Sponsored

Let's talk trailers...anyone with a custom ATC/inTech?

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M
the problem I’ve had with uhaul trailers is that they are not friendly for low vehicles. I had an FD RX7 that had ohlins coilovers on. I replaced the motor and the turbos and needed to trailer it to get tuned… it was a nightmare with the uhaul… I had to build ramps to get the car on… I had to build blocks to elevate the front end of the car just so it didn’t rip the splitter off… only to have to back the car on to ensure I don’t rip bumpers off.

the uhaul trailers are convenient but you have to make sure you have everything you need to keep the car elevated from contacting the trailer.

that experience sealed the deal for me on getting my own trailer that mitigates the majority of those issues.

I wanted to rent one locally but there are 0 people or companies doing it.

agree it’ll be cold, I’m bringing a propane heater 😂

it's gonna be COLD! Well unless you hit a pocket of weather like the mid-50's we've had this week. The local track rat 'storage' guy in Herndon has a trailer that looks like yours that last I talked to him was like $200 to rent for the weekend.

I eyeballed u-haul this afternoon and it looks like ball height is about 16" inches. That sound about right?
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, my trailer is nearing production. Just had final sign-off on the engineering drawings. Beginning to wonder if 50ft is overkill, too late now. Ha :crackup:

IMG_0808.PNG

This will be the most ridiculous thing to take to the track when all it is doing is hauling a Miata. HA!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my trailer is nearing production. Just had final sign-off on the engineering drawings. Beginning to wonder if 50ft is overkill, too late now. Ha :crackup:

IMG_0808.PNG

This will be the most ridiculous thing to take to the track when all it is doing is hauling a Miata. HA!
you bought a F650/750 also? Or did you just spring for the OTR class 8 :)

Hmm, why not go double-decker for the car area?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
you bought a F650/750 also? Or did you just spring for the OTR class 8 :)

Hmm, why not go double-decker for the car area?
My buddy advocated hard for a stacker - but for some reason he didn't want to pony up to help pay for it. Ha!

Truck will be a Ram 3500 HO *gasps*

I had an F450 on order, but the delays and prices were killing me. The ram was built in 8 weeks and is just going through shipping. The Ford is 2 months behind and still has no production date. Booo.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

IMG_0808.PNG

Dope!

edit: Also, Pitpal makes some crazy cool gear!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
My buddy advocated hard for a stacker - but for some reason he didn't want to pony up to help pay for it. Ha!

Truck will be a Ram 3500 HO *gasps*

I had an F450 on order, but the delays and prices were killing me. The ram was built in 8 weeks and is just going through shipping. The Ford is 2 months behind and still has no production date. Booo.
🤢

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A bit apples and oranges in a few ways. Mine's not a stacker - only single level. But outside of that, the Intechs are true motorsports trailers - inside and out. Everything is customizable and oriented for motorsports use. The trailer I ordered is actually more similar to a LQ horse trailer, but with a garage (the parent company has been building all aluminum horse trailers longer than car haulers).

The Intechs are better quality on the finish. From what I've seen, they'll literally build you anything and it's top notch. Loved that. The SMS trailer by comparison was much more limited - both in things like colors and cabinet configuration - they wouldn't put8ft of overhead cabinets on the curbside wall for whatever reason. They also wouldn't do in-floor stuff. That was a huge bummer.

Both are all aluminum (including protruded floor, etc.), super heavy duty, fully insulated, fully finished out, etc.

We crossed shopped Intech stuff a lot. Actually had one a day or so away from ordering, but ended up going with the SMS trailer for a couple reasons:

1. Preferred the separate livings space. With Texas being so crazy with weather (December at COTA had nights down in the 20s with days in the 60s and summers are 95-100 during the day and 80ish at night), we were worried about heating/cooling the giant interior space of an Intech/ATC type. Also, sometimes I just need to get away from the noise/social stuff, so the separate the LQ is great for midday naps.

2. Loved the "RV" feel of the LQ. We actually wanted an RV and tag trailer, but the logistics of that are a lot. And it makes doing track days solo really tiring. The truck and trailer combo is an easier load on me, but still comfortable if my buddy or wife come with (in addition to the doggo). The motorsports style stuff in the Intech is top notch quality, but felt that it wouldn't be super comfortable on day 5-6 of a trip. especially on the days where the car has to stay in the trailer (i.e. between track days, travel days, etc.)

3. Some of the logistics of the Intech buy were killing me. 20-25% down, 14 months out, and no commitment on price. On a $100K+ trailer, that's a pretty penny to give someone interest free and then find out cost went up 15-20% down the road. This isn't a hit to Intech. THey make incredible trailers and I still want one someday, but just doesn't fit my situation right now. Comparatively, my trailer was 15% down with a 120 day lead time.

Only time will tell how the SMS holds up compared to Intechs. couple buddies of mine have Intechs and they've done super well. There's one SMS trailer I've seen at COTA - it's fairly new, but the owner has been positive about his experience so far.

Sorry for the ramble - guess I'm practicing for the video I'll record when I get it. Not many have done the LQ trailer thing and shared their experience, so I plan to be transparent about it.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
You seriously think of everything and im glad you do these posts for us.

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Mine showed up 🤓
292CA882-C6D7-4820-9FCB-DA2E9183C2ED.jpeg