Sponsored

How common is EcoBoom?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
2018 10r80 ecoboost here.. bought the car used at 27k miles put roughly 1000 miles on it since buying, only thing have done was mobile 1 oil change done by me (ASE tech), stock air filter, stock tune, as far as I know car had never been touched. ( bought from a woman who bought it new). Driving down the road going 45mph Under 2k rpm’s and boom cyl 3 decided to exit the block. Thank god still under 60k power train, ford is putting a factory long lock and turbo on. Figured I would put it in here for others to see a stock 18 with ecoboom….
Sounds like LSPI. Was the Mobil 1 you used SN+ or SP rated?
Sponsored

Turboash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
also next time don't lug the engine. <2000 is for sitting at a red light. I don't even turn my V8 that slow.
cruising at speed 0 boost pressure 6th gear with the trans in normal mode. 10 speed trans.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
cruising at speed 0 boost pressure 6th gear with the trans in normal mode. 10 speed trans.
right, so override the fools at Ford transmission programming and keep the motor spinning. I don't even let the TT3.5 in the F150 drop below 2000, by locking out the upper gears.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Sorry to hear that you lost your motor. As an ASE Tech, maybe you can help us understand LPSI and keep us updated as to what is found when they do the teardown.

Turboash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Sorry to hear that you lost your motor. As an ASE Tech, maybe you can help us understand LPSI and keep us updated as to what is found when they do the teardown.
Well ford seems to think it was a casting issue with the block, the oil I was running was made to help prevent LSPI (low speed pre ignition) but it does not mean it can’t happen still, since it happens at low speed at high loads. The issue I’m having is I was letting the car do what it’s supposed to do from the factory just driving down the street. I was not in boost, I was only giving enough throttle to maintain my speed on a flat surface.. and yet the rod left the block.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Well ford seems to think it was a casting issue with the block, the oil I was running was made to help prevent LSPI (low speed pre ignition) but it does not mean it can’t happen still, since it happens at low speed at high loads. The issue I’m having is I was letting the car do what it’s supposed to do from the factory just driving down the street. I was not in boost, I was only giving enough throttle to maintain my speed on a flat surface.. and yet the rod left the block.
what brand of oil? curious

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Crazy! Who would ever think that could happen uder those conditions. And it isn't just Ford, I've seen other small displacement, turbocharged, direct injection motors with the same problem...
There is a rumor that Ford did improve the quality of the connecting rods in 2020 (or at least they have a different part number). Hopefully your get a fresh create motor from Ford and not something outdated. Keep us posted! Glad it's under warranty!!

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a rumor that Ford did improve the quality of the connecting rods in 2020
you could make the rods out of the strongest material not invented and it wouldn't matter. The problem isn't the rods, it's the detonation or other mal-ignition that found the weakest link in the chain and took it out. Fix the ignition problem and your rods could be made of chilled butter.

Turboash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
Crazy! Who would ever think that could happen uder those conditions. And it isn't just Ford, I've seen other small displacement, turbocharged, direct injection motors with the same problem...
There is a rumor that Ford did improve the quality of the connecting rods in 2020 (or at least they have a different part number). Hopefully your get a fresh create motor from Ford and not something outdated. Keep us posted! Glad it's under warranty!!
Hopefully it is a new stronger refresh. I’ll check all the block casting numbers and stuff when I get it back. Other turbo motors may have had it but this is the first motor I’ve ever seen just throw a rod out of the block cruising down the road.

32474709-023E-4EE5-AD12-9BFB99D448CF.png

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
you could make the rods out of the strongest material not invented and it wouldn't matter. The problem isn't the rods, it's the detonation or other mal-ignition that found the weakest link in the chain and took it out. Fix the ignition problem and your rods could be made of chilled butter.
Your right, strengthen one link of the chain, and another will break. Any suggestions on how to reduce the risk of detonation?

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Hopefully it is a new stronger refresh. I’ll check all the block casting numbers and stuff when I get it back. Other turbo motors may have had it but this is the first motor I’ve ever seen just throw a rod out of the block cruising down the road.

32474709-023E-4EE5-AD12-9BFB99D448CF.png
Ford should be embarrassed! I've always driven Fords and probably always will... Hopefully they will continue to improve the Ecoboost motor (and change the name of the mustang mach e, to just the mach e)!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have no confidence in Ford's fuel tuning. Mine was flashed within 2 weeks of signing papers. All I can suggest is use high-test fuel, keep the motor spinning, and hope whatever gremlin bit OP doesn't also come for you.

I'll say it again, the Ford factory fueling is atrocious. I don't know if the FRPP tune fixes anything.
Sponsored