Class Action Lawsuit for known A/C Evaporator failures on 2015 and 16 models

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT Premium
I have a 2017 and had my AC compressor replaced because the clutch froze up and snapped the belt, luckily it was covered under the extended warranty and I was only out $100. Fast forward 11 months later, smoke coming from under the hood and I smell rubber burning. Not a good sign. The belt was melting. I called my advisor and started complaining, it was covered at no charge this time. She said I donā€™t use my AC enough. Hell No I like to hear my cars exhaust! šŸ˜Š
Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I had the same issue happened to me at 18k miles and out of warranty(year 4). I had to repair it myself since the dealership misdiagnosed the AC system saying that the compressor is faulty and wanted to charge $1700 for replacing the compressor and not the evap core. So I took it to another dealer and asked them specifically to do the sniffer test and visually confirm that the evap core was faulty and low and behold it was the evap core. The 2nd dealership quoted $2k for the repair but then the mechanic refused to work on my car because "it has custom sound system" and he was afraid that he would mess things up. That was when I decided to gather all the parts that I would need myself and did the job with help of my brother in law. I went with an aftermarket evap core since the Ford cores were failing 2-3 times for some of the forum members(you can read about that fiasco in the evap core thread on this forum). Thankfully the AC has been working well since the repair---knock on wood.

rwp50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black California Special
As a loyal Mustang owner, I have tolerated manufacturing short comings for a long time. Thru the years as Ford has produced each generation there were inherent problems with each series, the problems mainly easy to fix or tolerate.

My gripe is with the 2015 and 2016 Mustangs. Ford knows there is a manufacturer defect in the A/C Evaporator behind the dash, and if your like many owners, our Mustangs are weekend warriors. That being said, it take quite a while to clock real mileage on the odometer. So at four years old and 18,000, my A/C system went out. The repair estimate is upwards of $3,000.00. Being out of warranty, I have no other recourse but to get it fixed at my expense. Now I am able to make
the repairs myself at around a $1,000.00 in parts, but I shouldn't need to with only 18,000 miles.

I am curious how many other owners have faced this issue, whether under warranty or out of pocket.

I completely understand if it were a performance part damaged from aduse, but were are looking at life of the vehicle parts failure, that can get pretty expensive to repair.

Based on the feedback, it will be the basis to contact Ford to try and get a resolution to the issue. If Ford won't help, then I am willing to go thru the due diligence and push the issue. As loyal Ford customers we should not have to pay the price for a manufacturing defect.

Your support might get this fixed, because if you haven't experienced the problem yet, wait for the bill when you are out of warranty. 18,000 miles really.
20190629_164538.jpg
Had the same issue on our 2017 with about 25,000 on it. About 2 weeks before the warranty expired. Very upsetting and unacceptable. Purchased an extended warranty but that expires this coming August.
So, do any of you have a suggestion on where to Bryan extended warranty for a 2017 GT?

RWP
Sponsored