hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I had a 19 gt before my mach. It also didn’t have a spare tire. The goo is pretty much useless if you get a flat call road side

6D300A3E-9533-4D8D-B24D-250D0E56F28D.jpeg
Even worse. Does the goo destroy an otherwise repairable tire?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Even worse. Does the goo destroy an otherwise repairable tire?
destroy, no but it makes a ROYAL mess and a bitch to clean. Most shops will just throw the tire back in your face "clean that sh*t your damn self".

That's why people, get the Stop-n-Go kit and it's mushroom plugs!

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
destroy, no but it makes a ROYAL mess and a bitch to clean. Most shops will just throw the tire back in your face "clean that sh*t your damn self".

That's why people, get the Stop-n-Go kit and it's mushroom plugs!
Assumes you can find and get to the leak though, no?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
There has been so many threads about spare tires in this forum, I'm surprised the topic still comes up.
Yes, Ford stopped making spare tires standard equipment years ago, and it's a sore spot for many of us who prefer the peace of mind of having one. I was fortunate to find a Mustang spare/jack kit 2nd hand for 1/2 the dealer cost, never been used, only collected dust sitting in the trunk. So deals are out there if you look.
The primary reason Ford doesn't offer the spare option on cars equipped with performance packs or upsized wheels is the disparity in tire diameter. The optional Mustang spare measures less than 25.5" in diameter on an 18" rim. This is just barely within operational tolerances on the same axle as the stock 27" tires, which is why they limit the use to 50 miles. The simplest solution for anyone with the standard wheel/tires is the factory optional spare kit. If you have the 20" wheel option, or staggered tire sizes, that same kit will still work for you IF you get the spare tire from an Explorer and mount it on the Mustang aluminum spare rim. The Explorer spare is actually 27" diameter and still fits in the Mustang spare tire well, so it makes no sense to me why Ford wouldn't just use the same tire for Mustang on the factory spare option.
If you have the upgraded brakes, all you need is a 1" bolt on spacer to mount that spare on the front. Unfortunately the Explorer spare rim does not clear the standard GT brakes, much less the brembos, so the Mustang spare rim is needed regardless, however, with the 27" Explorer tire it will still work in an emergency to get you home even if you have staggered tire sizes.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The primary reason Ford doesn't offer the spare option on cars equipped with performance packs or upsized wheels is the disparity in tire diameter.
Well that's not quite true. The main reason is the standard spare will not fit the Brembo's therefore cannot be offered with any car that has them. The small difference in diameter is no issue if the tire is used as it is supposed to be. Keep the distance low and speeds below 50 and you will be just fine. Now the Explorer tire certainly sounds interesting but if you still need a spacer best to go with one of the other options.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Slightly off topic, but I remember back in the 90s when Ford mounted only a wheel in the spare tire rack of their Super Duty trucks...you had to buy your own tire and get it mounted on the wheel they gave you.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Well that's not quite true. The main reason is the standard spare will not fit the Brembo's therefore cannot be offered with any car that has them. The small difference in diameter is no issue if the tire is used as it is supposed to be. Keep the distance low and speeds below 50 and you will be just fine. Now the Explorer tire certainly sounds interesting but if you still need a spacer best to go with one of the other options.
yes, it's true the spare wheel they offer does not clear the bigger brakes unless you use a spacer to move the wheel out as I mentioned above, however the spare option is also not available with the 20" wheels, and AFAIK there aren't factory 20" rims optioned with the Brembo's. I'm sure they would fit together but they are different option packages that Ford seemed to not offer together, so the only reason for not offering the spare with the 20" rims is the taller tire diameter that comes with those.

In any case, there's no reason Ford couldn't have used an 18" spare rim with 1" more offset to clear the big brakes (or at least packaged a spacer with the same rim), and mounted the same size tire as used on the Explorer spare to have a spare package that would fit every Mustang regardless of the rim/tire/brake setup on the car, well no reason other than the penny pinchers. Hell, I bet if they offered the same spare rim with a taller tire, a spacer and extra lugs with instructions to use it on the front only with the big brake package, and charge $20 more for the spare option, they would've sold just as many of them, if not more since there would've been a much larger number of cars they could've offered the option with.

Sponsored
OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
yes, it's true the spare wheel they offer does not clear the bigger brakes unless you use a spacer to move the wheel out as I mentioned above, however the spare option is also not available with the 20" wheels, and AFAIK there aren't factory 20" rims optioned with the Brembo's. I'm sure they would fit together but they are different option packages that Ford seemed to not offer together, so the only reason for not offering the spare with the 20" rims is the taller tire diameter that comes with those.

In any case, there's no reason Ford couldn't have used an 18" spare rim with 1" more offset to clear the big brakes (or at least packaged a spacer with the same rim), and mounted the same size tire as used on the Explorer spare to have a spare package that would fit every Mustang regardless of the rim/tire/brake setup on the car, well no reason other than the penny pinchers. Hell, I bet if they offered the same spare rim with a taller tire, a spacer and extra lugs with instructions to use it on the front only with the big brake package, and charge $20 more for the spare option, they would've sold just as many of them, if not more since there would've been a much larger number of cars they could've offered the option with.
So, based on your idea that they could charge more, I would "guess" that it's more that they didn't think of it than they are penny pinching, yes?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So, based on your idea that they could charge more, I would "guess" that it's more that they didn't think of it than they are penny pinching, yes?
Ford been using the current spare for years. They have zero interest in making anything else. If you want one, buy it as is or find an alternative. It will be goop and compressors so long as we have rubber tires.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The Ford spare doesn't clear PP/Bullitt/Mach1 Brembos.

This is what you're after:

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....-gt-with-brembo-brakes?variant=40194764243106

This is the mega-thread on it:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...compact-spare-for-brembo-equipped-cars.78332/

My initial thoughts here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...embo-equipped-cars.78332/page-13#post-2126959

Follow-up thoughts here (ignore the spacer, it's only needed for GT350 brakes. Mach 1 brakes are smaller, like the PP/Bullitt cars.)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...embo-equipped-cars.78332/page-16#post-2458754

Don't worry about the difference in tire size, according to the manufacturer of the differential (Torsen):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/torsen-differential-and-mini-spare-tire.40727/

Any questions not covered by the above, feel free to ask.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
In my opinion it is worth having a spare. I have a 2018 GT P.P. I went the Hyundai way. When I finished the modifications I tested it and had no vibrations at all. A couple of months later on my way to work I had a blow out. Made it to work with time to spare. It's already paid for itself in my eyes.
I've had 3 unrepairable flats (blowouts) in my life driving. One of those 3 I had to be towed, two tires at once. So, even if you have a spare, sh!t can still happen.
"Made it to work with time to spare." I'm getting real TIREd of your puns! :D

Currently the spare tires are on back order, but I'll be getting the Boss 302 kit from these guys:
https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....-2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt-with-brembo-brakes
Of course they were (at least full PP kit). EVERYTHING is now. Sigh. Stupid covid.
But they are back in stock now.

Redeemer

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Deep Impact Blue
Hello; I was told the same thing back in January by AAA. I do not know the policy now that I am vaccinated.
I have USAA Roadside Assist. Similar to AAA. Worthless when you are in the middle of the desert surrounded by mountain lions and the cartels. And it is ALWAYS my rear passenger tire that blows. Am on my 5th set of rears and only my 3rd set of fronts.

I was thinking of buying a 19 inch rim and slapping a tire on it, hoping to call it good as a spare. It beats a donut and it beats the slime pump in the trunk. Any thoughts?
Sponsored