Sponsored

How common is EcoBoom?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I started researching the EcoBoost Mustang the beginning of January then purchased my car a few weeks after that. During that time and while researching mods afterwards, I've read a number of posts about the dreaded EcoBoom. Granted some people will only post when they have a problem while there are many other EcoBoost Mustangs that are still going strong but... it seems like a high number of EcoBoost Mustang owners have had internal engine parts escape from the side of the block. I read another post about this a few hours ago. The only mod done to the car was an induction. So how common is it and why does it happen? I can understand possible engine failure after an extra couple hundred horsepower has been added. Or to much boost/nitrous. The range that I've read about has been from stock to heavily modified and everything in between.

Also, do other EcoBoost vehicles experience this problem or is it limited to the Mustang?
Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I think you would need to define "high" and consider the number of units bought and sold, as well you would need to determine how many of these detonated cars are user error, because NO ONE will tell you exactly what they were doing, what they have done, etc. prior to a failure, they never admit when they are not just driving to get milk, but they are doing a never ending burnout....... or run a tune for mods they did not have etc. . Take what you read with a grain of salt.... For instance I have nearly 65k and I am going on my second larger turbo. I have run methanol, run a dangerously lean condition once due to damaged waste gate hose and just lost one plug. It is still running well. Now mind you I have primarily run race oil only, been very quick off the throttle and do keep an eye on things. Whereas I would submit that a lot of the I will call them "boomers" may not be very in tune and are just mod happy. Then you have some that just had bad luck with a stock unit, then you have the actual gear heads that know whats going on. I am in no means everyone lies or is just making a scene but there are some in the mix. This muddies up the topic. Again grain of salt everything you read. (add in bad Ford service mechanics because thats a thing.)

There was a few units that had bad head gaskets that was prevalent enough for the Forcus RS to have a service bulletin for it. As far as I know I have not seen one for the Mustang yet (someone cite if there is and I have missed it.)

For instance I know absolutely no one in my area with an EBM that has creating a window in their block. I know dozens of owners through club events etc. I would just say make sure you watch your oil, coolant, and AFRs and knock counts and always let your car get to operating temp before you give it the beans, and let it idle at least a minute before you shut it off. Also one TIP I have, is you can actually prime your engine a little by putting you gas pedal to the floor while hitting the start button, and it will not start but you can get the oil pump some turns this way. (holding it to the floor). This is a service tool that is not really documented. When its really cold out, I have used this as I drive year round to ensure the turbo has some oil in it prior to a really cold start. =) As long as things are in good shape and you run 91+ octane and only get your gas at known stations. Do not go to some generic small mom and pop gas stations and run a high octane tune, you could be asking for trouble.

=)

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
There is a very well document phenomenon that a person with a bad experience will on average tell 20 people but a person with a good experience will only tell 5. So you are 4 times more likely to here about a bad experience.

Ford thinks enough of the 2.3 Ecoboost motor to put it in the Ford Explorer, Lincoln MKC and the new Ford Ranger. Especially the Ranger, it is going to be the only available engine. There will likely 2 or 3 times as many Rangers solid this year as there have been Ecoboost Mustangs since 15. If Ford had any concerns about the engine they wouldn't be using it in a bread and butter vehicle.

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a very well document phenomenon that a person with a bad experience will on average tell 20 people but a person with a good experience will only tell 5. So you are 4 times more likely to here about a bad experience.

Ford thinks enough of the 2.3 Ecoboost motor to put it in the Ford Explorer, Lincoln MKC and the new Ford Ranger. Especially the Ranger, it is going to be the only available engine. There will likely 2 or 3 times as many Rangers solid this year as there have been Ecoboost Mustangs since 15. If Ford had any concerns about the engine they wouldn't be using it in a bread and butter vehicle.
Yup couldn't agree more, if they were imploding they would not make it the next 302/351C =) Heck possible next year models may have two of them in the pony lineup. If it was a vast flop as people would be made to believe in the forums, it would not be a thing. Hence lets not make a mountain here. =)

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Some of us have been around these forums from the beginning and have read all/most of the Ecoboom threads.

There vast majority of Ecobooms (90%) are/were caused by user error, mods, and/or ECU tuned. The same is true for other EB engines as far as I can tell from the other EB forums.

I use 2 dealerships to service my car and not a single 2.3 has blown or needed replacement at either dealership in 4 years. As others have mentioned, the 2.3 is used in multiple vehicles and is a solid engine.

