Sponsored

Hill start assist

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Still not used to it. But I am leaving it on for the time being.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I was unaware hill assist was a feature on any car until a few days ago. When it activated I thought something was wrong because there was no roll back. :lol:

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
When I first had my car I still lived in Gainesville which is relatively hilly for Florida, i.e. basically flat compared to where I grew up outside Pittsburgh but still there were times where I would have to do a hill start.

It absolutely caught me off guard the first several times. I would anticipate the roll-back only to end up juttering into gear like a moron because I was sitting still. I contemplated turning it off but I decided to give it a chance because I realized it could be a great safety/convenience feature if I just got used to it. Also, like I said I rarely had to deal with hill starts anyway.

I got used to it quick enough and eventually moved over here to Jax which is flat as a pancake so hill starts are non-existent. If I ever moved to an actual hilly area, I would probably turn it off because I like that little bit of roll-back when starting on a steeper incline.
Hill assist on Mt Washington might come in handy.:cheers:

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I live in the mtns and think it is great.Especially on a STEEP hill with some jerk 2" from your bumper. It will add some life to your clutch too. What's not to like? Will it make your dick shorter if you dont turn it off? I know some people here think that about the faster,tougher,modern autos. Oh well.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
You can just use the e brake, but I've had this feature on all of my manual transmission cars for a decade now and it's great.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Honestly I turned it back off already. Only because I'm not used to it and at this point I don't need to spend time getting used to it. I never really have to worry about hills and the few times I have I used to e brake. yea I roll down my driveway before climbing it in reverse but it's not a big deal like I said I'm used to it. I think it is a cool feature though and if it worked when I purchased the car and learned how to drive manual for the first time "that was fun" I probably would have left it on.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make up your mind. Is it nice or sweet?

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I can understand how annoying it must be for all you guys to have a car that doesn't roll back on a hill. If you really want to be one with your ride you should of course disconnect the annoying power steering and brakes. To experience nirvana I am going to take off my starter and install a hand crank.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better yet get rid of the engine entirely and buy a horse. :)

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I can understand how annoying it must be for all you guys to have a car that doesn't roll back on a hill. If you really want to be one with your ride you should of course disconnect the annoying power steering and brakes. To experience nirvana I am going to take off my starter and install a hand crank.
haha, I don't understand it either. All it does is keep the car from rolling backwards. It won't make you stall out, it won't keep you from going forward, it doesn't hurt anything and using it saves wear and tear on your clutch. It's a nice little feature.

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
Meh.. I leave it on, even though I don't need it. Previous cars I've had with that feature held the brake too long, really making it suck. But Ford actually got it right.
This is why I turned it off on my Mustang. After the 3rd or 4th time I tried to get going on a hill and the brakes were still on it freaked me out. I thought I was going to stall the car. Turned it off and haven't used it since.

It didn't do that all the time. Usually it was a smooth transition. But every once in awhile it felt like I was running into a curb.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I use it. It's saves on some annoyance and irritation when stuck on an incline. No rocking the clutch, ebrake, or sweating because some dumbsh*t in the c*ntwagon behind you pulled right up to your bumper on a heavy incline. Handy little feature.

Only time it's weird is the rare occasion it activates in a situation where the incline isn't that steep. But even then it's just a little hint of delay before you move forward. Odd, but you quickly get used to it.

oldgeezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT base, Ingot Silver, 6MT, 3.55
Don't really need it, but I do use it. Lotsa hills here in NoCal, and lotsa newby drivers that have never driven a manual tranny and don't realize that they will roll back a bit on a hill . . .

It's kinda like electric garage door openers to me. Saw no use for one until I had one, and found it soooo convenient I can't imagine doing without one now!

Jonrezz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2016 GT ordered 3/5
I had no clue the car came with this feature when I bought it but what a wonderful surprise!!! It removes one of the most annoying parts of driving a manual, you are on a hill and some asshole pulls right up inches behind you. no more lifting the clutch until the rpms dip before taking off to avoid rolling, its cake now! leaving it on thanks ford!
Sponsored