Sponsored

Is my car totaled?

AudioBoxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2016
Recently I swerved and hit a curb going about 50mph to avoid being hit by what seemed to be a drunk driver. I thought the alignment was off so I took it into a shop.

they said they couldn’t do it because the wheel was bent inward, the upper rail was split and there was extensive damage to the suspension.
-radial control arm and bushing is broken, needs a new strut, knuckle, and bearing. Not to mention what else they find.

car is a 2016 ecoboost with over 100,000 miles.

will it be totaled out? Insurance is coming to tow it on Monday.

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's impossible to know from a few pictures. Just wait to see what your insurance says.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt it. If it is totaled and you think can fix it buy it back if a good bb price and fix it

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I see some marks around one of the strut tower nuts on the driver side that looks like it rubbed the paint off. If that moved that much due to impact, that likely means other things moved and it could well be totaled.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Recently I swerved and hit a curb going about 50mph to avoid being hit by what seemed to be a drunk driver. I thought the alignment was off so I took it into a shop.

they said they couldn’t do it because the wheel was bent inward, the upper rail was split and there was extensive damage to the suspension.
-radial control arm and bushing is broken, needs a new strut, knuckle, and bearing. Not to mention what else they find.

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg
The first picture shows the red threaded studs appear to be leaning in toward the engine and the upper rail seems to be bent down toward the tire. if this is the case you have more damage than you know. You really need a good frame shop to tell you the full story.

OP
OP

AudioBoxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2016
Thanks for the observation. I tend to agree with you. Car will be towed on Tuesday to a shop to see what they say.
Does anyone happen to know of the upper horn frame rail is one part with the main unibody or is it a total separate part with its own fomoco part number?

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Actually the upper rail and box assembly can be purchased separately as repair sections and are welded together to make the complete rail. I would not go looking for fixes until you have a full and complete evaluation. Then you will know what direction to go or what decision to make. It doesn't take much to destroy a car after hitting a curb. Ask me how I know? Best of luck I hope it works out for you.

Wraithracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
There are multiple pieces that make up the upper rail as well as the lower frame rail and inner sheet metal. I am currently making repairs to the driver side front frame rail on a 2021 Mustang GT that I bought salvage. The top rail in your pictures is a stand alone piece that can be purchased from Ford, I bought one for the passenger side for less than $200 on Ebay. I purchased a complete driver side front frame rail/strut tower that runs from the firewall all the way to the front bumper crash bar. I did that since it was less expensive and allows me to install the entire structure as a unit that will help to make sure that everything is aligned and as close to factory specs as I can get.

Just as an FYI my 2021 was a total loss by insurance. It's a Premium GT with 26K miles with no engine damage. Destroyed the front bumper cover, hood, both fenders, driver side frame rail, and front frame horn on passenger side. Obviously the radiator, condenser, and subframe etc. were destroyed. No windshield, roof, or suspension damage. So odds are they will total yours out.

OP
OP

AudioBoxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2016
Thanks for the reply all. Thus far all I’m showing is damage to the frame rail and a tire that is bent inward. No telling what damage is done to the suspension. I’m assuming strut and the other basic components.
Thoughts on this car being totaled out?

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Probably totaled for insurance, always have a dash cam.

It probably can be repaired, I would make it a race car if you can get it back.

OP
OP

AudioBoxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2016
Dang. Thanks for the feed back all. I have progressive…notorious for totaling mustangs. Pretty sure these are my last days with her.

I will keep you updated ones any one have any video links/ web sites that talk about repairing the upper horn?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If the wheel is bent in I'd think it means lower control arm damage. If that's the case then I'd expect to have sub frame damage. That may, or may not, be visible but will probably show up when replacing parts.
For the body/frame look up a YouTube channel called "23 garage". They are a group of guys in Chattanooga with a body shop. They have done a couple of Mustangs, one with pretty significant front end damage. They do a pretty good job of showing what's involved and how to properly make the repairs.

Oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang v8
It's impossible to know from a few pictures. Just wait to see what your insurance says.

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg
It took a tremendous amount of force to shear all those spot welds. I’m sure there is a lot of sheet metal deformation. If it’s totaled will depend on if components/body panels can be realigned.
Sponsored