Sponsored

2020 Mustang GT Premium PP complete engine failure at 1800 miles.

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I bought this car new in March. Noticed the Tick immediately, although it wasn’t very loud. Called the dealer and they said it’s normal according to Ford. It got a little worse as time went on. Still not a huge problem, although embarrassing for a $55,000 car.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. The motor occasionally started making a peculiar sound that I knew wasn’t good. It didn’t happen every time out so I started second guessing myself about the significance of it. I called the Ford dealer to set up an appointment to look at it (August 23rd) and also change the oil. I had read enough info on here to decide I wanted 5-30 oil when it was changed.

Fast forward to this last Wednesday. I was cruising the neighborhood. Never exceeded 40 mph. About 10 minutes into the drive and the engine started making a metal to metal sound. It quickly got worse so I started looking to pull over immediately without getting run over. By The time I pulled over (maybe 10 seconds) the motor ground to a halt. I knew it was really bad news. I called Ford for a tow truck and called my dealer to tell them what happended and to expect it to arrive shortly.

The dealer still insists they can’t look at it until the 23rd. I said, that’s unfortunate because you are probably going to find a completely trashed motor and will then need to order a replacement. I doubt it can be repaired and don’t even want a new car with a repaired motor. I want a new motor. At least the dealer provided me a rental car until mine is fixed.

Does anyone have experience with this? What are my options? I’ve read on here about short blocks, long blocks and crate engines. Is there any chance I could get a crate engine? That would be my best result. Right? Is a long block a better option than a short block?

Is there any chance Ford would just buy me out of this car (once again, 1800 miles). If not, is there any chance they would replace it with a new 2020?

Grasping at straws here. Never expected anything like this to happen.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
As long as you didn’t mod. Warranty will replace the engine no questions asked. Short block is fine as long as your heads weren’t damaged.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
How does this work with matching #'s? Is it the same or just like *factory replaced note on the car?

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
How does this work with matching #'s? Is it the same or just like *factory replaced note on the car?
Do engines still have etched VINs on them? I feel like it would just be stickers at this point. Have you seen how many QR codes on labels are in the engine bay?

Sponsored

Donny53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Do engines still have etched VINs on them? I feel like it would just be stickers at this point. Have you seen how many QR codes on labels are in the engine bay?
My VIN of my car is stamped on the drivers side of the block.

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
You will get a new engine under warranty. Had mine replaced at 4400 miles, was drinking oil, tapping/knocking and then started running on 5 cylinders. The dealer had it for a week and they got me a rental car, it had to be a Ford rental car or truck.
And no they won't let you have the bad engine, I tried.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
You will get a new engine under warranty. Had mine replaced at 4400 miles, was drinking oil, tapping/knocking and then started running on 5 cylinders. The dealer had it for a week and they got me a rental car, it had to be a Ford rental car or truck.
And no they won't let you have the bad engine, I tried.
lol where do u think ur "new" engine comes from :p

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
YOU are in charge of this situation. Tell Ford you want a brand new car and you want it immediately. Making that happen is their problem. If they drag their feet, show up with a lawyer, better business bureau, and state regulatory agencies. Ford's goal is to make you eat this lemon and act like they are doing you a favor. Ford will do what is right but only if YOU make them. Contact a lawyer now.

t this poi

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Don’t listen to that…no lawyers, no lemon law. They’ll replace the motor, and all will be well. They won’t do a buyback unless it falls under lemon law…which as of this moment it doesn’t.

Sponsored

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Do you trust your local Ford mechanics to do an engine rebuild/transplant without scratching your paint or leaving a bolt or clamp loose. I don't. My latest experience with Ford was new tires on performance package wheels and an alignment. The rear tires were indeed on the rear axle, however the rear wheels were both on the driver's side. Your money, your car, your choice. You pain a hell of a lot of money for that car and any thing less than perfection is unacceptable.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So to answer some of the questions with a tad more facts:

A numbers matched engine will never happen with any warranty engine replacement in any Ford. Once the original is pulled, numbers matched is out the door.

No offense either with this statement - BUT a "numbers matched" drivetrain is only more significant in a limited edition vehicle. If we're talking just the S550 - the 2015 50th LE, Bullitt, Mach 1 , PP2 or any GT350, GT350R, GT500. The standard GT's and EB's - numbers matched means jack - they're cookie cut Mustangs and lowest on the chain as far as that being of any real concern, now, in the last 50+ years, or the future.

Now as far as the concern with the engine tick and ultimate failure as it sits now... you have options. You can call the Ford 800# and get a Regional CSR who will give you a Case Number. This puts your vehicle at priority, it also documents the issues you have been having, it documents the stages of repair and the Service Center must collaborate with the CSR for getting the CSR repaired in a timely manner to make the customer whole.

