Sponsored

Making claims (involving octane booster)

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Guess I am having a moral debate here, that comes down to truth in marketing.

A trend I have noticed in the Mustang world, that's now spilling over to others is... claims of "pump gas" power numbers with forced induction systems. But then almost fail to mention that Octane boost was used. (I have already noted a few videos that have fully omitted that detail...which seems very deceptive).

Sadly I haven't bought a can of octane booster since I was in high school, and the stuff was basically worthless...so I am "out" on knowing how good some are or some aren't. However, I do know that folks are really liking brands like "Race Gas, Octainum, Boostane" and stuff along those lines..so maybe someday I need to give it a test in my personal car.

My question is, should this become normal to rate cars using fuel modifiers? To me it seems confusion for the end customer, and not really how I would operate a car on the daily, but thats just me.
Sponsored

barkingspud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premuim
Interesting that you bring this up as I'm debating this very topic in my thoughts. I have a 2019 with a Centri (Vortech). I've had in installed for a few months and was originally tuned on 93 WITHOUT any octane modifiers and made a respectable 650 RWHP. I am now on to phase 2 of my build that includes a return fuel system, Pulley, Catless LT's and a Wastegate setup. I also have a setup that lets me switch between boost levels with a simple solenoid/switch with associated tunes to go from 93 on low boost to E85 and higher boost.

I had originally figured that the 93/Lower boost setting would net me the same 650 RWHP number but for some reason, we've been getting knock (verified not false) and only making 600ish RWHP. Which brings me to the thought of looking at using an octane booster to get me back to where I started. In fact, I was just starting to research them as I've never used them before.

The intent of having 93/E85 tunes and settings are in the event I am somewhere that doesn't have E85 available. 93 usually available anywhere and it's simple enough to have a can or two of Boostane or similar in the trunk. Just in case.

And to directly answer your question, I believe when posting numbers, everything related to achieving them should be included. Especially a fuel modifier.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
You have people that won't tell you how much octane boost they are using. They say they use a "splash" of octane booster. Really, a splash? I use 4 oz per tankful of Boostane Professional as insurance against getting a lower than 93 octane fuel. If I get some good 93 then that 4 oz of Boostane Professional ups my octane to 97, and I end up seeing a little more timing being added for a little more power. I always buy my Boostane Professional in the 5 gallon pail, you'll save 33% over buying it in the 32 oz cans. I've been doing this for the last 26,000 miles with no issues. My cats, and O2 sensors have not given me any problems with the Boostane.

Last edited:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
If octane booster is used to get results it's okay as long as its mentioned IMO.

Toy Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
It should 100% be mentioned. That like saying e85 is pump gas... it does come from the pump but it’s a completely different animal!

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
It's extremely effective, and for that reason it should be mentioned when comparing wien- I mean power levels.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You have people that won't tell you how much octane boost they are using. They say they use a "splash" of octane booster. Really, a splash? I use 4 oz per tankful of Boostane Professional as insurance against getting a lower than 93 octane fuel. If I get some good 93 then that 4 oz of Boostane Professional ups my octane to 97, and I end up seeing a little more timing being added for a little more power. I always buy my Boostane Professional in the 5 gallon pail, you'll save 33% over buying it in the 32 oz cans. I've been doing this for the last 26,000 miles with no issues. My cats, and O2 sensors have not given me any problems with the Boostane.
How often do u change plugs

Sponsored

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I ran a full can of torco in every tank of 91. It helped tremendously, I picked up like 70 hp. But it fouled the plugs up like crazy. Then picked up a ton more when I went E85. 570ish on pump, 640ish on pump+torco, and then 715 on e85.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I ran a full can of torco in every tank of 91. It helped tremendously, I picked up like 70 hp. But it fouled the plugs up like crazy. Then picked up a ton more when I went E85. 570ish on pump, 640ish on pump+torco, and then 715 on e85.
half can* now that I am thinking about it

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I love this post, so many places test blower or tt kits on a mix of boostane and 93, it’s so mis-leading

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Guess I am having a moral debate here, that comes down to truth in marketing.

A trend I have noticed in the Mustang world, that's now spilling over to others is... claims of "pump gas" power numbers with forced induction systems. But then almost fail to mention that Octane boost was used. (I have already noted a few videos that have fully omitted that detail...which seems very deceptive).

Sadly I haven't bought a can of octane booster since I was in high school, and the stuff was basically worthless...so I am "out" on knowing how good some are or some aren't. However, I do know that folks are really liking brands like "Race Gas, Octainum, Boostane" and stuff along those lines..so maybe someday I need to give it a test in my personal car.

My question is, should this become normal to rate cars using fuel modifiers? To me it seems confusion for the end customer, and not really how I would operate a car on the daily, but thats just me.
Hmmm, kind of reminds me about supercharger manufacturers hp claims: bigger is better and you will always see the biggest number they manage to produce. Example: crank hp, nothe the rwhp. Running the dyno test with a car in a gear lower than 1:1. Running high octane gas or even race gas, but almost never on the crappy 91 most of us can only get. Morally wrong? You decide, but marketing is all about driving demand, getting people excited and then purchasing. My opinion is that as long as the critical details are clearly provided, then it is simply buyer be ware.
Sponsored