Sponsored

How do I shift better/faster?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

This is full WOT launching at 4k and shifting at like 7k, does this shifting seem good lol. Will the MGW make it faster/cleaner?

Should I be starting to give gas before my foot is fully off the clutch or will that roast the clutch
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I don't know what you are doing wrong but that is very slow shifting.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't know what you are doing wrong but that is very slow shifting.
Right now I'm waiting until the clutch is fully engaged before giving gas (since I thought gas when clutch is partially engaged = slipping/roasting?)

Wraith_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Probably just over thinking it. Like a golf swing you know what to do but then you get up to the ball and start over thinking and the end result isn't what you wanted.

Towerism

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium 6M
Pretty much just have to try different things until you get the result you want. If I was you I’d be happy with that shifting speed. But I don’t drag race. I just like to do what feels right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Pretty much just have to try different things until you get the result you want. If I was you I’d be happy with that shifting speed. But I don’t drag race. I just like to do what feels right.
I'm pretty happy with it too since I don't race either but it seems like in every online vid they're banging gears at supersonic speed. I feel like they must be giving gas with the clutch still being engaged :crazy:

Towerism

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium 6M
I'm pretty happy with it too since I don't race either but it seems like in every online vid they're banging gears at supersonic speed. I feel like they must be giving gas with the clutch still being engaged :crazy:
imo you have to give gas while the clutch is still matching the next gear speed. At least if you want to be quicker that is.

People will say that these cars can take the abuse (not that a little bit of slipping is abuse; slipping a little is what the clutch is made for). But then there’s also plenty of s550 mustangs with clutches needing to be replaced too soon and synchros going out. So I just err on the side of treating the car right and it will in return be kind to my wallet.

edit: you can also just drop the clutch. You’ll hear a massive thunk from the driveline every time you do that though.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's timing. Clutch in and off the gas at the same time Pull into 2nd, release clutch and hit gas at same time.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The old carburated cars are easier to shift fast as the rev's drop instantly.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Smooth is fast. You have to stay on the gas but not enough to cook the clutch or blast the drivetrain abusively. Practice matching to the next gear on your regular, around town shifts and the whole thing will smooth out when done quickly as well. Once done correctly, it will be a partial touch on the clutch and a partial lift of the gas but timing and habit will be everything, it won't be a violent jerk or an extreme force on any input.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Preload the clutch a tad by having the ball of your foot against it, and pull on the shifter a little BEFORE you make the shift………. Most shifts can be done without even going all the way to the floor when you learn the timing. Stab and grab. Practice it. You’ll cut your power off/on time in half………

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
It's timing. Clutch in and off the gas at the same time Pull into 2nd, release clutch and hit gas at same time.
This^^^
you just need to be quicker at the transition. maybe your car is new and the trans needs a bit more time to break in so you can shift quicker/smoother BUT definitely nees to be closer together

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I guess I should add, you know you're on the right track when you normal shifts don't jerk or slow you down. It should be a momentary lag in acceleration followed by an immediate uptake with no abrupt movement of RPM on clutch let out. All the same principles apply even when you're not at WOT.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Pull into 2nd, release clutch and hit gas at same time.
Speed shifting 101: Release the clutch AS your going into gear and hammer the go pedal just before the end of the shift.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I guess I should add, you know you're on the right track when you normal shifts don't jerk or slow you down. It should be a momentary lag in acceleration followed by an immediate uptake with no abrupt movement of RPM on clutch let out. All the same principles apply even when you're not at WOT.
my normal shifts are smooth since I hold the clutch at the engagement point for a split second for 1-2 and 2-3 so there's no jerk. But when ripping around I just completely let out the clutch so it jerks the whole car a bit.
Sponsored