Unfortunately, many Ecobooms are caused by backyard mechanics and ECU tuning gone wrong, or some combination of mods, ECU tuning, and unknown environment variables such as a low octane event that contributes to the failures.

Some focus RS had the wrong head gasket installed which caused a problem but that didn't impact the Mustangs.

Finding a legitimate bone stock Ecoboom , IE, non ECU tuned or modified is rare.

Last edited:

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
There vast majority of Ecobooms (90%) are/were caused by user error, mods, and/or ECU tuned
A forum geared towards people who modify has a higher number of modified cars *thinking*

As others have mentioned, the 2.3 is used in multiple vehicles and is a solid engine.
Which version? AFAIK our exact design isn't in any other car, not even the Focus RS.

Agreed that a lot of modifed booms are due to user error though, push the engine and suddenly your margin for error shrinks

The main thing is that a modified car will more likely be denied warranty, even if the mods didnt cause the problem. That will cost a fair bit to fix.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A forum geared towards people who modify has a higher number of modified cars *thinking*

Which version? AFAIK our exact design isn't in any other car, not even the Focus RS.

Agreed that a lot of modifed booms are due to user error though, push the engine and suddenly your margin for error shrinks

The main thing is that a modified car will more likely be denied warranty, even if the mods didnt cause the problem. That will cost a fair bit to fix.
I do not rely solely on this site, but internet chatter in general and talking to Ford service technicians.

If there is an engine defect and stock, non modified or non ECU tuned engines are failing you can bet we would be able to find some data on the interent after 5 years.

Just look how the Focus RS head gasket worked its way into internet chatter. The dreaded 5.0 piston slap / BBQ tick chatter is another example of what to expect when a defect or abnormal behavior exists.

The Mustang Ecoboom chatter is nearly always modified, ECU tuned or user error.

Which version? Any version of the 2.3.

These engines have been around for 5 years in different configurations and there are no reports of abnormal engine failures that I can find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I'm on a couple of the Facebook EBM groups. My original post was made after reading about someone's engine making it's last revolutions with just an aftermarket induction. And now a new post from a 2015 owner. Engine is stock and regular oil changes. He now has a pile of metal parts. Plus another owner posted that his is dead. The car has a tune.

Some are covered under warranty, some owners have to pay for a stock replacement and others look to the aftermarket. Has the 2.0 block with 2.3 internals been a proven combination to eliminate the chances of an EcoBoom?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So the majority of failures I read about are 2015's. A few 2016's but I have yet to see a 2017 or 2018. Doesn't mean they don't exist but I do feel safer if I tune my 18 as the vast majority are 2015 and 2016 model years that fail.

Regarding the 2.0 block, it has thicker cylinder walls that are less prone and highly unlikely to crack/fail. The 2.3 has much thinner walls combined with weak internals that make it more susceptible to going boom. From what I can tell no one has had an issue with a built 2.0 block.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the majority of failures I read about are 2015's. A few 2016's but I have yet to see a 2017 or 2018. Doesn't mean they don't exist but I do feel safer if I tune my 18 as the vast majority are 2015 and 2016 model years that fail.

Regarding the 2.0 block, it has thicker cylinder walls that are less prone and highly unlikely to crack/fail. The 2.3 has much thinner walls combined with weak internals that make it more susceptible to going boom. From what I can tell no one has had an issue with a built 2.0 block.
The 2015's were blowing left and right as soon as some tuners started using them as test engines. When they starting getting feedback from the blown engines the tuners adapted and so there were less failures as time went on but there are plenty of blown 2016s who thought they were safe because they were told the problems were with 2015 only.

A tuner blamed an engine defect in 2015 for the failures instead.of owning up to his mistakes. Once the 2016 engines started blowing up the tuner left M6G and ran off to Facebook.

This is commonly overlooked by arm chair troubleshooters.

Another common misconception is a stock engine doesn't include a tune which is false. The ECU tune controls the engine so it isn't stock once tuned

There are many tuned engines that are fine but do not think you are safe because of the year. Just ask the 2016 owners who have a big hole in the block because they thought the failures were 2015 related.

One other fact to note is the 2015 Valencia engines came with a more aggressive factory tune so tuners had to push the boundaries to squeeze more HP and torque from a 2015 vs 2016-2017 Cleveland engines. This is evident from testing done on early Ecoboost cars with 0-60 times of 5.2 seconds vs 2016-2017 that were in the 6+ range.

