How common is EcoBoom?

Turboash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
I have no confidence in Ford's fuel tuning. Mine was flashed within 2 weeks of signing papers. All I can suggest is use high-test fuel, keep the motor spinning, and hope whatever gremlin bit OP doesn't also come for you.

I'll say it again, the Ford factory fueling is atrocious. I don't know if the FRPP tune fixes anything.
Not sure if that tune fixes anything or not… I do know there is a guy on these fourms that had the ford tune and intake and he threw a rod out of the block as well.. So Not much faith there…
Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Hopefully it is a new stronger refresh. I’ll check all the block casting numbers and stuff when I get it back. Other turbo motors may have had it but this is the first motor I’ve ever seen just throw a rod out of the block cruising down the road.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but you have to know, this was a very rare outcome. My guess is this was something that had built up over time. It's possible that the previous owner lugged the engine repeatedly, not knowing the problems that might cause. Honestly, many people don't understand that at all. They believe that by keeping the RPMs low, they're actually babying the car, but we know it's quite the opposite. Either way, you just don't see many failures of stock engines posted online, and certainly not with such low miles. All engines have their limits, but these do respond well to light modding, and most lightly modded cars with proper tunes seem to be nearly as reliable as stock. You just need to remember that your experience was unique, and there is probably a good explanation for what happened, but you'll never have all the facts, because you didn't own the vehicle for the first 95% of its miles. I still say, break in the replacement engine and then mod it as you initially desired.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
At the track, I run mine in Drag mode. On the street, I use Sport mode, this seems to keep the RPMs up. I also run quality 93 octane, along with quality oil, and I change it often (every 2500 mile or every 6 months).

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I did 10k intervals for 10k with AMSOIL signature, no booms. I was ford perf tuned and used 93 octane. I used costco and sams club 93 though. my little data device showed -1.00 for the cheap sams club fuel, so it was quality.

sold car with 32k and it ran like a champ, absolute joy. if I did get an EcoBoost again, all id do is ford tune + stock location intercooler thats it. perfect as is.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Would you do any suspension upgrades?

I did it all. and looking back, - I COULD OF MADE SO MUCH MONEY LEAVING IT STOCK AND SELLING MORE HTAN I PAID FOR IT YEARS LATER.

that said- I loved the handling of the suspension (Steeda suspension) the pro non adjustable suspension was excellent. I think I spent like 1500 for everything. its been awhile but the suspension made it feel like a go cart, and look tits up. but., I now had to care about pot holes etc.....

that said, I think honestly the main thing id do for sure is a barton hybrid short throw shifter, body mounted for my EcoBoost again, ford tune, intercooler. (intercooler is worth it imo) thats pretty much it.

this was my build. had a good time, learned a lot, and I wont do it again. lol
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-grabber-blue-ecoboost-premium-build.117171/

oh and definitely disable the factory noise cancelation EQ setting, you get way better music.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
that all said, I had a great time owning/modding/enjoying myself. it kept me busy and killed a lot of time. but now that I did it all, I realize next time I wouldnt do it again. id stick pretty bare basic, less things to break. less stress

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My sense is it's hard to improve on an OEM car that usually costs $1B+ to develop.

Sure there are personalizations and tweaks then full out monster builds but the base platform is 95%
Mustangs have always been a 75% car. The first 75% of it comes from Ford. The last 25% is up to you. If you like it stock, leave it, but there's a reason why the Mustang aftermarket is so large. People build the car they want. The car I want is likely different from what the original design was meant to produce. In that case, it's very easy to improve on a $1B design.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
tell you what, mustang parts are cheap compared to my friends cars, like intercoolers etc, are like half the prices of my friends cars parts. its crazy comparing apples for apples for same parts on my friends cars and mine. some of the parts are even triple the parts of the mustang equivalents.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
tell you what, mustang parts are cheap compared to my friends cars, like intercoolers etc, are like half the prices of my friends cars parts. its crazy comparing apples for apples for same parts on my friends cars and mine. some of the parts are even triple the parts of the mustang equivalents.
unless it’s a catback for a GT. $2k lol.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
unless it’s a catback for a GT. $2k lol.
depends on the economy too. before covid, that stuff was much cheaper I am pretty sure. now all prices and sales seem to cease to exist.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
What brands of vehicles do they drive?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
chevrolet, Subaru/wrx
a lot of them have Subaru wrx's, some cobalts Chevrolets, surprising a lot of Mitsubishi owners in my area. the vet guys paying THOUSANDS for axle back exhaust blows my mind. we get entire systems for 1k they get just an axle back for 2-3k

idk. just feel like mustang is pretty cheap car to build up compared to many others. I dont know about Camaros if they are equal to build up in specs/aftermarket.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
2018 10r80 ecoboost here.. bought the car used at 27k miles put roughly 1000 miles on it since buying, only thing have done was mobile 1 oil change done by me (ASE tech), stock air filter, stock tune, as far as I know car had never been touched. ( bought from a woman who bought it new). Driving down the road going 45mph Under 2k rpm’s and boom cyl 3 decided to exit the block. Thank god still under 60k power train, ford is putting a factory long lock and turbo on. Figured I would put it in here for others to see a stock 18 with ecoboom….
We're you using Top Tier gas?
Sponsored