Sponsored

I hate deer

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Hope it’s not totaled. Nice looking car.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
If it ends up being totaled I'll order a new one from Granger.
Yep. Good choice. I have a 2022 eruption green Mach 1 on order with Zach...

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
3 for me so far. 1st one ran out in front of me in the fog, stopped more or less in time, no real damage. 2nd leapt off an embankment and landed on the hood of my car. This was back in the early 90's and I think the damage ran about $6-$7k.

The 3rd actually ran into the side of my car and put a dent in the quarter panel. The insurance company tried to deny my comprehensive claim saying no way that a deer would put a dent in the side of the car. I dragged the adjuster out to inspect the car and showed him all the fur stuck in the moldings and told him that I did stay up all night sticking fur bits into the molding with a pair of tweezers just to qualify for the lower deductible on a comprehensive claim. They paid.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I looked over the car carefully today. I'm finding miss aligned panels on the drivers side that were not miss aligned before the hit. The trunk looks pushed over toward the drivers side. Same with the hood. The alignment of the line that holds the mirror is not even with the hood. The hood seam for where it aligns with the door is tweaked.

I never noticed this before and I did do paint correction myself. Had these lines been this far off I would have noticed.

I might put up some pics. Not sure they will show what I'm talking about.

Sponsored

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Similar damage on my 2019 Ranger pick-up was $8K, but that was 2 years ago...
I was gonna guess $10k. But I don't see anything to total the car. It's all parts, paint and sheetmetal.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
It was instinct, avoid the obstacle. Several people told me after that if I had hit him head on that he most likely would have come through the windshield.

I don't like to unnecessarily kill things.
On the other hand, if you did hit the deer (depending how large it was and how fast you were going) it could've done even more serious damage to your car. I saw a post a guy had with his nice orange GT that hit a pregnant doe and the car was a mess.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Glad hear you're ok though.

I don't think it will be totaled out. Repair cost will depend on hidden damages we can't currently see on the exterior panels.

What's it look like under the car since you went off road?

----

I hate deer too.

When I had my prior 2011 Genesis coupe, I also had a deer strike... Coming down a rural road around midnight cruising at 55-60, all woods, all of the sudden, a huge "crash" into the passenger side of the car... Startled me to say the least. I pull over, there's no street lights, it's pitch black in the area, can't see anything. I light up my iPhone's flashlight mode and the entire passenger side 1/4 panel right behind the passenger door was caved in, door sheet metal was all rippled and front fender was dented.

Damn deer came straight out of the side of woods full force, hit and rolled down the side of the car - and disappeared.

If I remember correctly, the damage (in 2015) was in excess of $7k. Entire 1/4 panel and the door skin had to be replaced. Rear interior panel on that same side had to be replaced because the force of the hit cracked the panel. Front fender dent was popped out. Entire side of the car was resprayed and the body shop that did the work was excellent - couldn't even tell anything happened afterwards..

This is a pic of it when shop was preparing it for tear down (they removed the rear side glass and main rear window). The central impact of the 1/4 panel caved in a good 4". Hard to see, but door skin is also buckled outward and was dented/rippled in numerous spots.

1652121892711.jpeg

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This is my biggest fear when driving my 350 on the back roads of WV. Not even safe on the highways. My friends and I do our part to thin the herd every fall.

Sponsored
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm noticing things, the driver side rear tire is about 2 inches outside or tracks wider than the front. Noticed it when I drove through a puddle of water. The passenger side tracks in the same tire track as the front tire. I'm thinking the IRS got shoved over. It dos have alignment pins so if it moved the unit body moved also.

I hope to put it on an alignment rack tomorrow

left side fender liner.jpg

hood to trim in front of driver door.jpg

cowel trim to door .jpg

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Last night I swerved to avoid a deer, went off the road and hit a fence. Should have took the bastage out.
Nah, if you had hit it, the body damage would have been worse, and there's a decent chance you would have been injured as well. Hitting 150 pounds of stationary meat dumps a lot energy into the car structure, which deforms to try to dissipate it before it reaches the passenger compartment.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
We have an abundance of deer here in VA because they have few natural predators and they breed like rats. Hunters help, but there's not enough hunters any more. In our heavily deer populated county we're also very wooded and a couple of times per year someone tries to dodge a deer and gets killed hitting a tree. Here, it's better to brake hard straight ahead rather than try to dodge the dang things and get killed going off the road, IMHO. You can replace the car.

A deer hit my wife's new Accord in her drivers door. She never saw it coming. I hit one with my old Explorer as I was braking hard. Luckily it bounced off the bumper with no damage. I now have a brush guard on my F150 to help protect from bambi hits. I lost a couple of friends to bambi hits on motorcycles, and others have been injured. All of this in the past 5 years. I'd like to put a brush/bambi guard on the 19GT but it would look pretty poor, I'm hoping the Brembo brakes will stop in time.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
I guess the upside to this is now you have a perfect excuse to shed a few pounds with some carbon fiber panels

Deleted member 35644

I was always cautioned not to swerve, as depending on the road and shoulder, it can lead to a rollover. I hit one in a Talon on I-90 coming through Sundance, WY one night at around midnight. I was going 75, buried the brake (no abs) and left two black stripes before I hit her. Killed her on impact. I saw her land on the right shoulder behind me. Folded both popup headlights back into the hood, mashed the hood onto the engine, broke the radiator & air cleaner housing, left teeth marks in the right mirror, and left a lot of fur everywhere. $6500 in 1991. Hope I never go through that again. Glad you're ok, and really sorry about your car.
Sponsored