Sponsored

How long (miles) to break in the Tremec?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
My M1 turned 460 miles today and finally I feel like my 6 spd. Tremec is starting to loosen up a little, but it has a ways to go.

I realize it would depend on how and where you drive it but is there an average mileage when the Tremec smooths out? Mine isn’t awful but it still feels pretty tight and requires what I would call a firm hand.
Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I’m not sure that it ever really loosens, at least I hope it always keeps the same firmness (I like needing to use a little extra force when going through the gears), but it definitely does start to get smoother. For a while, there would be times where coming from a stop I wouldn’t be able to get it into 1st and I would need to double clutch. I haven’t noticed having to do that for a while now, though, and going through all the gears feels much better than when it was brand new. I’m now around 3,800 miles, so I’d say a fair guess would be somewhere in the 3,000 to 3,500 mile range is where it starts to really feel nice.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From my experience with my GT350, the Tremec is super smooth when hot, but a little more notchy than the MT82 in cooler conditions. It works really great on track or if you've been driving a lot on a hot day, but in the cold not warm yet it is stiff.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
My M1 turned 460 miles today and finally I feel like my 6 spd. Tremec is starting to loosen up a little, but it has a ways to go.

I realize it would depend on how and where you drive it but is there an average mileage when the Tremec smooths out? Mine isn’t awful but it still feels pretty tight and requires what I would call a firm hand.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Mine isn’t awful but it still feels pretty tight and requires what I would call a firm hand.
lol…quote of the year right there, probably not for the right reasons!

I actually like that it requires that you put it in the right slot, nothing worse than a loose…oh never mind 😂

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Mine is getting a I’m MGW upgrade soon.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I am at 5800 miles shifts like butter, I believe it felt smoother past 3K miles. I see absolutely no need to change anything, its just perfect imo. I like MGW quality but honestly I don't see a need at least yet.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
lol…quote of the year right there, probably not for the right reasons!

I actually like that it requires that you put it in the right slot, nothing worse than a loose…oh never mind 😂
Yep and I noticed the more you slam her the more she enjoys.... the slamming shifts I mean....

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's not much to "break-in" in there, unlike an engine. Maybe the clutch, but the trans itself is pretty set as is. Sounds like you need some better fluid in there.

Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
There's not much to "break-in" in there, unlike an engine. Maybe the clutch, but the trans itself is pretty set as is. Sounds like you need some better fluid in there.
Yeah, it’s probably more the clutch rather than the trans itself, but there’s definitely a period of time before it feels how it should. When new, I often would find it difficult or not even possible to put the car from neutral into 1st when at a stop, and had to press the clutch again. Now I don’t have that issue anymore and the shifts in general feels a lot better than when it was new. So you’re right, the trans itself isn’t really breaking in, but the clutch breaking in makes the trans feel way better.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
From my experience with my GT350, the Tremec is super smooth when hot, but a little more notchy than the MT82 in cooler conditions. It works really great on track or if you've been driving a lot on a hot day, but in the cold not warm yet it is stiff.
Interesting, I’ve noticed this as well.

Makes a big difference.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Unfortunately, trans fluid like most other lubricants is affected by thermal viscosity ranges.

If the trans shift like butter when cold, then the fluid is generally too thin to provide full protection at hot or extreme temps. If the fluid has protection at operating and extreme temps, it's generally much thicker and less buttery at cold temps.

Over on TMO, the guys who've tried every combo under the sun recommend Motorcraft DCT fluid + friction modifier for the best combination of temps and shift quality.

Remember most tremecs come with multiple synchro types and blocker rings (materials). Tremec changed the first couple of exchanged to the "advanced" version because of cold condition shifting complaints.

Bottom line is that the trans working parts themselves don't need much "break in" other than a couple of heat cycles (just like ring and pinion gears) and everything works as it will/should. Your shift quality mainly has to do with fluid, clutch engagement, shifter alignment and at very high rpm input shaft alignment. The fluid aspect will depend on the type of fluid you run and the temps you're shifting.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Unfortunately, trans fluid like most other lubricants is affected by thermal viscosity ranges.

If the trans shift like butter when cold, then the fluid is generally too thin to provide full protection at hot or extreme temps. If the fluid has protection at operating and extreme temps, it's generally much thicker and less buttery at cold temps.

Over on TMO, the guys who've tried every combo under the sun recommend Motorcraft DCT fluid + friction modifier for the best combination of temps and shift quality.

Remember most tremecs come with multiple synchro types and blocker rings (materials). Tremec changed the first couple of exchanged to the "advanced" version because of cold condition shifting complaints.

Bottom line is that the trans working parts themselves don't need much "break in" other than a couple of heat cycles (just like ring and pinion gears) and everything works as it will/should. Your shift quality mainly has to do with fluid, clutch engagement, shifter alignment and at very high rpm input shaft alignment. The fluid aspect will depend on the type of fluid you run and the temps you're shifting.

Totally agree, day one was the extent of "Break-in".

I would actually say the opposite of most above:

Smooth, calm (not slamming) shifts work best. Yes everyone wants to shift fast but the action is actually slower/smother that will make you quicker vs panic slamming motion. Never had a problem.

Last note, did you ever notice poor/difficult shifting (from day one) using the Auto-blip down shift? Never.

I submit the "Break-in" is the Driver. IMHO

Last edited:

Machman23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Premium Mach 1 6-Speed with Recaros
I've been driving my car pretty hard since I picked it up on Tuesday. I'm not sure if the effort has decreased or if I've just gotten used to it but the engagement has smoothed out considerably and it feels fantastic after 800 miles. I do want to reiterate that I've been driving the car hard, though.
Sponsored