2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the UK where we cannot get the handling package installed via the factory. However, some people install the package as a mod. I've read all the reviews about the Mach 1 HP tramlining on the road. My question is, I am not going to track the car & it will be equipped with PS4S tires, has anybody had any experience with the wide PS4S tires and rough road surfaces...and how is it? The UK roads are not great. Thanks so much for any feedback.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
They are the best street/track tires you can buy right now.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
My question is, I am not going to track the car & it will be equipped with PS4S tires, has anybody had any experience with the wide PS4S tires and rough road surfaces...and how is it?
It's gonna be fine. I just shoed them in and had a quick 20 km ride and didn't notice any tramlining, but will do more thorough testing tomorrow. From the previous responses PS4S do not tramline, it's a problem with Cup2s mostly.

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It's gonna be fine. I just shoed them in and had a quick 20 km ride and didn't notice any tramlining, but will do more thorough testing tomorrow. From the previous responses PS4S do not tramline, it's a problem with Cup2s mostly.
Thanks. I had the PS4S's on the 2021 Mach 1 and really liked them. Nick, you're running the PS4S tires in 305/30 and 315/30 sizes?

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I rather opted for PS4S 285/35 and PSS 305/35. I like profile 35 more visually and functionally (higher sidewall, more comfort on bad roads, smaller gap between tyre and fender) and the diameter difference is not an issue with it.
If I was limited to PS4S only, I'd choose 285/35 or 295/35 and 325/30. 305/30 in the front has -3% diameter difference which should be okay, but 1 cm narrower sidewall. 325/30 in the rear has -3.6% diameter difference but should be okay on the rear. 315/30 has -4.7% which is bit too much for my taste.

All of these tyres and the wheels themselves are not legal in Europe so weigh that aspect too, might check your ways how to get them to car's certificate in a not exactly proper way, so to speak. Maybe Steeda UK will advise you when they sell them, though velocity-group.de has better price on them.

But boy was it worth it, they completely change the look of the car, satin magnetic looks great on them, even vs the PP2-style glossy magnetic optional wheels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I rather opted for PS4S 285/35 and PSS 305/35. I like profile 35 more visually and functionally (higher sidewall, more comfort on bad roads, smaller gap between tyre and fender) and the diameter difference is not an issue with it.
If I was limited to PS4S only, I'd choose 285/35 or 295/35 and 325/30. 305/30 in the front has -3% diameter difference which should be okay, but 1 cm narrower sidewall. 325/30 in the rear has -3.6% diameter difference but should be okay on the rear. 315/30 has -4.7% which is bit too much for my taste.

All of these tyres and the wheels themselves are not legal in Europe so weigh that aspect too, might check your ways how to get them to car's certificate in a not exactly proper way, so to speak. Maybe Steeda UK will advise you when they sell them, though velocity-group.de has better price on them.

But boy was it worth it, they completely change the look of the car, satin magnetic looks great on them, even vs the PP2-style glossy magnetic optional wheels.
You make a really good point regarding the sidewall size. Being on UK roads, I really liked having ample sidewall with my previous Mach 1. I never had any issues with potholes, curbs, etc. I just liked the way the car rode. Do you have a pic of your wheels?

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2021-mach-1-wheels-specs.147764/page-14#post-3509155
I'll make photos of them on the car tomorrow.

PS: Two small observations. PS4S has nice satin look of the Michelin logo over PSS, it distinctly stands out from the distance, it can be seen in the first photo. PSS has bigger rim protector (around 1 cm over 0,5 cm at PS4S).
Those look mental, I love 'em! Yes, the PS4S rim protectors are really good, they saved me a couple of times because I was doing A LOT of parallel parking in London. So long as I moved slowly, the rim protectors were a huge help. My rims did not have any scratches on them, perfect, even with city parallel parking.

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Get the 4S as it is essentially a newer Generation over the SS and Charlemagne pretty much summed up the issue stating the PSC2s are prone to some tramlining and not the 4Ss. I have 305s up front and 315s in the rear and they handle and ride great. Once you go to the aggressive tires developed more as a track tire that is streetable ( i.e. Trofeos, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 R, Toyo R888r, etc ) you will find the car searching all over the road, especially if slightly rutted. Those of us that track a lot often try to explain to new drivers that many tires , especially in wide widths, will tramline on many highways, but.............................the worst ones are also the fastest ones on the track.

PS - listen to Charlemagne, as I saw more cool cars in Prague than any other European City when visiting in 2019 ( that includes Paris )!

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Michelin released the PS5S just recently too. Still so new I haven't seen reviews on them yet and they were supposed to come state side March 1st.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't expect PS5S this year, oh lol, figures. They have the usual narrower dimensions in first batch, more will come in next years. By the time we need a change it'll be ready 😁

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

315/35 would be perfect, but there's no way I'm going to find those in the UK...

tyre comp.JPG

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
The 305/30/19s up front and the 315/30/19s in the rear work just fine with PS4Ss on my Mach, but it will be running 315/30/19s ( with a 25mm spacer up front ) front and rear at the track. Don't anticipate any tramlining on a track circuit, but would guarantee running a set of Hoosier R7s on country roads ( Europe or the Americas ) would see the car dancing left and right to the beat of every rut in the asphalt.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
315/35 would be perfect, but there's no way I'm going to find those in the UK...
Indeed! I wonder why Ford opted for the lower profile for the HP.

But concerning the HP vs non-HP, the armchair physicist analysis says that unless you want to track your car more than drive it on the street (and while I cannot speak for UK roads, Czech roads are in general not in very good shape), you would suffer with HP more.

The reason is that by widening the tyre you proportionally increase the chances to catch something on the side of the tyre and you also increase the moment (torque) the tyre puts onto the steering (tramlining). Which both basically negates the advantage of the wider tyre, which is the larger contact surface. On the other hand, on an even surface, the larger contact area of the HP tyres will improve the stability and with HP spoilers (and a sufficient air speed) also the traction. So it is really pick you poison. :)

OP
OP
2021 Mach 1

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed! I wonder why Ford opted for the lower profile for the HP.

But concerning the HP vs non-HP, the armchair physicist analysis says that unless you want to track your car more than drive it on the street (and while I cannot speak for UK roads, Czech roads are in general not in very good shape), you would suffer with HP more.

The reason is that by widening the tyre you proportionally increase the chances to catch something on the side of the tyre and you also increase the moment (torque) the tyre puts onto the steering (tramlining). Which both basically negates the advantage of the wider tyre, which is the larger contact surface. On the other hand, on an even surface, the larger contact area of the HP tyres will improve the stability and with HP spoilers (and a sufficient air speed) also the traction. So it is really pick you poison. :)
Investigating how challenging it would be to find certain rear tires easily in the UK, I'm increasingly of the belief that I will just keep the factory size tires. I was considering supercharging and thought the wider tire would help put down the power, but it seems like too much aggravation.
Sponsored