wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Spare is not needed. Flats are ultra rare on a newer performance car. I had a nail in my 2016 and with TPMS, you will know when it is low enough to be concerned. Blowouts almost never happen today.

Unless you have a pickup or off road SUV, I believe they are unnecessary weight and space.
...have you even read the last two pages of examples?

1624639442823.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I bought the Automotive Authority spare years ago, shortly after I bought my 2017 GT. (Took it with me when I traded the 2017 in and now its in my 2020 GT.) Was driving to work one morning a couple of months after I bought the 2017. Saw a guy on the side of the road sitting on the concrete barrier rail next to his mustang that had a flat tire, he looked thrilled to be there. Nope, not going to happen to me, bought the AA spare that night when I got home.

So AAA membership may work fine for a tow when you are near home, but I still bet you are going to wait at least an hour for that tow. Been probably 20 years since I was a AAA member, but at that time, they would only tow a certain distance for free before they would charge you, maybe 15 or 20 miles? What if you are on a road trip and out in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles from the nearest town? Bet you will be there for hours. Then if you get towed to the closest town that is near, what are the chances they will have a tire that fits my car? Even if they did, what's that small town shop going to charge me for it?

$500 was a small price to pay to be in control of my own destiny. Would do it again in a heart beat, even though chances are it will sit in the spare tire well unused for its entire life. Besides, I spent over 50k on just the car, plus how many more thousands on mods, whats another $500? I want that piece of mind. I would probably pay even more than $500 if I had to....

Doug
What about a car jack for the trunk? I don't think the Mach1 includes that either.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I found a oem mustang jack ang lug wrench on eBay for $35 shipped.

Doug

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Spare is not needed. Flats are ultra rare on a newer performance car. I had a nail in my 2016 and with TPMS, you will know when it is low enough to be concerned. Blowouts almost never happen today.

Unless you have a pickup or off road SUV, I believe they are unnecessary weight and space.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but some of your conclusions are incorrect.

1. The age of car has nothing to do with your chance of getting a flat.
2. Although TPMS will give you an indication of a tire losing air It doesn't do anything to help you repair it. If you're around the corner from your house, that great. But if you are out in the middle of nowhere It doesn't really help.
3. Blowouts can and do happen all the time. Part of that is the ultra low profile tires we run. A spare tire is nothing more than insurance against the worst happening.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but some of your conclusions are in correct.

2. Although TPMS will give you an indication of a tire losing air It doesn't do anything to help you repair it. If you're around the corner from your house, that great. But if you are out in the middle of nowhere It doesn't really help.
3. Blowouts can and do happen all the time. Part of that is the ultra low profile tires we run. A spare tire is nothing more than insurance against the worst happening.
In 2006, I had a BMW M3 with run-flats (HATE THEM). The tire blew with no indication before it blew...NICE.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but some of your conclusions are incorrect.

Hello; I was coming home from Morristown TN last summer. Had to pass thru a road construction site. There was a big sign warning sign about a bump. It was where the construction crew had cut into the old road bed and left an edge. I slowed way down and the hit was mild.
On the side of the road was a newer Honda civic with the very low profile sidewall tires. Both front tires flat. My guess is the driver did not slow down and burst both front tires. Maybe damaged rims as well.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Can you give me part information for that?

Thanks,
Howard
I believe I just searched for "2015 mustang jack" and found it. It was used, but looked brand new. I think Ford wants almost $100 if you buy new. I know you can also get them from Automotive Authority when you buy the spare.

Doug

f2e524d1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
1969/2021 Mustang Mach 1
The Modern Spare kit includes a jack, and they also have a separate accessory kit (jack/tools). You'd have to get one of the spare kit options that includes the wheel spacer. I can't speak to the quality/etc of this vs the Automotive Authority since I don't have either (waiting on my Mach 1). Anyone bought the Modern Spare kit?

https://modernspare.com/product/2015-2021-ford-mustang-spare-tire-kit-options/

https://modernspare.com/product/2015-2021-ford-mustang-accessory-only-kit/

Edit: I see that the AA complete kit also includes "Spare Tire, Jack Assembly, & Lug Wrench".

