Sponsored

Mild suspension upgrades, is there such a thing?

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
I'm the second owner of a 2016 PP GT. It is more or less a week end car, with no plans at this time to track. I live in an area that is blessed with winding curvy roads. I have been debating on the FRPP track package, or adding the street springs, rear knuckle bearings, and the GT 350R sway bars. I plan on doing the work myself.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Track package would definitely be a nice improvement, but I'd suggest swapping in a different set of springs based on feedback from others I've read on here that have it. I think it comes with progressive springs, but I've found linear ones to ride comfortably enough and with predictable manners.

While you're working already, add in some IRS support braces and you'll be very happy with the changes.

The Steeda components I've installed on my car have made noticeable improvements in handling and overall enjoyment of the car. I've got their fixed Pro-Action shocks/struts, Sport Linear springs, subframe alignment kit, and adjustable front and rear sway bars. Their support is second to none as well.

Probably going to add in one of the G-trac braces in the next couple of months as well then be done (allegedly...).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would recommend the following:

Ford Performance Track dampers
Ford Performance Toe knuckle bearing
BMR SP083 handling springs
BMR CB005
Steeda front control arm lateral links
Steeda bumpsteer kit
GT350 or GT350R bars
Caster / camber plates (take your pick)

I would sub in Steeda sport linear springs if you prefer Steeda.

With this mods your car will handle on a different level and be very composed and planted.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend the following:

Ford Performance Track dampers
Ford Performance Toe knuckle bearing
BMR SP083 handling springs
BMR CB005
Steeda front control arm lateral links
Steeda bumpsteer kit
GT350 or GT350R bars
Caster / camber plates (take your pick)

I would sub in Steeda sport linear springs if you prefer Steeda.

With this mods your car will handle on a different level and be very composed and planted.
Yeah, this.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Keeping it mild just stick with dampers, springs, IRS braces, and a two-point k-member brace. Leave the noise-inducing bearings and bushings alone.

I run a setup like this and drive LONG distances all the time; my Steeda setup is refined and adds absolutely zero NVH. I tear-up a few curvy mountain roads as well...this setup DIGS turns.

Steeda Parts:

Ultralite Springs (go sport for a bit more tame)
ProAction Dampers
IRS Braces
2-Point K-Member brace
Add sway bars if you like

Sponsored

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I did a mild setup on my daily driven '18 as well. FPR street pack, steeda IRS braces, Strut tower and K-brace, front subframe brace. Sticks to the road glorously with predictability and comfort. Hell, it's so comfortable I wonder if I should have just went ahead and went full track setup lol.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Keeping it mild just stick with dampers, springs, IRS braces, and a two-point k-member brace. Leave the noise-inducing bearings and bushings alone.

I run a setup like this and drive LONG distances all the time; my Steeda setup is refined and adds absolutely zero NVH. I tear-up a few curvy mountain roads as well...this setup DIGS turns.

Steeda Parts:

Ultralite Springs (go sport for a bit more tame)
ProAction Dampers
IRS Braces
2-Point K-Member brace
Add sway bars if you like
I agree with this to a point as bearings can add noise and NVH, however, the FP Toe-Knuckle Bearing doesn't add any NVH and it is a significant upgrade if you like to carve up corners. I think there is a reason why Ford chose to include this small (but meaningful) upgrade to their Track package.

Stuff like the rear lower control arm bearing, I'm with you. It is a performance part and adds significant NVH. Not for the faint of heart.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I did a mild setup on my daily driven '18 as well. FPR street pack, steeda IRS braces, Strut tower and K-brace, front subframe brace. Sticks to the road glorously with predictability and comfort. Hell, it's so comfortable I wonder if I should have just went ahead and went full track setup lol.
Street one is regular Performance Pack setup with lowering springs, track is the big improvement.

@Bluemustang I feel like I've seen you post about the install of the toe-knuckle bearing somewhere before, but don't want to dig atm. How much do you think that would run at a dealership/shop? I'm not interested in dealing with a press myself...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Street one is regular Performance Pack setup with lowering springs, track is the big improvement.

@Bluemustang I feel like I've seen you post about the install of the toe-knuckle bearing somewhere before, but don't want to dig atm. How much do you think that would run at a dealership/shop? I'm not interested in dealing with a press myself...
Not sure. I don't have my invoice lying around from when I did it. Should be fairly quick for them to press out the bearing and press the new one in, assuming they have a strong enough press which I'd assume any reputable shop would.

It's well worth the price of admission. It adds to the cornering stability and on rails feeling. And I always go back to, why did Ford put THIS on their track kit? They could have done a lot of other things (that would probably increase NVH) and they chose this. Something to think about.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@Bluemustang Good intel on the toe knuckle bearing, thanks. I haven’t looked into this or heard much about it at all.
Thanks man! Hope the car is doing good!

Next mod for me is the Steeda lateral link control arms and tension link spherical bearings. :beer:

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I run GT350R springs, GT350R sway bars, GT350R strut tower brace, Koni shocks set halfway, and a BMR CB005 on my daily driven 2016. It handles amazing and works great as a daily, especially since the GT350R springs are minimal drop.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I run GT350R springs, GT350R sway bars, GT350R strut tower brace, Koni shocks set halfway, and a BMR CB005 on my daily driven 2016. It handles amazing and works great as a daily, especially since the GT350R springs are minimal drop.
I would bet that is a great setup, for sure. My spring rates are a little bit higher but still works great. I miss the adjustability of the KONI sports but the Ford Performance Track dampers are really good monotube units. When they wear out, I plan on putting the KONI sports back on. The KONIs are a little more crashy, but sharper handling wise IMO.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I would bet that is a great setup, for sure. My spring rates are a little bit higher but still works great. I miss the adjustability of the KONI sports but the Ford Performance Track dampers are really good monotube units. When they wear out, I plan on putting the KONI sports back on. The KONIs are a little more crashy, but sharper handling wise IMO.
I bought the adjustable shocks planning on adjusting them more, but so far they've been set at 50% since I installed them. I plan to try some autocross events so it will probably come in handy at that point. I'm really happy with the GT350R parts, both price wise and performance wise. I think I bought both sway bars new for like $120 and the Springs were cheap too. I think the Track springs like you have are supposed to be really similar to the non-Magneride GT350 shocks, so I'm sure they pair really well with the GT350 springs or comparable aftermarket springs.
Sponsored