Sponsored

Hill start assist

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
the useless feature are the blinkers in the vents
It's about heritage. Some 1967 and 1968 Mustangs with the deluxe hood had the blinkers in the hood.

I personally love the hood blinkers....strictly for the nod to the '67-68 Mustang heritage.
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I appreciate the hill start assist. Usually don't need it. But it's a nice feature to have as a back up....especially on those steep inclines.

bumada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
It's nice to have while parallel parking.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Neat feature that actually works but it's not for me. Never in 25 years have I had or needed a hill assist!

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
It is on but never really notice it except on one goofy stop sign that is on a mini hill but steep and it kicks in.

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
When I first had my car I still lived in Gainesville which is relatively hilly for Florida, i.e. basically flat compared to where I grew up outside Pittsburgh but still there were times where I would have to do a hill start.

It absolutely caught me off guard the first several times. I would anticipate the roll-back only to end up juttering into gear like a moron because I was sitting still. I contemplated turning it off but I decided to give it a chance because I realized it could be a great safety/convenience feature if I just got used to it. Also, like I said I rarely had to deal with hill starts anyway.

I got used to it quick enough and eventually moved over here to Jax which is flat as a pancake so hill starts are non-existent. If I ever moved to an actual hilly area, I would probably turn it off because I like that little bit of roll-back when starting on a steeper incline.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
It's about heritage. Some 1967 and 1968 Mustangs with the deluxe hood had the blinkers in the hood.

I personally love the hood blinkers....strictly for the nod to the '67-68 Mustang heritage.
same here, so cool, and so unique

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Neat feature that actually works but it's not for me. Never in 25 years have I had or needed a hill assist!
I usually leave it on, but would not need it. I do not see any downside to having it on, other than bravado. Does it slow down the launch? Have not looked to see if the brakes are released immediately as the clutch engages, or if it holds the brakes regardless.

When it comes to the "I have not needed XXX" comments, there are many things in life, I would say almost everything that we have today, that are not actually needed. I assume that you do not still wash all of your dishes, clothes by hand. I assume that you do not forego electric appliances and cook by fire. I assume that you use some sort of can opening device newer than the old lever ones. Heck, cars alone were not needed just over a hundred years ago. The "old ways" worked for our grandparents (well some of our great grandparents), but that does not mean that the new ways should be left behind despite being readily available.

This is not just directed at you personally. You do what makes you happy, and quite frankly that is none of my business. But there are many people here and on other similar websites, that make these statements and yours happens to be the one that I replied to... :cheers:

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
What I found that helps activate it is when you are on an incline, push the brake pedal a little bit harder than normal (while stopped).

Side note: Ever since I removed the clutch assist spring, I just don't use the feature anymore.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Being my first manual car, I love the feature. There's no shame in my game.

Sponsored
OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
I'm thinking it might be easier on the cltch bc you don't have to slip the clutch while rolling backwards. I'll try it for a few days and see if it grows on me. One more question which I will probably answer myself in a few hours but if you are facing down hill and reversing will it hold? Or only for moving forward uphill? I park at the top of my driveway facing downhill and usually roll down it in neutral before I even start the car and then climb it in reverse to avoid slipping the clutch as much.

OP
OP

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Fwiw it has to be a certain grade hill for it to activate. Some small inclines the car will roll, but hill assist doesn't activate until steeper.
The first time mine kicked in I was basically flat. Didn't know what was going on lol.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Yes it works in reverse too. And for those wondering it deactivates by one of the following circumstances. Times out after 3 seconds I believe, pcm senses additional engine torque applied, or speed sensors register movement.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I like hill assist. I only use it when pulling into my inclined driveway and have to stop to wait on the garage door opener to get the door up. After that, I can leisurely engage the clutch and ease in to the garage. I don't need it, but it's nice to have.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
When I have been on a very slight incline or decline, the rollback does not kick on. The car will still roll ever so slowly.

I’m on the camp of…why not use it. It doesn’t require you to do anything, and likely buys a little extra life on your clutch from avoid excess slippage. In my area, I deal with extreme incline/declines on a regular basis. I don’t "need" traction control either, but I keep it on for daily driving.

To each their own though.
Sponsored