Sponsored

How common is EcoBoom?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Magnetto stop trolling just cause you don't want to believe that any stock blow up doesn't make it true, there are plenty of cases where stocks blow but you never believe a single one as credible. The reason he was getting shit from Ford was cause he was over the factory warranty on 67k miles using his ESP and of course he was not changing his oil at the dealership. I personally think Ford just cuts too many corners like it has been said they got many different variations of the 2.3 , it doesn't take a genius to figure out your going to have more problems having more configurations. Just look at the junk A/C systems they have been producing for over DECADES! How hard is it to make a core that doesn't leak? Hoods that don't rust? Hell my horn gave out after just after 3 years, It has never even crossed my mind being a possible part failure. They just cut too many corners to save dimes on parts. Buy ESP for Fords people I'M so far glad I did.
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
^ That

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Magnetto stop trolling just cause you don't want to believe that any stock blow up doesn't make it true, there are plenty of cases where stocks blow but you never believe a single one as credible. The reason he was getting shit from Ford was cause he was over the factory warranty on 67k miles using his ESP and of course he was not changing his oil at the dealership. I personally think Ford just cuts too many corners like it has been said they got many different variations of the 2.3 , it doesn't take a genius to figure out your going to have more problems having more configurations. Just look at the junk A/C systems they have been producing for over DECADES! How hard is it to make a core that doesn't leak? Hoods that don't rust? Hell my horn gave out after just after 3 years, It has never even crossed my mind being a possible part failure. They just cut too many corners to save dimes on parts. Buy ESP for Fords people I'M so far glad I did.
I have stated on a number of posts that there appear to be some bone stock, factory OEM 2.3 engine failures so your reading comprehension could use some refreshing. Your statement "there are plenty of stock failures" without any data to back it up is Bullshit. We have seen many people claim "stock engine failure" only to find out they were lying based on previous thread or new information.

Both dealerships that I use have had ZERO 2.3 engine failures in 5 years so perhaps stock 2.3 engines only fail in Ohio.

You want to introduce AC Evap failures and your horn not working as proof of many stock engine failures? I think you are hitting the bong too hard brah.

I have said this a thousand times on M6G, If there is a 2.3 engine defect we should know about it so we can pursue Ford and have Ford address the defect. After 5 years of debate, engine tear downs, rebuilding, etc. no one has ever provided anything but opinions. The fact remains that the vast majority of engine failures are modified, ECU tuned or user error. Stock engines are going to fail, that should not be up for debate.

What is up for debate is how common is the Ecoboom when modified, ECU Tuned vs. stock, OEM, non modified, non ECU tuned. So please share all those stock, non modified, non ECU tuned 2.3 Ecobooms so we can be as informed as you on the subject. I am guessing the response from the minions will be crickets as usual.

Here is your Stock failure list so far:

1.> Wes Thomas, Facebook

Here is my Stock failure list:

1.> @Mustang 2.3 12k miles -Build 10/14, Manual - stock, not tuned. Warranty covered
2.> @ThunderHorse - unsure of build dates/plants for 2 motors. STOCK untuned.

I have also read a couple of other alleged stock Ecobooms that appeared to be trustworthy sources but I stopped researching and reading these Ecoboom posts once it was determined that the ECU tunes, modifications, and user error and not an engine defect were the cause of most(90%) of the failures.

But don't take my word for it, do your own research and come to your own conclusions but don't come on here and make stupid statements because your feelings are hurt.

Last edited:

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression this was a question as to how common this was, not what the demographics are for each failure? I mean if you really put it in context to number of units bought and sold, to number of failures, its a pretty small, and to be honest a standard amount of failures considering the mods, non mods, and driver errors. You may have the same discussion of the early gen 1 coyotes too while you are at it. =) Lets move along folks asked and answered...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
That FB post is one that I was referring to. There was another one from two weeks ago that I can't find. That car just had an induction upgrade. Not an EcoBoom but I came across this while I was searching -

Another Ecoboost engine down....
My 2018 died on the freeway last week. Just got the call from the Ford Tech saying it was due to a blown head gasket. Bought the car new last April and it died at 6,900 miles. Only aftermarket upgrade is a Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust system.

