Sponsored

Knocking noise in Tremec

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
we could just summon @EmCel to weigh in and settle the matter. She likes to drive with her hand on the Bullitt oversized white ball.
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't you rest the hands on the steering wheel? One would think that such beast neads a short leash šŸ˜

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Noticing that when the car is idling in neutral with my hand on the shift knob, you can both hear and feel a faint metal on metal knocking and it's creeping me out. Anyone else experiencing this? No trouble shifting, what a joy this transmission is otherwise.
No havenā€™t seen/heard this on the (3) M1ā€™s Iā€™ve driven . But a few things:
1. The shifter is not a direct mount to the trans. It has external linkage that could be rattling or not secure.
2. All this hand BS is just that. Especially since the Tremec Shifter configuration. Any vertical load would have zero to do with anything, unless youā€™re actually moving left/right or forward/back.
3. Counterpoint, because youā€™re linkage is so tight, youā€™re just feeling the Drive train..Really need a video if you can hear it over the engine.

Keep an eye on it, if you trust your Local Dealer bring it in.

Actually not a fan of this configuration would rather have the Tremec T-6060 or Tremec Magmum-XL direct mount shifter to the transmission. Add an Aluminum drive shaft then this M1 would be rock solid.

Donā€™t believe GT-350 Owners have complained about the Trans, (you may want to search there) probably too busy with their 5.2 issues. Haha

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
we could just summon @EmCel to weigh in and settle the matter. She likes to drive with her hand on the Bullitt oversized white ball.
Classic case of ball envy if ever I heard one.

(Always driving with one hand on my own right ball.)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Why don't you rest the hands on the steering wheel? One would think that such beast neads a short leash šŸ˜
Even two or three would think so as well. That would constitute a consensus. šŸ˜‚ :like:

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Sadly I don't have a Tremec so take this with a grain of salt. I too have been driving a manual for 20+ years and have every bad habit in the book including resting my hand on the shifter and have never seen any ill effects from it. I do find myself sometimes wondering when I feel gearbox "noise" through the shifter including knocking and whirring but then I remember what that felt like on an old top loader and realize that I'm only noticing it because newer cars are so much better insulated from the mechanicals than those old cars were. Even this car with its el-cheapo interior. Also, I notice it a lot more once I put a solid shift knob on rather than the soft, upholstered OEM unit.

Manual man needs a place to rest his arm after shifting his own gears!
1634425373896.jpeg

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
The transmission is definitely more notchy and harder to shift when cold. About .5 mile down the road and it's back to butter.

I hear the rocks/can rattle as well in 2nd, sometimes 1st...then it gets super smooth and rattle goes away in 3rd. 3500 miles right now.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
I hear the rocks/can rattle as well in 2nd, sometimes 1st...then it gets super smooth and rattle goes away in 3rd. 3500 miles right now.
Interesting, I haven't found anyone else report a similar issue to mine. Yeah mine does it just in 2nd, and only on throttle or when going into gear. The actual gear change is smooth and no grinding or anything. I am hesitant to take it to a dealer because I don't have any trustworthy ones around me.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Interesting, I haven't found anyone else report a similar issue to mine. Yeah mine does it just in 2nd, and only on throttle or when going into gear. The actual gear change is smooth and no grinding or anything. I am hesitant to take it to a dealer because I don't have any trustworthy ones around me.
I just chalk it up to a tight transmission and to drive it like I stole it?

Saiyan_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hearing the same noise in my new Mach 1 with 60 miles on it, I can hear it pretty loud at idle and can feel it in the shift knob like someone is tapping it, It seems to go away when driving.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to add or if OP ever had it looked at and has an update.

I had a 2015 and 2019 GT and never heard the sound with the mt-82 and I bought the Mach 1 because I wanted the ā€œbetterā€ transmission so Iā€™m hoping nothing is wrong.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I haven't looked into it any further yet, being winter, and am hoping that the issue is just the loose cable in the transmission tunnel mentioned in an earlier post.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't looked into it any further yet, being winter, and am hoping that the issue is just the loose cable in the transmission tunnel mentioned in an earlier post.
Must be the loose nut behind the wheel...:shock:....No issues with shifter here, but the first 400 miles were a love hate relationship with the shifter that ended well thankfully. The first 400 were a bit rough.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must be the loose nut behind the wheel...:shock:....No issues with shifter here, but the first 400 miles were a love hate relationship with the shifter that ended well thankfully. The first 400 were a bit rough.
Seriously, sounds like something trivial though.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Give it some time, the Tremec likes warm temps, and mine took a good 1.5K mi to break in nicely. It gets better with time. I'm at 2.5K mi now and it gets better and better. It feels best when fully warmed up, to where you actually get some heat in the rear differential looking at the "Gauges" function in the instrument display.

The Tremec likes the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and a good positive push on the stick. I find I have to be more precise with the Tremec compared to MT82, I could be lazy with those.

On the plus side once warmed up, the Tremec handles hard shifts better and feels higher quality overall compared to MT82. It is FAR superior to MT82 on track. It was a big selling point for me on M1, and glad that is the transmission I have.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
well if you just can't abide, we'll take it off your hands.
Sponsored