Kashawy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Khaled
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT, 2012 Black Golf GTi
Damn the mod bug.

So I'm thinking about getting a cold air intake, and honestly I dunno much about them and I'm learning new things every day from you guys.

First of all, what's the difference with/without a tune? I understand that it's a custom tune that can be emailed to me so there shouldn't be a problem that I live outside the United States, right? Will I be able to re-tune the car back to stock in case it's going to the dealer for whatever reason, just so I won't have any warranty problems? Actually, does installing a CAI void the warranty?

On JLT website, it gives me a few choices and I don't quite understand. What's the difference between OIL or DRY air filter? Do I need a filter wrap/pre-filter, and is the choice of black or blue just a color choice? I assume a replacement filter is just an extra filter in case it needs to be changed. What is a tune for 91 or 93 Octane means?

It's a lot of questions, but I'm really lost and I don't understand much of these things. Please let me know which setup would you go for, whether it's a brand, tune etc.
Sponsored

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Damn the mod bug.

So I'm thinking about getting a cold air intake, and honestly I dunno much about them and I'm learning new things every day from you guys.

First of all, what's the difference with/without a tune? I understand that it's a custom tune that can be emailed to me so there shouldn't be a problem that I live outside the United States, right? Will I be able to re-tune the car back to stock in case it's going to the dealer for whatever reason, just so I won't have any warranty problems? Actually, does installing a CAI void the warranty?

On JLT website, it gives me a few choices and I don't quite understand. What's the difference between OIL or DRY air filter? Do I need a filter wrap/pre-filter, and is the choice of black or blue just a color choice? I assume a replacement filter is just an extra filter in case it needs to be changed. What is a tune for 91 or 93 Octane means?

It's a lot of questions, but I'm really lost and I don't understand much of these things. Please let me know which setup would you go for, whether it's a brand, tune etc.
Some do not require a tune, but for those that do, it's because it changes the airflow to the engine, and the tune is to account for and use the new configuration properly. It shouldn't matter if you are not in the US (but don't quote me, your tuner would better answer that. Tables may be different in the software for the overseas models.)

You can revert your tune back to stock, but the dealer will be able to tell the ECU has been flashed.

As far as the filter questions, I'll let someone who knows more chime in.

sandeale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
an oiled filter is a cotton gauze element that is soaked with oil to filter debris, a dry filter is either paper or a synthetic media that doesn't require oil to filter debris

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Abuch91 is right the tune is required if the air flow is changed, more specifically if the are flow past the MAS is modified. The Steeda CAI has a aluminum tube that can be run with an inner sleeve that prevents the change in air flow over the MAS and therefore does not require a tune. If that sleeve is removed (for maximum flow) then a tune is required.

Sandeale is also correct. And the color is purely a personal choice.

The tune for Octane rating is to optimize the performance of the car with the gas you plan on using the most.

Tuning the car requires a tool that will then be required to stay with the car ($399). To install a tune you record your stock tune on the tool, and store it. Then you install a tune supplied with the tool (general not specific to your mods), or one that has been custom created to take advantage of the mods on your car. In order to return your car to the stock tune you have to back out the new tune and reinstall your Stock tune from the tool. Every time the car's computer is tuned it is counted by the computer. So a dealer can see that the car has had a change but they can't (as far as I know) tell what was changed.

The question of voiding a warranty is pretty straightforward. Tuning does not void a warranty but if you harm the car and have a tune on it the Dealer can claim that was the cause of the problem and deny your warranty. The Law says that in order to do that they have to prove the tune actually caused the problem. This could be the beginning of a costly legal battle that is more expensive than the repairs needed, that is why so many guys decide to remove the tune before seeking any warranty repairs.

I can't begin to suggest which CAI to use as I have not used one. Good Luck.
Sponsored