I hate deer

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I think you would have had a lot more damage if you hit the deer.
Roger that. One of my colleague's car was hit by a deer on the highway many years ago. Apparently the deer ran directly at the side of the car while he was traveling 60 mph. He said all he saw was Bambi's face in the passenger side window when it slamed into the car. The next thing he knew he was upside down sliding through the grassy median towards oncoming traffic while pumping the brakes like a maniac. The car stopped sliding just before rolling onto the shoulder of the on-coming traffic. He was lucky to walk away with only minor injuries. Both the deer and the car were destroyed. Classic RX7.

I've only had a near miss with a deer once. I watched as the d#%n thing jumped completely over the top of my truck and landed safely in a field on the other side of the road. I never even saw it until it was 10 feet above the hood of the truck. That was as close as I ever want to get.

Once upon a time there were these little "Deer Whistles" that could be attached to the car. They were a simple plastic device that only cost a few bucks and used an adhesive strip to attach to the car. I have no idea if they work or not but if they're still around they couldn't hurt.

Hope you get your 'stang returned to pre-accident condition as soon as possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Once upon a time there were these little "Deer Whistles"
I remember those. I also remember people saying the whistles attracted the deer...

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
Used to live in upstate NY where deer were plentiful as were the accidents. I myself have in the past been a victim with my daily drivers...4 to be exact. Take this however you want...but it is usually best to just hit them instead of trying to swerve out of the way...I will explain as it was explained to me by my insurance company and state police:
Insurance: hitting the deer is considered an "act of nature" and is covered as no fault. However, swerving and hitting a pole or something else is still covered(under collision, if you have it) but its recorded against you...and if you hit another car, chances are pretty high your insurance company is going to really ding you hard on your rates as well as a good chance u r going to be sued.
Police position: again...act of nature if you stay the course and hit the animal.. no issues. If you swerve and end up hitting another car you are going to be ticketed...or worse...you may severely injure not only yourself but the other drivers and be charged criminally.
I have hit 4 deer on seperate occassions...it is not like hitting another car...yes...lots of damage...but the enertia of the hit is very different as its basically a moveable soft body. Look...I get it...killing an animal that is on the road sucks...but its better that then killing yourself or others. Your car can be fixed or you get another one. I hit a huge deer on the highway going 65...it jumped out and wham...thought the damage was not so bad as it felt completely different from hitting another car...that is until i looked in my rear view mirror and saw parts flying...it was a 6 month old honda accord...was hoping they totaled it as the car was a real mess...but it was fixed. Just giving real world feedback.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'll reiterate:

Having hit one on a bike, I'd prefer that they be wiped off the face of the earth. :)
Grudge? You bet. This thread brings it all back, including the couple of weeks after.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Going to Road America last Sunday, I have never seen so many killed, lying on the side of, and in the middle of all the roads, I took to get there! Don't Wisconsin people hunt the damn things? I did see some live ones also.:frown:

Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Don't Wisconsin people hunt the damn things?

When I lived in WI the limit was one deer per year per hunter. Should be 10 or 20.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Saw quite a few deer, a moose, and about 10 bears, including one blonde grizzley, by the road on my 1500 mile mountain two lane drive last week.
On my 2019 the emergency stop saved me.went around a turn and about50ft in front of me were 2 deer.car came to abrupt stop and I missed the deer.id imagine if a deer just jumped out the car wouldn't have time to stop,so I was lucky.it was at night and I wouldn't have seen them so car saved me

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Final bill was just over 6500. Waiting for parts sucked.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
OUCH!
Sponsored