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....ith-brembo-brakes?_pos=1&_sid=5330e8c3d&_ss=r

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Let's see I've driven over 2 million miles I'm 66 years of age I have driven in multiple third world countries and all over the United States I probably drive 40 to 50,000 miles a year and I have never had a blowout. I've had flats but you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Go get yourself a spare then in fact I got a better idea why don't you go put a bumper hitch on your mustang and what you can do is you can haul around like one of those electric mini golf cart things and then that way when you get your blowout all you got to do is hop in the golf cart.

Anything to complain about a car I get it. Also you're telling me you're buying a $55,000 car and you expect to get a blowout? The likelihood of it is so low you have a much greater likelihood of getting in a major car accident. That's statistics my friends

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Let's see I've driven over 2 million miles I'm 66 years of age I have driven in multiple third world countries and all over the United States I probably drive 40 to 50,000 miles a year and I have never had a blowout.
Congratulations, you are a very lucky man...........for now. :giggle:

Anything to complain about a car I get it. Also you're telling me you're buying a $55,000 car and you expect to get a blowout?
Who's complaining about our cars? It's not the car, it is the crap on today's roads that want to screwup (pun intended) our $200+ tires.

The likelihood of it is so low you have a much greater likelihood of getting in a major car accident. That's statistics my friends
OK, since you brought it up, just where are those statistics?

Sorry Bob, just bustin' ya! :cwl::crackup:

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Let's see I've driven over 2 million miles I'm 66 years of age I have driven in multiple third world countries and all over the United States I probably drive 40 to 50,000 miles a year and I have never had a blowout. I've had flats but you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Go get yourself a spare then in fact I got a better idea why don't you go put a bumper hitch on your mustang and what you can do is you can haul around like one of those electric mini golf cart things and then that way when you get your blowout all you got to do is hop in the golf cart.

Anything to complain about a car I get it. Also you're telling me you're buying a $55,000 car and you expect to get a blowout? The likelihood of it is so low you have a much greater likelihood of getting in a major car accident. That's statistics my friends
Obviously, in your 12 million miles a week you havenā€™t driven in Queens NY.

get over yourself bud.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray

lol, thatā€™s YOUR experience...Im about 15 years your junior with the exact opposite experience.

I have owned 41 vehicles, lived in a dozen states, gotten three drivers badges in the US military (T/W/and S) covered half a dozen third world countries and same amount of first world countries, but had an untold number of tire issues; bad bead seals, manufacturing defects, vandalism to the sidewall, potholes, concrete chunks falling off a junk truck which made me late to a wedding (because I changed 13 cars tires on the 635 in Dallas) blowouts, slow leaks and even a couple shot out in places that I didnā€™t belong in.

and yes, the last three sidewall blowouts (unfixable) were in the last ~5 years....one C6 corvette on run flats, one VR4 on Dunlopā€™s and the focus RS on Pilot Sports.

and no, itā€™s not about being prepared for ANY situation (like bumper hitches) but dam sure do what you can to limit your exposure...just donā€™t discount everyone else cause YOU had a good run :wink:

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
lol, thatā€™s YOUR experience...Im about 15 years your junior with the exact opposite experience.

I have owned 41 vehicles, lived in a dozen states, gotten three drivers badges in the US military (T/W/and S) covered half a dozen third world countries and same amount of first world countries, but had an untold number of tire issues; bad bead seals, manufacturing defects, vandalism to the sidewall, potholes, concrete chunks falling off a junk truck which made me late to a wedding (because I changed 13 cars tires on the 635 in Dallas) blowouts, slow leaks and even a couple shot out in places that I didnā€™t belong in.

and yes, the last three sidewall blowouts (unfixable) were in the last ~5 years....one C6 corvette on run flats, one VR4 on Dunlopā€™s and the focus RS on Pilot Sports.

and no, itā€™s not about being prepared for ANY situation (like bumper hitches) but dam sure do what you can to limit your exposure...just donā€™t discount everyone else cause YOU had a good run :wink:
Hell yes and Thank you for your service Sir!

12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M1454