After 5 years of debate there is still not a single shred of evidence that 2015 engines have any defect that makes them more prone to failure.

In conclusion, once you put aside all the ECU tuned, modified, and user error failures there are very few problems with the 2.3 engine.

Here is a quick list of mostly M6G members with blown engines that I put together in 2017. I included some other data outside of M6G with links. There is only 1 stock failure in this list. Anyone know of any other stock failure data?

M6G

@Slow89 "He's popping motors left and right. He's blown TWO of my friends motor here in California. And one was just a 91 tune with no bolt ons."
[MENTION=6600]ThunderHorse[/MENTION] - unsure of build dates/plants for 2 motors. STOCK untuned.
@Impulsed7 : unsure of build plant/date
@PICANTE : unsure of build plant/date
@NothernVAMustang : unsure of build plant/date
@Razedzz : unsure of build plant/date
@5.0dad : unsure of build plant/date

Valencia:
@cthomas5714
@PRG3k
@TunaFish15
@Joemomma22 I dig my 93 tune+. My engine blew. I had a cracked piston. Warranty Covered.
@Brianh922 my Eco did blow up...on a 7163 Full-Race kit, E85, stock unopened Spain motor(VEP 678). And yes I was Adam Tuned. I guess I'm the ONLY Big turbo stock motor car that's ever blown.
@JSCOTT0812 Mine blew up with the Vargas Stage 2 turbo installed. Tuned by Adam. Late 2014 motor at 15k miles.
@Mustang 2.3 12k miles -Build 10/14, Manual - stock, not tuned. Warranty covered
@marjen 27k miles,-Build date 10/14 - Auto
@Mattrix 4018 Miles - Build Date 10/31/14 - Auto
@DanFish 16000 Miles-Build date 10/24 - Auto
@stormtrooper Unknown Miles, unknown Build date, Auto Cylinder 2 let go and went through the bottom of the oil pan
@Cmw458 Yessir automatic. Blew while in normal drive mode 5300
@Fast64ranchero build date is 3/15 #3 rod out the pan
@hipporo Spanish built. EE100 051214... I think it was built on 12/05/14
@MiDiablo Mine blew up, too. Also a 2015. Also a hole by the turbo (7 holes total, actually).
@kyle009 deleted post
@navair133 2015 with engine built in Spain. Livernois tune. Engine blew at 65,000 miles. Number one piston cracked wide open - Warranty covered.
@NewSVO buddie's shop and there's oil in cylinder #3 technicians there calls Ford and tells them my engine has NO oil and no dipstick
@greg hazlett gutted the PVC for Catch can

Cleveland:
@hmdballa219 First confirmed Cleveland on M6G. March 24th 2015 Cobb OTS 93 tune
@Ap8823 - 5300 build date 7.3.15 Cleveland?
@PJB Cleveland Auto - Put back to stock, Warranty covered. Just filled up.
@Woodshop77 Cleveland Auto - filled up 40 miles prior.
@snugpixel Cleveland Auto - unleashed - just filled up.
@ecoboosting threw a rod a on E30 tune.
@Jake : build date of 5/29/15 - LMS 91 tune, 93 octane in the tank (half full) - Cracked #2 cylinder - 25k miles, tuned for at least 20k- Warranty replacement covered
@derpington My build date was 11 Jan 16 / 1500 miles on it. I was in traffic, at about 2500 RPM
@S5fiddy threw a rod a at around 3k RPM, going about 45 mph. (Car has 74k miles on it). LMS 91 tune

Facebook:

@Juben

A blown motor, on the FP tune, was just posted on FB with pics. It had the tune and an intercooler and was just installed two days prior to popping. It took out Cylinder #2 and had a code for a Cyl. 2 misfire. What's interesting is that it bent the rod and it didn't snap. This now makes (2) cases that I've seen with bent rods. That can sometimes save the block but his cracked the piston and did a good bit of damage to it, so the entire motor is being replaced by Ford under warranty.

YouTube:

millennial Mohammad: on YouTube Cleveland

Mustang Evo:

grabber12: 2nd hand with pics of the blown motor car only has 5k miles

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t376753/

my buddy has a 2016 ecoboost (Cleveland) tuned by cobb. He has a aftermarket intercooler & waste gate upgrade. He just installed meth injection today and was playing around with it and now a rod is sticking out the side of his block. Any advice on a new short block? Who's making short blocks for these?

mikeygaga: 2nd hand with pics of engine - put back to stock warranty covered

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t376904/

yet another blown ecoboost engine. My buddy's 2015. He was running a turbo back exhaust, intercooler, intake and Lund tune. Cylinder 3 took a poop on him. He put everything back to stock and is now trying to find a dealer that will cover it under warranty.

