Getrag MT82

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Had MT82 in my 2014. I think the MT82 is ok, shifts nice for daily driving. Just does not like being powershifted or slammed into gear. And many have proven to hold big HP numbers, I guess you just got to be a little gentle with it.

Tremec on the other hand is much more confidence inspiring , I feel comfortable shifting fast and it has a very tight shifter from factory. My MT82 felt like you shifting through marshmallows compared. A Good shifter and clutch is what the MT82 needs for major improvement in shift + high rpm lockout.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Had MT82 in my 2014. I think the MT82 is ok, shifts nice for daily driving. Just does not like being powershifted or slammed into gear. And many have proven to hold big HP numbers, I guess you just got to be a little gentle with it.

Tremec on the other hand is much more confidence inspiring , I feel comfortable shifting fast and it has a very tight shifter from factory. My MT82 felt like you shifting through marshmallows compared. A Good shifter and clutch is what the MT82 needs for major improvement in shift + high rpm lockout.
I agree the shifts were very soft with my factory shifter, just as you have mentioned. Thatā€˜s one of the reasons that I installed a race spec shifter in mine with stiff springs. Everything is nice and tight now, no more loosey goosey.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I agree the shifts were very soft with my factory shifter, just as you have mentioned. Thatā€˜s one of the reasons that I installed a race spec shifter in mine with stiff springs. Everything is nice and tight now, no more loosey goosey.
Yep I think the loose shifter from factory was causing me to miss third often and most likely caused premature wear on my synchro's. I had to have the 3rd gear syncro replaced under warranty. But after that was great up to 130K miles no issues.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have no issues with my 2020 Mustang GT banging gears with my MT82D4

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've read a lot of negative comments regarding the MT82 and was wondering was sort of issues people are running into with these, since I have a 2021 GT fitted with this transmission and I haven't found anything wrong with it. I've driven a lot of different cars, including Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs, all with manual transmissions and honestly I would rate my MT82 as being on par with some of these. I haven't driven the Tremec, so maybe it's way better. I don't know.
I know a few people who have absolutely no issues with the transmission. But if you do, then it sucks. I have issues from 2nd to 3rd and back. It is, for the lack aof a better term...crunchy. This is not the normal "notchy shifting, but actual gear mess issues. I have tried to minimize the issue. I replaced shifter. I have replaced the clutch spring to get a more positive feel where the clutch is engaging. but nothing seems to work. The dealer kept insisting that it is minor, and will eventually go away. It has not and has gotten more pronounced. They told me it is documented and will replace it when it when if it fails.

IMO...I feel that just random QA testing cannot detect when there is a lemon issue. That is the problem with the transmission.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If Clint Eastwood (the actor) owned a Mustang with an MT82-D5 or D4 variant, I can imagine him saying something like this:

ā€Being that the MT82-D5 or D4 is the most talked about transmission in the world, it might hold itself together or blow itself clean apart. Therefore, youā€™ve got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?ā€

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I've had no problems with mine, but occasional 2->3 lockouts that resolved with: MGW shifter, Motul DCTF, and McLeod RST Clutch. These upgrades really improve the driving experience.
I only have lockout at 7K+ fast shifts, not sure if it is the clutch or tail mounted shifter. Rarely do that and it is only slight, plus double clutching eliminates it. But let's be real, WHERE are you going to do a 2-3 shift at 7K? My car (2020 Bullitt) is geared so tall, I am looking at close to 80.... lol.

If I tracked or bracket raced the car, I'd start with the trans mount shifter kit, and when the clutch was cooked would upgrade the Clutch. I'm running the BG kit. Love it so far.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
What the hell is going on with these comments?

The MT-82 in the mustang is definitely better today than in 2012. But it isn't a "great" or even "good" transmission the last few years.

Ford cheaped out in this regard. The MT-82 is usable but that's about the best I can say about it. People that claim otherwise haven't really had much experience outside of the S550 is all I can say.

