Sponsored

How common is EcoBoom?

Deleted member

Mine blew at 42k miles. It only has a catback exhaust, ford performance cai and tune and a DV+ bpv upgrade. Dealer repaired it but I noticed they replaced my FP tune with a conservative tune. Before my boost would reach 20+ psi, now it would not even go beyond 10 psi.
You have a separate issue if you're only boosting 10 psi, make sure that all your charge pipes are attached properly and you dont have a boost leak. Ain't no way in hell ford limited the FP tune to 10psi just because you got a rebuild. Something else is up.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, probably a boost leak, charge pipe or something.

Stock is 18psi

Mustang_Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 ecoboost mustang premium
I started researching the EcoBoost Mustang the beginning of January then purchased my car a few weeks after that. During that time and while researching mods afterwards, I've read a number of posts about the dreaded EcoBoom. Granted some people will only post when they have a problem while there are many other EcoBoost Mustangs that are still going strong but... it seems like a high number of EcoBoost Mustang owners have had internal engine parts escape from the side of the block. I read another post about this a few hours ago. The only mod done to the car was an induction. So how common is it and why does it happen? I can understand possible engine failure after an extra couple hundred horsepower has been added. Or to much boost/nitrous. The range that I've read about has been from stock to heavily modified and everything in between.

Also, do other EcoBoost vehicles experience this problem or is it limited to the Mustang?

Orcinus1967

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost
By 2021 this is old news. 2.3 EB's blow the #3 cylinder most frequently. My 2016 with larger Mishimoto intercooler, catch can, and NGK cold plugs blew up at 61K miles on a stock tune. It was a desert car, specifically it goes up to about 123 degrees in the Coachella Valley in summer. I pushed it but did not beat it going up and down twisty mountain roads, mostly at night. I drive spirited, not stupid. I drive 80-100 mph where I can on wide California freeways. I do not race it. Mine blew up after an oil change at Ford, accelerating easily in normal drive mode, from a stoplight. Since it had CPO coverage up to 100K miles, Ford, after sending an inspector to the dealership, replaced it with a long block, under warranty. Yes sometimes the dealership has to go to bat for you to get a totally new engine, this was told to me by the Service Manager. Later, that new block had the heads replaced at 91K miles. Under warranty. So new heads on an engine with 30k miles. I told Ford 2 weeks before it blew up it was making a vibration. They won't do a thing if there are no codes. You want to play with the 2.3, buy the ESP for $3k, drive it like your grandmother would, and don't get a tune. Better yet, just buy the GT. Or, buy the Hi-po package for $5K and get magna ride. It's about 200 Lbs less weight in the engine than the GT, and the twistys are still a lot of fun. THe only place you will pass the GT is at the pump. I can go Palm Springs to LA and back on one tank of gas at 80 mph. That's 200 miles round trip. Cheers.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
By 2021 this is old news. 2.3 EB's blow the #3 cylinder most frequently. My 2016 with larger Mishimoto intercooler, catch can, and NGK cold plugs blew up at 61K miles on a stock tune. It was a desert car, specifically it goes up to about 123 degrees in the Coachella Valley in summer. I pushed it but did not beat it going up and down twisty mountain roads, mostly at night. I drive spirited, not stupid. I drive 80-100 mph where I can on wide California freeways. I do not race it. Mine blew up after an oil change at Ford, accelerating easily in normal drive mode, from a stoplight. Since it had CPO coverage up to 100K miles, Ford, after sending an inspector to the dealership, replaced it with a long block, under warranty. Yes sometimes the dealership has to go to bat for you to get a totally new engine, this was told to me by the Service Manager. Later, that new block had the heads replaced at 91K miles. Under warranty. So new heads on an engine with 30k miles. I told Ford 2 weeks before it blew up it was making a vibration. They won't do a thing if there are no codes. You want to play with the 2.3, buy the ESP for $3k, drive it like your grandmother would, and don't get a tune. Better yet, just buy the GT. Or, buy the Hi-po package for $5K and get magna ride. It's about 200 Lbs less weight in the engine than the GT, and the twistys are still a lot of fun. THe only place you will pass the GT is at the pump. I can go Palm Springs to LA and back on one tank of gas at 80 mph. That's 200 miles round trip. Cheers.
In another thread you replied that the engine had the Ford tune so you are straight up lying about having a stock tune. Why do you feel the need to spread false information? Also, based on the information you provided in other posts you didn't experience an Ecoboom but some other engine failure after getting an oil change.