So update.. he put everything back to stock and found a dealer who's covering a brand new engine for him. He got extremely lucky. Stopped by the dealer today and snapped a pic of the blown cylinder.

SVT Perf

https://www.*******************/forums/threads/engine-failure.1108767/

Dragonpassion - warranty covered.

blew my 2015 eco on her final tune. Sct tuner,, off road down piped, leathel performance intercooler upgrade kit with aliminum charge pipe etc, air aid cold air, 3 inch magnaflow street ex. Turbo smart blow off and turbo smart 10 psi waste.Out on her final dyno tune on a base run on the street, with my tuner ( that tuned my 2013 boss, whipple blown, etc to 730 hp and 659 ft trque, never has had a glitch, and i ride her HARD) and the rode let go and pit a nice size hole in her block, a massive oil spill down the road until she was brought to a stop. Put her all back to stock and ford came and inspected her. 50 days latter i had her back, new engine installed. Siad it was a faulty rod, small fracture. Ford (I LOVE FORD) replaced it with a factory line engine. Went at 12000 plus miles. Now has 19000, 7000 on new engine from ford.2000 break in, then restored to before stated modes, re tuned and has been fine. Conservitive tune at 319 hp and 359 torque at wheels. Torque was pulled out by tuner to come on a little father into rpms, about 3000. Other wise she just roasted her tires. And yes... sorry, she is a auto

Last edited:

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
One other fact to note is the 2015 Valencia engines came with a more aggressive factory tune so tuners had to push the boundaries to squeeze more HP and torque from a 2015 vs 2016-2017 Cleveland engines. This is evident from testing done on early Ecoboost cars with 0-60 times of 5.2 seconds vs 2016-2017 that were in the 6+ range.
Something else I have thought hard about recently, and might have a bit of merit to it...

Has ANYONE blown a 2.3 while bone stock with 87 octane in the tank? Reason for this thought is the car will learn the octane, and adjust the timing to increase power when better than 87 octane is utilized. With the number of rental cars running around, one would think these things would be blowing left and right if it was just a weakness in the motor design causing problems, but it does seem that more of the earlier cars with hotter stock tunes tend to blow as well as the cars with aftermarket tunes. This would still lead me to point towards attempting to extract too much power from a motor that potentially isn't up to handling it, it just seems that aftermarket tuning possibly makes it even more susceptible to blow.

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Something else I have thought hard about recently, and might have a bit of merit to it...

Has ANYONE blown a 2.3 while bone stock with 87 octane in the tank? Reason for this thought is the car will learn the octane, and adjust the timing to increase power when better than 87 octane is utilized. With the number of rental cars running around, one would think these things would be blowing left and right if it was just a weakness in the motor design causing problems, but it does seem that more of the earlier cars with hotter stock tunes tend to blow as well as the cars with aftermarket tunes. This would still lead me to point towards attempting to extract too much power from a motor that potentially isn't up to handling it, it just seems that aftermarket tuning possibly makes it even more susceptible to blow.
That one I have no clue, I have not seen any posts saying so, but then again alot of the time you never hear the gas that was run, however a good point here, you should never be running 87 octane on these motors anyway regardless of the learning curve of the ECU. One item that leads me to believe this is not a good idea is generally the lowest octane available is usually purchased at the lowest cost and anyone buying 87 most likely are cheaping out either they just cannot afford 91/93 or will not do it by choice. So they will get it at any station which is a no no. I learned this the hard way a couple of years ago with my EBM and I was getting 93 and it was full of water. I have heard of others getting 87 and getting less than 87 octane. These ECU are not miracle workers they can only handle so much adjustment and will knock and ping even under idea circumstances but with low grade fuel.

Running my car for the last 6 months stock now on the stock tune and I have to say I would never run 87, the car cannot handle highway speeds in 6th gear on the stock tune comfortably. I have found that I rather stay in 5th gear. Tuned however the car in 6th feels normal. Seems to me that the stock tune is not very good with LSPI conditions at all. Imagine if you run low grade fuel on top of this. Not saying there have been tons of LSPI events but I never felt comfortable on a stock tune on the highway yet. Hence the modding.