Have to add that the transmission isn't geared long either. It is a very short ratio trans. Yeah, it's longer in 18+ than prevous but it's still short. Lol.

Good grief. Where the heck do these people get their Info. Lol
I have NO other frame of reference on a Mustang, but the 2018 units aren't bad at all. You want to talk about bad.......... Try my 1976 Porsche 912 (911 with 4cyl)....... Terrible shifter, even with upgrades, but the car is just magical. For NORMAL to SPORTING driving and canyon carving it is about perfect for a street car. Great shifts, smooth but direct enough, and decent feedback.

As for tall gearing, it is the tallest of any I've owned, but love it for how I drive it. Crazy that 4th is 1:1 and 5th/6th are overdrives. 1st is excellent, 2nd and 3rd are long, with little difference between 3rd & 4th.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Hereā€™s a good test for everyone. Run the RPMs up to 7200+, shift quickly on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift and report back to let us know if you get locked out. Repeat at least 3 times to get a good baseline.​
I never really had any issues with the MT82-D4 in my 2019 Bullitt, but coming from a 2013 GT with an MT82, I never trusted it. Going into my Bullitt, I knew I would beat on it hard and now with a tune and increased rev limiter of 7900, I felt it would be best to rebuild it before something bad happened and decided to upgrade/strengthen as many internal parts as I could.​
Note: once I went inside of it (with about 5900 miles on the odometer), I did find evidence of a potential problem brewing with the input shaft bearing, as well as the coating wearing off of synchros. See my rebuild threads for more info. and pics.​
Having said all of that, I realize many MT82-D5 and/or MT82-D4 owners have no intentions of ripping through the gears in a highly spirited fashion and therefore, may not experience any issues with their transmission. Start pushing it hard though and your opinions may change. Lastly, check out what the guys on SVTPerformance and Trackmustangsonline have to say about it for even more insight.​
I shift fast enough to chirp the rear tires on the 1-2 shift. Haven't had a problem so far. Not so much 2-3. I'm going to try that and see if I run into the lockout issues. I wasn't even aware that was an issue with the transmission.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I shift fast enough to chirp the rear tires on the 1-2 shift. Haven't had a problem so far. Not so much 2-3. I'm going to try that and see if I run into the lockout issues. I wasn't even aware that was an issue with the transmission.
Spin the engine up to just shy of hitting the rev limiter and shift really quickly and see what you get. Imagine racing a Camaro and you have to win at all costs when performing the test.

Sponsored

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I have a 2020 with the MT82. Have had the car for just over 3 years now. Never had any of those "lock out" issues people always talked about. Although the "feel" of the shifts and transmission overall is kind of clunky in my experience with other cars. I think i have more complaints about the stock clutch rather than the transmission. Ive been boosted for about 3 months and drive lightly and is more of a weekend toy. Still not any issues. Like someone else said, if it breaks ill fix it but for now its solid. I am a big t56 fan so if this thing ever broke id probably go with one of those

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have a 2020 with the MT82. Have had the car for just over 3 years now. Never had any of those "lock out" issues people always talked about. Although the "feel" of the shifts and transmission overall is kind of clunky in my experience with other cars. I think i have more complaints about the stock clutch rather than the transmission. Ive been boosted for about 3 months and drive lightly and is more of a weekend toy. Still not any issues. Like someone else said, if it breaks ill fix it but for now its solid. I am a big t56 fan so if this thing ever broke id probably go with one of those
How much power are you making with boost? You might be on borrowed time depending on the power level and how often you beat on it. What complaints do you have with the clutch?

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
My friend's 13 Boss 302 goes to 7500 with no hang ups. Completely stock, 18000 miles. I've read that a lot of them do but his doesn't.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What the hell is going on with these comments?

The MT-82 in the mustang is definitely better today than in 2012. But it isn't a "great" or even "good" transmission the last few years.

Ford cheaped out in this regard. The MT-82 is usable but that's about the best I can say about it. People that claim otherwise haven't really had much experience outside of the S550 is all I can say.