" I do not have an Unleashed tune. I have a Ford tune which was implemented / came with my CAI, which was installed after the CAI and Magnaflow exhaust were put on. "

In this thread you contradict that statement and make no mention of the CAI.

"My 2016 with larger Mishimoto intercooler, catch can, and NGK cold plugs blew up at 61K miles on a stock tune" (Really, stock tune?)

Here are some other threads where you give more details.

" I have put a few more miles on a 2016 EBM than most, (I suspect) 65,000 miles. It just blew up, waiting for a diagnosis from the dealer. I have a FP CAI and Ford Tune. All mods after I bought it used, from a dealer, with a 100,000 CPO mile warranty on it and 25,000 miles. Before that it was a rental car. I suspect it is the Direct Injection, Pre-Detonation / LPSI issue for mine. No holes in the bottom of the block and still a good deal of oil showing on the dipstick. But a lot of noise from the top of the engine. We shall see. Its going to be interesting to see what happens as these engines get past 60,000 miles. I will push for replacement with a newer design, it has been said on forums there are weak cylinder walls in some places on the engine. Hopefully this would be addressed by now, although if it's "Pre-detonation" or just a general design flaw of DISI engines, a stronger block won't help if the engine is blowing apart rods and pistons inside. "

"Since the motor blew not even a mile away from the dealer after an oil change, yes it did have the catch can on it. I told the dealer exactly what was on the car, and since I had Quicklane check the catch can on previous oil changes, they now all about it. It is not a modification that would cause an engine failure. IN fact the opposite, the motor should come with one on it. However I have read that it won't stop mist or vapor, so its not a real answer for the problems of DISI engines. SInce its under a 100,000 mile warranty, its better for the dealer to ask for a whole engine (long block) replacement, then to rebuild from a short block. The dealer is pushing for total engine replacement. Ford's warranty department EPS or whatever its called, would LIKE to ship a short block. Its between the dealer and Ford at this point. The dealer is saying there is metal contamination in the engine. I expect this could go on for some time. It only been a week so far and they didn't even get into the engine until this past Monday, its now Friday and they are a busy dealership so its to be expected. What would really give Ford the opportunity to void my warranty is a non ford tune. This has been well discussed on forums on the internet. No one has yet to intimate that after market mods are to blame for the failure of the engine.
Again, we shall see. Thanks for your concern!. Cheers. "

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Member here with a 2016 car has gone thru 4 engines in 60,000 miles. Catted downpipe and tune. There definitely was something inferior about the rods in the pre17 motors.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Has the 2.0 block with 2.3 internals been a proven combination to eliminate the chances of an EcoBoom?
This is an excellent question!
I get confused about the 2.0 ecoboost block. Is the 1st generation eco 2.0 recommend or the 2nd gen ecoboost block preferred?? Or should I just upgrade the internals of my factory long block (has stock turbo and FBO plus E85 kit and pro tune)??

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Member here with a 2016 car has gone thru 4 engines in 60,000 miles. Catted downpipe and tune. There definitely was something inferior about the rods in the pre17 motors.
I would like to see some physical evidence of inferior build quality between the rods. I would think that after 6 years someone could prove there is a different in build quality or present some evidence of something. I have never seen or heard any credible evidence to suggest a difference in build quality.

But you know what else has changed since 2014, tuning experience. IMO, the early engine failures were caused by poor tuning techniques by noob tuners. I can say this because after 6 years of reading thru these threads you don't read about Lund, Bama or LMS blowing engines like some of the others we read about all the time. I don't hear Lund, Bama or LMS saying anything about build quality.

If there is some defect in the early engines then bone stock engines would fail at or around the same rate as ECU flashed but we can find no evidence anywhere that bone stock 2.3 engines are failing after 6 years. The simple fact is this, Once you ECU flash an engine you absolutely forfeit your right to claim a defect exists. This is why I waited until 5 years and 40k miles before modifying and ECU flashing my 2014 2.3 engine.

So until someone can provide some evidence of Bone Stock 2.3 engine failures there is no defect in the engine, only a defect in ECU flashing and modifying. 1 person going thru 4 engines is odd but doesn't prove anything. Obviously there is something different going on there as 1 person getting 4 defective engines is questionable. One owner who had multiple engine failures sucked water into his intake, not once but twice, because he had modified his CAI or something. Plenty of stupid people out there who are responsible for blowing these engines and somehow get linked to defective rods, etc.