The motors in my opinion are fine with the power up to about 400wheel, but the 2015s I question that as you stated. However I am not going to blame an aftermarket tune as the culprit till you have more data to play with on the subject, because alot of the ecbooms were modded, and alot were not, and not all on the same tune, or same mods. Too many variables. MAP ran their stock over 500HP and only had a problem with an application that deals with the fuel failed and they smoked that block, but I would imagine had they left it at where they had it, it would have been ok.
The 2015's were blowing left and right as soon as some tuners started using them as test engines. When they starting getting feedback from the blown engines the tuners adapted and so there were less failures as time went on but there are plenty of blown 2016s who thought they were safe because they were told the problems were with 2015 only.

A tuner blamed an engine defect in 2015 for the failures instead.of owning up to his mistakes. Once the 2016 engines started blowing up the tuner left M6G and ran off to Facebook.

This is commonly overlooked by arm chair troubleshooters.

Another common misconception is a stock engine doesn't include a tune which is false. The ECU tune controls the engine so it isn't stock once tuned

There are many tuned engines that are fine but do not think you are safe because of the year. Just ask the 2016 owners who have a big hole in the block because they thought the failures were 2015 related.

After 5 years of debate there is still not a single shred of evidence that 2015 engines have any defect that makes them more prone to failure.

In conclusion, once you put aside all the ECU tuned, modified, and user error failures there are very few problems with the 2.3 engine.

Here is a quick list of mostly M6G members with blown engines that I put together in 2017. I included some other data outside of M6G with links. There is only 1 stock failure in this list. Anyone know of any other stock failure data?

M6G

@Slow89 "He's popping motors left and right. He's blown TWO of my friends motor here in California. And one was just a 91 tune with no bolt ons."
[MENTION=6600]ThunderHorse[/MENTION] - unsure of build dates/plants for 2 motors. STOCK untuned.
@Impulsed7 : unsure of build plant/date
@PICANTE : unsure of build plant/date
@NothernVAMustang : unsure of build plant/date
@Razedzz : unsure of build plant/date
@5.0dad : unsure of build plant/date

Valencia:
@cthomas5714
@PRG3k
@TunaFish15
@Joemomma22 I dig my 93 tune+. My engine blew. I had a cracked piston. Warranty Covered.
@Brianh922 my Eco did blow up...on a 7163 Full-Race kit, E85, stock unopened Spain motor(VEP 678). And yes I was Adam Tuned. I guess I'm the ONLY Big turbo stock motor car that's ever blown.
@JSCOTT0812 Mine blew up with the Vargas Stage 2 turbo installed. Tuned by Adam. Late 2014 motor at 15k miles.
@Mustang 2.3 12k miles -Build 10/14, Manual - stock, not tuned. Warranty covered
@marjen 27k miles,-Build date 10/14 - Auto
@Mattrix 4018 Miles - Build Date 10/31/14 - Auto
@DanFish 16000 Miles-Build date 10/24 - Auto
@stormtrooper Unknown Miles, unknown Build date, Auto Cylinder 2 let go and went through the bottom of the oil pan
@Cmw458 Yessir automatic. Blew while in normal drive mode 5300
@Fast64ranchero build date is 3/15 #3 rod out the pan
@hipporo Spanish built. EE100 051214... I think it was built on 12/05/14
@MiDiablo Mine blew up, too. Also a 2015. Also a hole by the turbo (7 holes total, actually).
@kyle009 deleted post
@navair133 2015 with engine built in Spain. Livernois tune. Engine blew at 65,000 miles. Number one piston cracked wide open - Warranty covered.
@NewSVO buddie's shop and there's oil in cylinder #3 technicians there calls Ford and tells them my engine has NO oil and no dipstick
@greg hazlett gutted the PVC for Catch can

Cleveland:
@hmdballa219 First confirmed Cleveland on M6G. March 24th 2015 Cobb OTS 93 tune
@Ap8823 - 5300 build date 7.3.15 Cleveland?
@PJB Cleveland Auto - Put back to stock, Warranty covered. Just filled up.
@Woodshop77 Cleveland Auto - filled up 40 miles prior.
@snugpixel Cleveland Auto - unleashed - just filled up.
@ecoboosting threw a rod a on E30 tune.
@Jake : build date of 5/29/15 - LMS 91 tune, 93 octane in the tank (half full) - Cracked #2 cylinder - 25k miles, tuned for at least 20k- Warranty replacement covered
@derpington My build date was 11 Jan 16 / 1500 miles on it. I was in traffic, at about 2500 RPM
@S5fiddy threw a rod a at around 3k RPM, going about 45 mph. (Car has 74k miles on it). LMS 91 tune

