Handling Upgrade

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I'm looking to do a handling upgrade on my 16 GT. It does not have the performance pack and is stock. I've owned it since new and I'd like to make it more aggressive and fun.

I'm planning to do all the mods in my garage with a buddy. I want something that can be installed relatively easily out of the box.

For wheels/tires I'm looking at 19x10 275/40R19 square. Lots of options in this tire size that are easy to come by, and additional sidewall will be great for street use.

This is a list of handling upgrades I've found from reading the forum. I'm leaning heavily towards the FP Track Handling Pack because many here have reported it's usable on a daily driver, and that the FP Street Pack is not a significant enough upgrade from the base suspension. I'm assuming the Track version is worth the $300 premium.

I found a lot of good info about the bracing in this thread.

M-FR3A-M8AFP Track Handling Pack
M-FR3-FASTENAFP Handling Pack Fastener
M-20201-MAFP Strut Tower Brace Kit
FR3Z-63016A52-AAdd Top Brace
W717964-S450BCowl Panel Bolt (3)
FR3Z-5025-ALower K brace
FR3Z-6P013-BPlastic Shield
W715060-S450BOil Panel Screw
W718025-S439K Brace Bolt (6)

I've read that the FP toe links are already on all GTs.

Is the FP Control Arm Kit M-3075-F worthwhile or no?

What about the IRS Knuckle and Hub Kit M-5970-M while I have it all apart?

Is there anything else I should be doing while I am doing these other mods?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
>> I've read that the FP toe links are already on all GTs.

Not true for the '16s (rear toe link). I swapped one in on my Premium PP1 2016 GT.

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
>> I've read that the FP toe links are already on all GTs.

Not true for the '16s (rear toe link). I swapped one in on my Premium PP1 2016 GT.
Is there an easy way for me to tell?

FP Track Handling Kit includes them anyway, maybe I was thinking of something else that was already on GTs. My bad.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Here is a chart explaining Ride Frequency and Spring Rates
FWIW, I completely disagree with using Flat-Ride criteria for spring selection. I completely understand its implications. It does what it's supposed to do, but it compromises handing in the process.

The Ford Performance package moves the rates _away_ from Flat-Ride and towards better handling.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, I completely disagree with using Flat-Ride criteria for spring selection. I completely understand its implications. It does what it's supposed to do, but it compromises handing in the process.

The Ford Performance package moves the rates _away_ from Flat-Ride and towards better handling.
Agreed with TeeLew - unless maybe if you're building a rally car, or HIGHLY prioritize bump handling over flat ground handling.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Is there an easy way for me to tell?

FP Track Handling Kit includes them anyway, maybe I was thinking of something else that was already on GTs. My bad.
Easy way? Snap a pic of the bushing on the end of that toe link and I can probably compare it to the upgraded one.. It still might be hard to visually tell, but we might be able to do it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Agreed with TeeLew - unless maybe if you're building a rally car, or HIGHLY prioritize bump handling over flat ground handling.
...Or a late 1950's Chevy sedan cruising on freshly laid interstate highways, which was the scenario where Maurice Olley developed the concept.

It was brilliant, and still used, but it's just not appropriate for our application.

Järn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, Ruby Red, A10, B&O, AE

The Ride Frequency chart I put together was not meant to promote the "flat ride" theory.
Its purpose is to educate people with a visual way to compare the spring rates from after-market vendors with the springs that Ford puts in the different models.

For myself, I wanted to know what springs should I choose to get my base car as close as possible to a GT350.
BmacIL, Norm, and many others here recommended the 200/800 rates as a good starting point for most people who wished to upgrade a base or even PP1.
It was a great recommendation, 200/800 is very close to the PP2 in rates. It fit me perfectly matched with the FP Track Dampers.
I love my suspension with a ride frequency of 1.52 (plus a dozen other parts from Steeda).

Tim, by the way, I do recognize that I know next to nothing about suspensions compared to people like you and Nightmare and some others on the forums. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge. I have learned a lot from both of you and I have a great handling sports car because of the help you two and others have shared on the forums.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
The 3 piece strut tower brace can be had for cheap off ebay from midway mustangs, etc. Save yourself some money. I would also recommend the steeda g-track brace up front and their rear chassis braces with the cradle bushings, etc. basically the stop the hop kit minus the vertical links. I was amazed how the chassis bracing alone really improved the handling and turn in on a base GT without any other mods, and it's pretty inexpensive to do.

Sponsored

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
M-FR3-FASTENA this now comes with the kit, you do not need to purchase seperately.

I did the FP control arms as well because of spherical bearings and air flow because I did upgrade the brakes to the PP brakes.

No idea if it was worth it for my application at the end of the day but seemed like a good idea when I did it.

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
M-FR3-FASTENA this now comes with the kit, you do not need to purchase seperately.

I did the FP control arms as well because of spherical bearings and air flow because I did upgrade the brakes to the PP brakes.

No idea if it was worth it for my application at the end of the day but seemed like a good idea when I did it.
I wonder if that's what the "A" revision added with the price increase. I emailed Ford Performance to double check. It would really suck to get the handling kit in and not have the fastener kit.

I'm currently planning to keep the stock brakes, although I've seen some decent deals on the red Bullitt brakes so I'll keep my eyes open.

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I wonder if that's what the "A" revision added with the price increase. I emailed Ford Performance to double check. It would really suck to get the handling kit in and not have the fastener kit.

I'm currently planning to keep the stock brakes, although I've seen some decent deals on the red Bullitt brakes so I'll keep my eyes open.
From time to time you can get PP1 front brakes take offs from shelby american via ebay for $500.

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

I think, but am too lazy to verify, that Ford did away with the inverted hat front rotors on the base GT in 2021, so that could be a reasonably priced middle ground upgrade.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The Ride Frequency chart I put together was not meant to promote the "flat ride" theory.
Its purpose is to educate people with a visual way to compare the spring rates from after-market vendors with the springs that Ford puts in the different models.

For myself, I wanted to know what springs should I choose to get my base car as close as possible to a GT350.
BmacIL, Norm, and many others here recommended the 200/800 rates as a good starting point for most people who wished to upgrade a base or even PP1.
It was a great recommendation, 200/800 is very close to the PP2 in rates. It fit me perfectly matched with the FP Track Dampers.
I love my suspension with a ride frequency of 1.52 (plus a dozen other parts from Steeda).
I love your chart very useful thanks for putting that together. 200/800 rates springs are the perfect combination for a daily car not to stiff and good handling. This is why so many people recommend it.
Sponsored