ECOBOOM!

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly my point. I think that's a defect from Ford. So I'm gonna complain today and make a claim. Worth a try.
I think there is someone on the form that can help with that complaint [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION]
Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Because there is a federal law against them doing that.

"Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure."

Also they cannot require you to use genuine ford branded parts in case say you replace your clutch or drive shaft and you replace it with an aftermarket unit, they cannot void your warranty based on tie-in parts.
And how much time (money) do you think Ford (or dealer) will spend to investigate the issue? There are a ton of laws with good intent, but getting them to actually provide you with favor is another story.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
A broken camshaft bolt sounds like a defect to me. Ford should be paying for the repair under warranty. I am no mechanical engineer but I don't see any connection between a tune and broken camshaft bolt.

I would open a case with Ford and raise hell. Make sure you document the entire process with pics so you have evidence of the failure.
I agree! Moreover, they should have torn the engine down to find out what was really wrong before denying the claim out of hand...

<TED>

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I repeat, a broken camshaft bolt sounds like a defect and has nothing to do with a tune or other modifications as long as those modifications were outside of the camshaft itself. If you didn't previously remove the camshaft, mess with it, or replace it they legally can't deny warranty claims if the broken part was not a result of modifications.

Open a case with Ford and let them explain to you how a broken camshaft bolt was a result of a tune or other modifications. It's your money brother and opening a case costs nothing.
Actually, you can take it all the way to arbitration without a lawyer...

<TED>

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Why should Ford spend their time and money to investigate a car that has been modified outside of the perimeters they built? How do we know the tune didn't cause the extra stress on the camshaft bolt?
How do you know it did? Since there is a demonstrable failure and the car is under warranty, the burden shifts to Ford to prove that the owner's mods were the cause of the failure...

<TED>

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
How do you know it did? Since there is a demonstrable failure and the car is under warranty, the burden shifts to Ford to prove that the owner's mods were the cause of the failure...

<TED>
Warranty was voided when aftermarket parts were installed. The burden doesn't shift to Ford since they're not going to work on it. It is now up to the owner to sue Ford. And Ford has more money and better lawyers.;)

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Ya I ordered them. Ford wanted 86 for 1 stock cam. For 217 I got both FP ones . since the 1 has to be removed anyways there's no point keeping them stock so it's worth it to me. And my mechanic is brining a camera to go down inside to make sure nothing internal is messed up. I usually do all my own work but this is out of my league lol.

Ya the next mod is Adam tuned so that works well
I don't think anyone has made a run-free engine design since the 1990's...I hope we're pleasantly surprised on this one. Timing chains aren't supposed to break, ever (unlike timing belts...). Hoping no valves hit pistons inside, or you are up for a new engine here :thumbsup:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Warranty was voided when aftermarket parts were installed. The burden doesn't shift to Ford since they're not going to work on it. It is now up to the owner to sue Ford. And Ford has more money and better lawyers.;)
Once again you are making claims that are complete nonsense as the warranty is not automatically voided once you add aftermarket parts. How many people need to tell you that before it sinks in? Learn how to use Google and do some research instead posting the same incorrect statement for Pete sake.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Once again you are making claims that are complete nonsense as the warranty is not automatically voided once you add aftermarket parts. How many people need to tell you that before it sinks in? Learn how to use Google and do some research instead posting the same incorrect statement for Pete sake.
Because if you tune or run parts and your motor goes kablooey Ford isn't interested in paying for your experimentation. Who is going to spend the money on lawyers and experts to fight? .0001% might duke it out because they have the money.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
And yet his warranty claim was already voided.

But you keep fighting that losing battle.:lol:

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
And yet his warranty claim was already voided.

But you keep fighting that losing battle.:lol:
Stating that modifying your car voids the Warranty is incorrect, silly and ignorant. You are not doing anyone any good by continuing to harass this thread with misinformation.

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
I agree with Maggneto. Page #12 from the 2017 Ford Mustang Owners Manual:

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems).

Note the two words - CAUSED BY. Opening the hood, seeing a few mods and denying the warranty claim is NOT what is described above! My dealer confirmed this as well - the damage needs to be proven to be caused by the modification for a claim to be denied.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I agree with Maggneto. Page #12 from the 2017 Ford Mustang Owners Manual:

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems).

Note the two words - CAUSED BY. Opening the hood, seeing a few mods and denying the warranty claim is NOT what is described above! My dealer confirmed this as well - the damage needs to be proven to be caused by the modification for a claim to be denied.
this is 100% correct. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act protects consumers from having warranties voided when aftermarket parts are used.

Unless this car had aftermarket camshafts or aftermarket timing equipment, the warranty would still be in place for a bolt failure, as there is NOTHING a tune or any other bolt-on part can do to cause a bolt that was installed at the factory to fail. In this case, Ford is 100% responsible for the repair of this engine, and should also reimburse the owner for having the motor torn down to verify the cause of the failure.

Furthermore, the dealer cannot void his warranty, only Ford can. The dealer can simply refuse to work on the car due to aftermarket parts, but the consumer has the option to take the car to any other dealer to get the issue resolved. A good dealership would have informed him that they speculate the issue was caused by the aftermarket parts, and offered to tear the motor down to verify, but inform the consumer of the possibility of the cost being on them if damage was found to be a direct result of aftermarket modifications.

Had a rod bolt broken, or a piston ring snapped, Ford would likely void the warranty due to the car having an aftermarket tune that could be proven to cause those damages. A camshaft bolt is not affected in any way by a tune, and I'd be willing to bet lawyers would LOVE to have this case if Ford denies responsibility as long as all damages and modifications are documented up to this point.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
A camshaft bolt is not affected in any way by a tune, and I'd be willing to bet lawyers would LOVE to have this case if Ford denies responsibility as long as all damages and modifications are documented up to this point.
The only problem is that lawyers want to get paid.

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
If it's a violation of a US act, the attorney general can choose to take the class or case if it is over 50,000. If not, the plaintiff is refunded, by the defendant the entire cost of attorney, legal fees and so on. Most companies are not going to fight you on this. Their attorney fees cost significantly more than the cost of an engine. Remember, Ford doesn't get free attorneys either. This is a state case if FORD denies the warranty without proof. You can find literally hundreds of examples of consumers using this act and settling before there was any trial.
Sponsored