Is there anything we can do to reduce the chances of blowing the motor? There are the obvious things like don't get to aggressive with tuning and don't bounce it off the rev limiter everyday. But for stock to mildly modded cars that shouldn't have a problem. Does the changing to the updated fuel sensor really help?

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
@Maggneto The only one that needs reading comprehension is you I never said there was a defect I'm simply stating in my opinion based on known facts about Ford is that failures could be mostly the result of using cheaper parts where the chance of a failure on the EBM (a lower tolerance for error) is higher than the 2.3 on the RS for example, maybe your just not very bright IL break it down for you, cutting corners = shittier products = more failures, these examples unrelated to the engine I listed show how Ford knows but doesn't care and it wouldn't be surprising if they are willing to take in extra failures that would otherwise be avoided if they used better parts that cost more all in favor of short term profits . Besides I don't really read all your BS cause we all know what you believe no point in reading your non sense, you don't even bother looking on the FB page for your articulate "investigation" on the subject where you have the largest base of active ecoboost owners pool that alone shows your biased BS, the only thing we know for sure is you aren't no detective by profession.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Another Ecoboost engine down....
My 2018 died on the freeway last week. Just got the call from the Ford Tech saying it was due to a blown head gasket. Bought the car new last April and it died at 6,900 miles. Only aftermarket upgrade is a Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust system.
I thought the 18 blew cause diesel went in his tank?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
@Maggneto The only one that needs reading comprehension is you I never said there was a defect I'm simply stating in my opinion based on known facts about Ford is that failures could be mostly the result of using cheaper parts where the chance of a failure on the EBM (a lower tolerance for error) is higher than the 2.3 on the RS for example, maybe your just not very bright IL break it down for you, cutting corners = shittier products = more failures, these examples unrelated to the engine I listed show how Ford knows but doesn't care and it wouldn't be surprising if they are willing to take in extra failures that would otherwise be avoided if they used better parts that cost more all in favor of short term profits . Besides I don't really read all your BS cause we all know what you believe no point in reading your non sense, you don't even bother looking on the FB page for your articulate "investigation" on the subject where you have the largest base of active ecoboost owners pool that alone shows your biased BS, the only thing we know for sure is you aren't no detective by profession.
Your response is complete gibberish as expected.

And for your information, I did read the Facebook page when it was public and started a thread using a Facebook post to show how a tuner was making misleading statements about the Ecoboom impacting only 2015 engines. This tuner had a history of making claims about 2015 engine reliability on M6G which are still believed by mindless sheep. Shortly after the group was made private.

I have put together the largest list of Ecobooms to date and posted it to this thread showing that I am in fact the detective while you are the speculator.

Last edited:

19 Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I had read in a separate thread regarding the engine failures that the 2019's were going to have "upgraded internals" such as rods, etc... Can any one confirm this ?
Thanks in advance.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I had read in a separate thread regarding the engine failures that the 2019's were going to have "upgraded internals" such as rods, etc... Can any one confirm this ?
Thanks in advance.
I think the internals have not changed at all.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Same internals

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I have put together the largest list of Ecobooms to date
Link? Id be interested in seeing it.

However its also a messy subject, I know one person who blew two engines and blamed the tune/tuner but he refused to revise and didn't tell his tuner when he blew the first one... so is that a tune issue? IMO it isn't, its the owners issue. But then again the root of it is "bad tune".

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
The more I read about tunes the more I realize it isn’t worth it. All the majority of blown post I read have a sort of tune.

No thx Jeff. Guess I’ll be slow and reliable.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
The more I read about tunes the more I realize it isn’t worth it. All the majority of blown post I read have a sort of tune.

No thx Jeff. Guess I’ll be slow and reliable.
I had the Ford ProCal tune on the 15 EB I used to have and it's not a super aggressive tune. The engine didn't feel leaned out and I never had any issues with it. I can understand being hesitant, though.

Jab1995

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jun
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Ecoboost Mustang Premium Guard Metallic
Mine blew at 42k miles. It only has a catback exhaust, ford performance cai and tune and a DV+ bpv upgrade. Dealer repaired it but I noticed they replaced my FP tune with a conservative tune. Before my boost would reach 20+ psi, now it would not even go beyond 10 psi.
Sponsored