Sponsored

Handling package - Adjustable strut top mounts?

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
It would be very unusual for the plates to be installed at the factory. They are shipped to the dealers parts department and installed at the dealership at no cost to the buyer as it is part of the handling package.
Thanks for correcting me. I re-read the emails from the dealer when the vehicle arrived. After I did the paperwork, they had the car for 2 days to do prep work and inspections. Once of the items they listed was 'Install Optional Handling Package & Alignment'. I had been focused that they not install the Gurney flap and it was in the trunk with the car cover. Somehow it was in my head that the plates were factory installed and the dealer installed the Gurney flap.
Sponsored

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
Well, my dealer ended up sending me two passenger side plates.

Gotta send one back and wait for the other.
20190715_202632.jpg

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Well, my dealer ended up sending me two passenger side plates.

Gotta send one back and wait for the other.
20190715_202632.jpg
Reminds me of those socializing games in kindergarten where you have to find and talk to someone with two drivers side plates so that you both get what you need and make a new friend along with the way.

Vectors2Final

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 BL Navi L/19 GT350 Ruby
Thankfully they have been super helpful, and this was one of the better buying experiences I’ve ever had.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Can one of you experts please advise if my plates are installed on my new 2019 I picked up this weekend? Thank you!
45226040-054D-4045-8FC9-A7FB154F97FA.jpeg

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
nope. those are normal ones, not adjustables
Damn, well dealer is getting a call in the morning. Question. If this car was received in a trade between dealers, should I call the dealer I bought it from, of the dealer they got it from?

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
i'd call who i paid, let them sort it out. they should install them for free, so if you want that done, you should give thought to alignment specs you'd want so they can set it all up at the same time.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
i'd call who i paid, let them sort it out. they should install them for free, so if you want that done, you should give thought to alignment specs you'd want so they can set it all up at the same time.
Thank you sir. Left a message with my sales guy.

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 1966 Mustang Coupe
I just got mine installed this week. Stupid question incoming.. do you just jack the car up loosen the top 3 nuts, slide it over, and then slide it back at end? Any idea on the torque?

I've yet to see clear instructions on how to adjust them!

Also, will they (should they) already be at full street side, or do they use this adjustment as part of the aligning process so it may be somewhere in the middle already?

Thanks! Lot of questions.. but I'm at the track this weekend now is the time to know :) !

20191123_065540.jpg

Sponsored

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
No you do not just loosen the top and slide the plates in. You have to pull out the struts and install the plates from the bottom. Adjusting the plates is part of the alignment process. They are adjusted for more negative camber for track use and less negative camber for street use and must be adjusted on an alignment machine.

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No you do not just loosen the top and slide the plates in. You have to pull out the struts and install the plates from the bottom. Adjusting the plates is part of the alignment process. They are adjusted for more negative camber for track use and less negative camber for street use and must be adjusted on an alignment machine.
The plates are already installed I just mean for track day adjustments.

I'm assuming since they can align cars without adjustable plates, that the adjustment on top is not part of the process. The instructions indicate that they are installed (and then aligned) while in the "street" position, which then would allow you to slide to max camber temporarily.

But, that's just an assumption :) trying to verify.

Last edited:

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
The plates are already installed I just mean for track day adjustments.

I'm assuming since they can align cars without adjustable plates, that the adjustment on top is not part of the process. The instructions indicate that they are installed (and then aligned) while in the "street" position, which then would allow you to slide to max camber temporarily.

But, that's just an assumption :) trying to verify.

You will need to jack up the car so that BOTH front wheels are off the ground before you can loosen the three top nuts and slide the strut tops in or out. I tried jacking up just the side I was working on the first time I wanted to adjust the camber on my car, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the strut top wasn't moving... :facepalm: Torque value for the nuts is ~30 ft.-lbs., I believe.

You WILL need an alignment after you adjust the camber, as your toe-in will change (possibly dramatically) when you increase the negative camber from stock (I had significant toe-out after going to roughly -2.2 degrees camber in front).

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will need to jack up the car so that BOTH front wheels are off the ground before you can loosen the three top nuts and slide the strut tops in or out. I tried jacking up just the side I was working on the first time I wanted to adjust the camber on my car, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the strut top wasn't moving... :facepalm:

You WILL need an alignment after you adjust the camber, as your toe-in will change (possibly dramatically) when you increase the camber from the stock (I had significant toe-out after going to roughly -2.2 degrees camber in front).
Haha ok great thanks, I definitely would've tried only one side. I was planning to go max camber just for 2 days then back to street. I realize that the toe will be affected, but I'm going to try it. Afterwards, I'll put it back to the street side. Would I still need to realign? It should be back to the same, but I imagine it could change enough to warrant a realign.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Proper toe will affect your steering feel quite a bit. Honestly, I wouldn't want to drive on track with a lot of toe-out... Even just driving on the street, the steering felt really loose until I got the toe set back to near-zero. The good news is that it's relatively easy to get the car back to near-zero toe with just a measuring tape and a couple wrenches on the tie rod end and nut.
Sponsored