Sponsored

Hill Assist

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
As soon as I start to let off clutch and give it a bit of gas, the hill assist lets go. It's never the full 2 seconds (though if I hold the clutch in, and just release the brakes, it will hold it for 2 seconds then release the break regardless of what I'm doing with the clutch). It only comes on about once a week if I'm first at a stop light near my job, but I've tested it in my driveway when I was getting used to driving manual.
This^. It doesn't prevent you from going when you want to go
Sponsored

JRivera

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, PP
I don't mind it, used to have it on my '13 also. I think the trick is to not treat the hill like a hill, if that makes sense, just take off as you would on flat ground.

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
I turned it off, it will never see the light of day again!!! Think about it what if you drive another manual car that does not have this option, how effective will you be on hills. Trust me do it the old school way. This car has a great clutch compared to the Camaro trust me I know.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
I was in the mountains recently and the driveway where we were staying was at least a good 30 degree angle. I actually found that hill assist worked quite well. I did it by accident the first time and realized it was holding for longer than normal so I tested it again and sat there for almost a minute and it held. Seemed that it would hold indefinitely as long as I didn't mess with the clutch or gas.

Perhaps the incline made the difference?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't mind it, used to have it on my '13 also. I think the trick is to not treat the hill like a hill, if that makes sense, just take off as you would on flat ground.
It may depend on just how you take off on level ground. If you're in the habit of using a bare minimum of throttle necessary as the clutch grabs, that will be when if the hill assist is engaged you'll stall. Basically, you may have to drive a little harder than you otherwise might . . . IOW, driving more like the way a newbie to driving stick drives and who HSA is intended to help the most.

Norm

Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Love it, big hill getting out to a main street in my hood. This was the first clutch I owned in about 7 years so it was actually really helpful for the first week on hills while I got used to driving the clutch again. Never turned it off after that.

bigb996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 89 wrangler Sahara
been driving a manual transmission long enough i dont need it. If i lived in San Fran or something i would see it being useful. I found it to be more obnoxious than helpful.
Sponsored