Have to add that the transmission isn't geared long either. It is a very short ratio trans. Yeah, it's longer in 18+ than prevous but it's still short. Lol.

Good grief. Where the heck do these people get their Info. Lol
Lets see:
VW beetle
Old Ford pickups
couple hondas
Nissan
T5, 3550, TKO in Fox Mustangs
A few different Porsches.
BMW
Toybaru
C5 Z06 Corvette and a few C7s
2021 Camaro

I have some experience with a few manual transmissions. Yes, cars that cost double or more of what Mustangs do have good transmissions. I do think the shifter Ford puts in Mustangs isn't that great. IMO the 2015+ MT82 is about what I would expect for a vehicle in the Mustang's price range. It's not as good as a new or less than 10 year old Porsche which costs double or more. It's similar in feel to a BMW which will cost you more. It's better than a lot of manual transmissions I've used in the past.

Hereā€™s a good test for everyone. Run the RPMs up to 7200+, shift quickly on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift and report back to let us know if you get locked out. Repeat at least 3 times to get a good baseline.​
I never really had any issues with the MT82-D4 in my 2019 Bullitt, but coming from a 2013 GT with an MT82, I never trusted it. Going into my Bullitt, I knew I would beat on it hard and now with a tune and increased rev limiter of 7900, I felt it would be best to rebuild it before something bad happened and decided to upgrade/strengthen as many internal parts as I could.​
Note: once I went inside of it (with about 5900 miles on the odometer), I did find evidence of a potential problem brewing with the input shaft bearing, as well as the coating wearing off of synchros. See my rebuild threads for more info. and pics.​
Having said all of that, I realize many MT82-D5 and/or MT82-D4 owners have no intentions of ripping through the gears in a highly spirited fashion and therefore, may not experience any issues with their transmission. Start pushing it hard though and your opinions may change. Lastly, check out what the guys on SVTPerformance and Trackmustangsonline have to say about it for even more insight.​
I never had lock outs until I increased the rev limiter with the FP power pack 3. I think those are more clutch related than the transmission though. I assumed that's why the GT350 and newer Mustangs have the twin disc clutch upgrade over the 2015-2017. I was planning to upgrade the clutch at some point in the future. It isn't a priority for me right now, though. I just pause a beat in high RPM shifts. Possibly after I get to the road course it will change my mind.

I am interested in your rebuild information. I've rebuilt a few transmissions in the past, so I have the tools. It would be fun to upgrade if there are measurable gains to be had.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Lets see:
VW beetle
Old Ford pickups
couple hondas
Nissan
T5, 3550, TKO in Fox Mustangs
A few different Porsches.
BMW
Toybaru
C5 Z06 Corvette and a few C7s
2021 Camaro

I have some experience with a few manual transmissions. Yes, cars that cost double or more of what Mustangs do have good transmissions. I do think the shifter Ford puts in Mustangs isn't that great. IMO the 2015+ MT82 is about what I would expect for a vehicle in the Mustang's price range. It's not as good as a new or less than 10 year old Porsche which costs double or more. It's similar in feel to a BMW which will cost you more. It's better than a lot of manual transmissions I've used in the past.

I never had lock outs until I increased the rev limiter with the FP power pack 3. I think those are more clutch related than the transmission though. I assumed that's why the GT350 and newer Mustangs have the twin disc clutch upgrade over the 2015-2017. I was planning to upgrade the clutch at some point in the future. It isn't a priority for me right now, though. I just pause a beat in high RPM shifts. Possibly after I get to the road course it will change my mind.

I am interested in your rebuild information. I've rebuilt a few transmissions in the past, so I have the tools. It would be fun to upgrade if there are measurable gains to be had.
Iā€™m about 2K miles post rebuild (about 30+ passes down the drag strip) and mine is performing great so far. I pray that Iā€™ll continue to get lots of life and fun times out of it.
Sponsored