Last edited:

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
The rods being defective have long been debunked as an excuse for poor tuning, there was so much hysteria in the beginning I fell for it. 6 years already a manufacturing defect would have been proven by now, all evidence points to tuning strategy being the primary cause for early failures. There is a limit and is difficult to have reliable high power on a 4 cylinder engine on a mass scale as mentioned before if it was so easy every manufacturer would be doing it. I took a gamble on FP tune since they offered warranty and testing of their tune currently sitting on 63k miles the have been problem free so far,have already seen fp tunes going over 80k+ miles.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
6 years already a manufacturing defect would have been proven by now,
'manufacturing defect' and 'design on the limit' are 2 different things. I'm pretty sure I saw a SKU change at some point. Ford has a history of getting too cute by half in their engineering of parts.

I am NOT saying Tuners didn't do stupid/naive/sloppy things back in the day. No doubt some of the reduction in 'boom was Tuners toning it way the hell down instead of being so greedy. But stronger rods is entirely possible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Hoping this is all good news for a Maverick with EB. I never bought a new car so I was hesitant to consider the option of EB.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Hoping this is all good news for a Maverick with EB. I never bought a new car so I was hesitant to consider the option of EB.
New Maverick, cool!! I think they come with the 2.0 ecoboost?? Haven't heard anything about a 3rd generation 2.0 motor, so I'm assuming they are using the 2nd gen. with semi closed deck? Does anyone know??

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The modern (18+) EB is fine by all accounts. You (should) have nothing to fear anymore. Ford's EB2.7 had issues early on as did EB3.5 Gen1 which has since been rectified across the board.

Lesson here is never buy a 1st gen motor from Ford and definitely think twice about tuning it. They probably screwed it up.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'manufacturing defect' and 'design on the limit' are 2 different things. I'm pretty sure I saw a SKU change at some point. Ford has a history of getting too cute by half in their engineering of parts.
Ford does have a questionable past as do most car manufacturers but changing part numbers happens all the time without any change in the manufacturing process.

I have no loyalty to Ford and if there is an actual defect or inferior build I want it exposed so we can all make informed decisions.
The modern (18+) EB is fine by all accounts. You (should) have nothing to fear anymore. Ford's EB2.7 had issues early on as did EB3.5 Gen1 which has since been rectified across the board.

Lesson here is never buy a 1st gen motor from Ford and definitely think twice about tuning it. They probably screwed it up.
The First gen EB Mustang's are fine. It was the learning curve in ECU tuning that was the biggest problem IMO, followed by owner errors like the genius who needed 4 engines because he modified his CAI and ended up sucking water into the intake twice, and another guy who forgot to fill with oil after a DIY oil change, etc. This is not relevant to the Ecoboom conversation but it gets lumped into the conversation by people who don't know what the hell they are talking about yet feel the need to comment.

Rarely if ever will you read about a bone stock, (not an ECU flashed, larger Intercooler, blah, blah, blah bone stock) being problematic.

Just read thru this forum and you will find bone stock 5.0/5.2 engines going tits up after a few hundred or a couple thousand miles. You don't see that shit on the 2.3 and I challenge anyone to find a post of a 2.3 with 900-1800 miles, bone stock, that needed an engine replaced. Should be easy if a defect or build quality issue actually exists since this engine has been around in the Mustang since mid 2014.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/another-2020-engine-failure.165030/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...complete-engine-failure-at-1800-miles.163525/

This is what we see on the 2.3, ECU flashed and modified. Now we will never know if this engine would have ended the same way if it were bone stock, but let's speculate an inferior build quality exists on some engines?. I don't follow that logic.

There is a lot of confusion and misinformation about the "Ecoboom" events and what "Stock" means. Many posters who claim to be "Stock" or either lying or think they are Stock because they never cracked open the block. Also, many posters claim to have experienced an Ecoboom event when in fact they had a head gasket failure or other problems.

1.> Ecoboom means a hole in the block, a cracked block or piston caused by some catastrophic detonation event.
2.> Stock means from the factory. Changing the air filter and cat-back would be the limit of claiming a Stock car IMO.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...or-need-options-opinions-and-thoughts.158383/

Once you ECU flash, modify, or DIY backyard mechanic you are giving up your right to claim any defects.

Last edited:

Turboash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
2018 10r80 ecoboost here.. bought the car used at 27k miles put roughly 1000 miles on it since buying, only thing have done was mobile 1 oil change done by me (ASE tech), stock air filter, stock tune, as far as I know car had never been touched. ( bought from a woman who bought it new). Driving down the road going 45mph Under 2k rpm’s and boom cyl 3 decided to exit the block. Thank god still under 60k power train, ford is putting a factory long lock and turbo on. Figured I would put it in here for others to see a stock 18 with ecoboom….
Sponsored