--

As with any Ford product - in order to qualify as a Lemon, it has to meet State Lemon Law requirements, period. The Ford Buy Back (RAV) goes by your home State's Lemon Laws. It does not deviate from those laws, nor is it manipulated. You have to review your Home State's Lemon Laws and be aware of what is afforded to you as far as a consumer. In many States the only way a vehicle can instantly become a Lemon is IF:

The vehicle has been in for warranty work at the Service Center for up to 30 consecutive calendar days OR 30 calendar days within a year. Again the deviation is by State Lemon Laws.

You're at the initial stages. State Lemon Laws also state that the vehicle Manufacturer has to be given the opportunity to repair and make the customer whole. So a Lemon or Buy Back claim cannot commence UNLESS by default it mete or exceeds the 30 consecutive day or 30-calendar day provision.

I would make it a point to start a Case, make your Regional CSR that you have inquired or had prior inspection of the vehicle performed by your Service Center and you were told it was not a concern.

If the car is still under the new car 3/36, the engine wouid be replaced. If the car is behind the 3/36 and is still within the 5/60 Powertrain, the engine wouid be replaced. If the Owner has an ESP that covers drivetrain, the engine would be replaced. "Be replaced" would be if there is no tune and no modifications that were directly related to its failure.

---

Seeing multiple engine failures across the S550 platforms over the years - my guess is that your failure might have something to do with the timing system.

OP
OP
GW68

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
So to answer some of the questions with a tad more facts:

A numbers matched engine will never happen with any warranty engine replacement in any Ford. Once the original is pulled, numbers matched is out the door.

No offense either with this statement - BUT a "numbers matched" drivetrain is only more significant in a limited edition vehicle. If we're talking just the S550 - the 2015 50th LE, Bullitt, Mach 1 , PP2 or any GT350, GT350R, GT500. The standard GT's and EB's - numbers matched means jack - they're cookie cut Mustangs and lowest on the chain as far as that being of any real concern, now, in the last 50+ years, or the future.

Now as far as the concern with the engine tick and ultimate failure as it sits now... you have options. You can call the Ford 800# and get a Regional CSR who will give you a Case Number. This puts your vehicle at priority, it also documents the issues you have been having, it documents the stages of repair and the Service Center must collaborate with the CSR for getting the CSR repaired in a timely manner to make the customer whole.

--

As with any Ford product - in order to qualify as a Lemon, it has to meet State Lemon Law requirements, period. The Ford Buy Back (RAV) goes by your home State's Lemon Laws. It does not deviate from those laws, nor is it manipulated. You have to review your Home State's Lemon Laws and be aware of what is afforded to you as far as a consumer. In many States the only way a vehicle can instantly become a Lemon is IF:

The vehicle has been in for warranty work at the Service Center for up to 30 consecutive calendar days OR 30 calendar days within a year. Again the deviation is by State Lemon Laws.

You're at the initial stages. State Lemon Laws also state that the vehicle Manufacturer has to be given the opportunity to repair and make the customer whole. So a Lemon or Buy Back claim cannot commence UNLESS by default it mete or exceeds the 30 consecutive day or 30-calendar day provision.

I would make it a point to start a Case, make your Regional CSR that you have inquired or had prior inspection of the vehicle performed by your Service Center and you were told it was not a concern.

If the car is still under the new car 3/36, the engine wouid be replaced. If the car is behind the 3/36 and is still within the 5/60 Powertrain, the engine wouid be replaced. If the Owner has an ESP that covers drivetrain, the engine would be replaced. "Be replaced" would be if there is no tune and no modifications that were directly related to its failure.

---

Seeing multiple engine failures across the S550 platforms over the years - my guess is that your failure might have something to do with the timing system.
Thanks for the detailed response. I don’t have an issue yet with the dealer other than the delay in getting the car in the bay until the 23rd. I think they will do better than that due to my relationship with the dealer and my relationship with the sales manager. He lives two houses down the street in my neighborhood. Hopefully that all works in my favor. We will see.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
They owe you a replacement engine, in a timely manner, and nothing more.

Don't let your ego/emotions run this, stick with the facts.

No, you're not getting a $10K crate engine out of this. :cwl: :cwl:

Be prepared to be in a rental for a long time, as replacement engines might be scarce.

OP
OP
GW68

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Do you trust your local Ford mechanics to do an engine rebuild/transplant without scratching your paint or leaving a bolt or clamp loose. I don't. My latest experience with Ford was new tires on performance package wheels and an alignment. The rear tires were indeed on the rear axle, however the rear wheels were both on the driver's side. Your money, your car, your choice. You pain a hell of a lot of money for that car and any thing less than perfection is unacceptable.
My Ford dealer is very reputable, however their service department has grown exponentially in the last two years and I have no idea how the new hires play into that.
Sponsored