Facebook:

@Juben

A blown motor, on the FP tune, was just posted on FB with pics. It had the tune and an intercooler and was just installed two days prior to popping. It took out Cylinder #2 and had a code for a Cyl. 2 misfire. What's interesting is that it bent the rod and it didn't snap. This now makes (2) cases that I've seen with bent rods. That can sometimes save the block but his cracked the piston and did a good bit of damage to it, so the entire motor is being replaced by Ford under warranty.

YouTube:

millennial Mohammad: on YouTube Cleveland

Mustang Evo:

grabber12: 2nd hand with pics of the blown motor car only has 5k miles

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t376753/

my buddy has a 2016 ecoboost (Cleveland) tuned by cobb. He has a aftermarket intercooler & waste gate upgrade. He just installed meth injection today and was playing around with it and now a rod is sticking out the side of his block. Any advice on a new short block? Who's making short blocks for these?

mikeygaga: 2nd hand with pics of engine - put back to stock warranty covered

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t376904/

yet another blown ecoboost engine. My buddy's 2015. He was running a turbo back exhaust, intercooler, intake and Lund tune. Cylinder 3 took a poop on him. He put everything back to stock and is now trying to find a dealer that will cover it under warranty.

So update.. he put everything back to stock and found a dealer who's covering a brand new engine for him. He got extremely lucky. Stopped by the dealer today and snapped a pic of the blown cylinder.

SVT Perf

https://www.*******************/forums/threads/engine-failure.1108767/

Dragonpassion - warranty covered.

blew my 2015 eco on her final tune. Sct tuner,, off road down piped, leathel performance intercooler upgrade kit with aliminum charge pipe etc, air aid cold air, 3 inch magnaflow street ex. Turbo smart blow off and turbo smart 10 psi waste.Out on her final dyno tune on a base run on the street, with my tuner ( that tuned my 2013 boss, whipple blown, etc to 730 hp and 659 ft trque, never has had a glitch, and i ride her HARD) and the rode let go and pit a nice size hole in her block, a massive oil spill down the road until she was brought to a stop. Put her all back to stock and ford came and inspected her. 50 days latter i had her back, new engine installed. Siad it was a faulty rod, small fracture. Ford (I LOVE FORD) replaced it with a factory line engine. Went at 12000 plus miles. Now has 19000, 7000 on new engine from ford.2000 break in, then restored to before stated modes, re tuned and has been fine. Conservitive tune at 319 hp and 359 torque at wheels. Torque was pulled out by tuner to come on a little father into rpms, about 3000. Other wise she just roasted her tires. And yes... sorry, she is a auto
LOL what I feel is funny about the video in this post, is look what he is doing with the car. This guy should be omitted from the list, this is not a lightly driven car regardless of the # of miles he had on it, look at how he drives it. Only a matter of time, even on a built motor with that type of treatment.... Like the kid with the Hyundai Genesis coupe with the 2.0 Turbo blowing up video, whilst doing donuts lol... how did that happen.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
For those who support that stock EB don't go boom. One of several that I came across on Facebook during the last couple of years.
Screenshot_20190307-130244_Facebook.jpg

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who support that stock EB don't go boom. One of several that I came across on Facebook during the last couple of years.
Screenshot_20190307-130244_Facebook.jpg
I don't think anyone is saying the stock EB doesn't go boom. I have seen a few threads of bone stock failures over the years but they are rare. So how common is the Ecoboom depends on whether or not the engine is modified or ECU tuned and by whom it was tuned or modified. There are some tuners with a lot of Ecobooms and some with very few. There are also some user error failures.

There does appear to be more 2015 ECU tuned failures and it could be the more aggressive factory tune is a contributing factor. The 2016 and 2017 appear to have been re-tuned by Ford.

There have been a few members with failures that claimed stock engines but were actually ECU tuned or modified. I find it interesting that the post from Facebook says he had to fight Ford for replacement? If it was stock and under warranty why did he need to fight Ford? Maybe he was doing his own maintenance and couldn't provide maintenance records or was it something else.

Our EB is bone stock and my wife uses 87 octane(top tier) when commuting to work. Going on 4 years and 30k miles without a single mechanical issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: