Sponsored

Hill Start Assist question

ctang101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I have a question on Hill Start Assist. Say I stop the car on a slope, take my foot off the brake pedal, and after a second or so the car starts to roll down very very slowly. Is it normal? Shouldn't Hill Start Assist apply the brake 100% so that the car would not roll at all? My car is automatic if that matters. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think it only holds for a few seconds and then releases. At least that’s how it works on my Bullitt (manual tranny).

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The hill assist seems to hold the car for a 5 count before it rolls backward. Mt A10 does this each time.

Reactions: Ebm

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Isn't Hill Assist meant for manual cars? I don't see how starting on a hill in an automatic is even a concern.
I agree. In an automatic, there’s really no need to take your foot off the brake until you’re ready to hit the accelerator for takeoff.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I agree. In an automatic, there’s really no need to take your foot off the brake until you’re ready to hit the accelerator for takeoff.
Really? Come to Seattle or San Francisco and get back to me. Florida is pancake flat in comparison.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Really? Come to Seattle or San Francisco and get back to me. Florida is pancake flat in comparison.
You have a left foot with no clutch pedal to worry about. Problem solved

Sorry, couldn't help myself 🤣

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I vacationed in San Francisco 10 years ago and we rented a Nissan with an automatic tranny. I didn’t have any issues on hills, but I can see what you’re saying here. Maybe consider raising the idle in your tune in 100 rpm increments until the engine is able to hold the car steady on a hill and that might do it.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
My 2018 Gt A10 has the hill assist feature. It also has factory line lock which works in the same way if used.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctang101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am just worried that my brake could be having issues if Hill Start Assist is supposed to stop the car completely.

OP
OP

ctang101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the manuals it only holds the car for a few seconds.
I think Hill Start is still engaged, but the car would roll downhill very very slowly, instead of completely standing still. Just not sure of that's how it's supposed to work, or there is some issue with my brake.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I think Hill Start is still engaged, but the car would roll downhill very very slowly, instead of completely standing still. Just not sure of that's how it's supposed to work, or there is some issue with my brake.
I'm not entirely sure how Hill Assist works as I never use it but I assume it applies moderate brake pressure to help keep you from rolling back. On a steep hill, the car will still roll some.
I'm sure your brakes are fine

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
You have a left foot with no clutch pedal to worry about. Problem solved

Sorry, couldn't help myself 🤣
Try that for an hour and a half on a 12% grade stuck in Friday night traffic and there is a Comicon in town.
Sponsored