seem to always shift smooth and effortless but they also dont have to put nearly as much power to the ground. Any one have any experience with the challenger or Camaro? Are their transmissions any better than the mustangs?
I liked the Tremec in my GTO better than the Getrag, but I've had zero issues with my MT82-D4 in 12K miles.

Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
My MT-82 has been fine. A little notch into 2nd when cold, but that's it. No lockout ever.
My car is a '14 GT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My Camaro has a Tremec because GM (and Dodge) didn't cheap out with chinese-made crap to save a few bucks. I can definitely see a cause for action in the 2010-14 timeframe and maybe also 15-17. But 18+ is going to be a tougher sell IMO. I don't know what Ford's problem is - are they allergic to quality control and bashing heads till things are designed and produced correctly? If you f'up a part you don't keep making the same damn thing for the next 4 years. You fix it within months. And if FP identified and solved a problem, you slip-stream that into the production cycle pronto.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Mine is shit until warm. Makes a whirling noise between shifts, rattles, is hard to engage, and prone to grinding if shifted hard. I am surprised my fork has held up this long.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
MGW shifter followed by a fluid swap has made my MT82 much better than it was stock. It's not perfect but it's also not bad so far. I'd gladly take the Tremec from the GT350.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
$62k+ for a GT? Wow. Was it supercharged?

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
What is the hoped for result of this class action: new MT-82; Tremec; money? New MT-82 is already listed as the same problem so that wouldn't be it. Tremec is not likely to happen, even though it is in the GT350 that is a big change for a GT. Which brings us to $$, how much would be considered acceptable? Enough to have a shop install a Tremec (and no warranty)?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thankfully I've had 0 issues with my MT82s.

Probably because I shift lightly.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What is the hoped for result of this class action:
the law firms will get millions.
You and me, $3 and a postcard from Ford HQ "apologizing" for their ineptitude in the engineering department, and a couple quarters of skipped dividends.

Personally I'd rather have a chance to whip the executives who chose to offshore the transmission to China in the first place, the executives who buried the problem or chose to ignore it because cheaper to replace the odd trans than admit fault, the QA department that didn't police the (likely) cheating vendor, the managers who signed off on the design, and the engineers who designed it and supposedly tested it, in that order.

It was 38F this morning and I paid attention to the behavior. I have the Steeda rear mount and short-throw and RP fluids, so no longer stock by any stretch. It was balky at times and on a couple occasions I had to double-clutch or reset and retry a shift (2nd gear mostly). My GTI is 'snick, snick' smooth no matter the temp - also cable actuated and the Camaro (Tremec) is sometimes a little bit 'gritty' during the throws but doesn't balk or grind.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
the law firms will get millions.
You and me, $3 and a postcard from Ford HQ "apologizing" for their ineptitude in the engineering department, and a couple quarters of skipped dividends.

Personally I'd rather have a chance to whip the executives who chose to offshore the transmission to China in the first place, the executives who buried the problem or chose to ignore it because cheaper to replace the odd trans than admit fault, the QA department that didn't police the (likely) cheating vendor, the managers who signed off on the design, and the engineers who designed it and supposedly tested it, in that order.

It was 38F this morning and I paid attention to the behavior. I have the Steeda rear mount and short-throw and RP fluids, so no longer stock by any stretch. It was balky at times and on a couple occasions I had to double-clutch or reset and retry a shift (2nd gear mostly). My GTI is 'snick, snick' smooth no matter the temp - also cable actuated and the Camaro (Tremec) is sometimes a little bit 'gritty' during the throws but doesn't balk or grind.
Man! You're going to be busy. You're probably going to need some help with that list.
Sponsored