Sponsored

How does cold air get into the cold air intake?

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I was studying how air flows thru the grill into the cold air take on my new to me 2019 Mustang GT. The front grill was updated to a Mach 1 front grill by a previous owner. As best I can tell air is not flowing through the grill directly into the cold air intake because it's blocked off. I put a flashlight on the tube going into the cold air intake, facing towards the grill and no light comes through.

So how does cold air get in to the cold air intake?

20240514_180433.jpg

20240514_180444.jpg

20240514_180517.jpg
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's there, just really small openings. Alot of us open up that area of the grill to allow for more air into the snorkel that directs air to the filter.

Specifically for Mach1 bumpers, I believe you can pop off that fake foglight cover and it will do the same.

1715734344342-cr.png

OP
OP

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
It's there, just really small openings. Alot of us open up that area of the grill to allow for more air into the snorkel that directs air to the filter.

Specifically for Mach1 bumpers, I believe you can pop off that fake foglight cover and it will do the same.

1715734344342-cr.png
I was wondering about that fake fog light, if I could easily pop that off or would I have to cut it out.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Burlap bag of crushed dry ice in the air box. On 22+ you can replace the carbon trap with an ice tray. And you get the 10hp back.

Sponsored

dcalero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 w/Tech Pack
Let me be frank with you. A true cold air intake routes air from the outside of the car to the inside intake manifold. Those intakes are not true cold air. When I had my rsx there were 2 intakes you could buy, the regular straight ram air that would suck from the engine bay and the other was one that would pipe down to the driver side fender well where it would suck ambient air not from the engine bay. So to answer your question I don't believe that is a true cold air intake.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Let me be frank with you. A true cold air intake routes air from the outside of the car to the inside intake manifold. Those intakes are not true cold air. When I had my rsx there were 2 intakes you could buy, the regular straight ram air that would suck from the engine bay and the other was one that would pipe down to the driver side fender well where it would suck ambient air not from the engine bay. So to answer your question I don't believe in my opinion that is a true cold air intake.
This was my thought, so the set up I have from the previous owner adds no value.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
You have a hot air intake, not a cold one
Most of those aftermarket “improvements “ are in fact a downgrade compared to the stock intake because they suck the hot engine compartment air instead of outside air

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Been waiting to see someone hook their intake to the Mach 1 fog light hole for a true cold air intake

OP
OP

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Been waiting to see someone hook their intake to the Mach 1 fog light hole for a true cold air intake
I looked at Dodge Challengers before I purchased this Mustang, they have this connection, so I thought the Mustang would as well. I never checked until yesterday.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
I looked at Dodge Challengers before I purchased this Mustang, they have this connection, so I thought the Mustang would as well. I never checked until yesterday.
Yep that’s where I got the idea as well. Really surprised someone hasn’t done this yet

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
OP do you have the full Mach 1 bumper conversion? Or just the grille?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weren't people removing some piece of the grill/bumper to get cold air, and it actually made the MAF read wrong because the air was too turbulent?
Sponsored