Ford Recommends 5w50 Now?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This turned into what oil and weight is the best thread lol.

I'll bite. I use 0W-30 in mine. The 0 weight oils are fairly new "tech" and I consider them higher "quality."
Sponsored

Mojak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT FastBack 300a
Sure it’s in the owner’s manual, but it’s not listed as being the oil to use for DAILY use. Whether there’s any detrimental effects from running that viscosity daily, I have no clue. So I’d say use it at your own discretion and don’t take YT vids as gospel....
Cobra Jet, I think those are the specs for the Ecoboost. Scroll down a few pages for the GT caps and specs. My manual is showing Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend for daily use in the GT and Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend for track use.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
If you are changing your own, I would go with AMSoil. I own a F350 SRW diesel and most people over on thedieselstop seem to be pretty happy with that. That said, I use the Motorcraft full synthetic as my extended warranty is through Ford and I don't want them to try and claim that any engine issues were caused by an inferior oil.

For any car I own that is out of warranty, it gets AMSoil. For my vehicles, I only run synthetics, and change over as soon as it's allowed (I let the engine run on the original oil until the recommended first oil change)

I've never had an oil issue using AMS. Even when my tbird lost all it's oil when the oil change place "forgot" to put the gasket on the oil filter. The oil light came on, I pulled over. I had a friend run down a new batch of oil and a new filter. Filled it up and it ran fine. Continued to run fine for another 20k miles when a box truck ended it's life by plowing into the back of my car at a red stoplight.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Cobra Jet, I think those are the specs for the Ecoboost. Scroll down a few pages for the GT caps and specs. My manual is showing Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend for daily use in the GT and Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend for track use.

Agreed. I just looked.

2019 gt oil specs
Screenshot_20190228-114131_Chrome.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Agreed. I just looked.

2019 gt oil specs
Screenshot_20190228-114131_Chrome.jpg
I stand corrected fellas - you are 100% correct! I had the online pdf opened and was scrolling back and forth when I captured the initial image... and didn’t even realize I went up a few pages too many.

So to clarify:
The 2019 Owners Manual for the 5.0 does NOT list 5w50 for any type of use.

Sorry for any confusion.

Still not sure where the “Ford says” is coming from though...........

Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I stand corrected fellas - you are 100% correct! I had the online pdf opened and was scrolling back and forth when I captured the initial image... and didn’t even realize I went up a few pages too many.

So to clarify:
The 2019 Owners Manual for the 5.0 does NOT list 5w50 for any type of use.

Sorry for any confusion.

Apparently from the YouTube portion of the disinformation cowpath!

chohan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT, 301a, 10r80
Exactly. If that had been my car, no way I would've left the dealership without seeing documentation or something on the computer confirming their claim.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Only for the winter here. Fresh Redline 5W30 will go in around April/May.
Have you had any analysis done on the redline? I've been thinking of switching since I read somewhere the 5w20 viscosity is almost as high as other full synthetic 5w30's.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had any analysis done on the redline? I've been thinking of switching since I read somewhere the 5w20 viscosity is almost as high as other full synthetic 5w30's.
I have not. I am planning on the 5W30 as I will be doing many autocrosses and a couple track days on it.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
When i ordered my mustang with the supercharge pack they mentioned oil goes to 5w50.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
When i ordered my mustang with the supercharge pack they mentioned oil goes to 5w50.
Yep ... and if it can be ran all the time in a supercharged Coyote (and warrantied by Roush, etc), it can be ran all the time in a regular Coyote.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Which leads me to ask, if it's perfectly fine to run 5w50 with a supercharger all the time, then why would it not be beneficial to run 5w50 with a stock engine all the time to get maximum protection?

95jd970

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I also just checked the online 2019 Ford Mustang Owners Manual. There are (2) pages of oil viscosities listed. As can be seen by the snipped image below from page 299, 5w50 IS an oil listed, but is noted for “Track Use”.

See image and where I highlighted.

So is this just another “click bait You Tube make-some-money” vid that was posted to get everyone thinking there is some directive from Ford????

Sure it’s in the owner’s manual, but it’s not listed as being the oil to use for DAILY use. Whether there’s any detrimental effects from running that viscosity daily, I have no clue. So I’d say use it at your own discretion and don’t take YT vids as gospel....

Unless an official doc comes directly from Ford....
4D099B64-0FE9-4AFB-AB7A-2CB9D9200529.jpeg
if i am correct that is the CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 2.3L ECOBOOST the next section shows the 5.0 it says 5/20 or 5/30 for track use

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
> So, the Motorcraft Syn 5W50 is known to shear down quite significantly and quickly

With all the oil threads I'm surprised I haven't seen it (or I missed it?) but the way they get such a huge spread in temperature-dependent viscosity is because as the temps go up the previously coiled up elastomers uncoil. And the longer the resulting coil the easier it can get chopped up by gears and such which will over time steadily reduce the high temp viscosity number. I much prefer to use oils that are a lot closer - 10w30 and 10w40. Running 5w anything in most modern engines is nuts IMO unless you really do live where it's colder than frack. Personally I don't start my engine below 25F which is well within the base stock's "10w" to do it's job properly. And I don't give a rat's behind about fuel efficiency.

40W or 50W oil at track temps can still stay around or above 10cSt@100C which appears to be the industry "standard" (loosely) for acceptable norms of flow rates and bearing support. A high horsepower engine makes more *bang* on each stroke which means the bearing journals get a right royal shock force applied and it's only the very thin oil film that is keeping the flexing crank (most people don't upgrade the crank when they add a blower) from full on contact with the bearing shells. In non-scientific terms you want that oil film to be as "instantly" thick as possible to cushion the parts while also being thin enough for the oil pump to be able to move enough of it fast enough to keep all the other oiling demands satisfied.

I will be running a 65/35 mix of 10w30 and 10w40 in my NA GT that will see a lot of HPDE time. Should the oil temps not keep up I'll probably put some 10w50 or 15w50 in for that 35%.

95jd970

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have a 2018 and yes, the recommended "daily" use is 5-20. I started to run 5-30 all the time in it right before winter though. It is what they recommend for "track use" however, I find it stupid to have to change the oil from 5-20 to 5-30 every time I go autocross and go to the strip.

Most of the time going to the strip is an unplanned event, so changing the oil before going wont necessarily happen all of the time.

After I had lund tune my car, I asked Brandon what his thoughts were on running 5-30 at all times. His recommendation was to run 5-50 all the time. I did not follow that, but i figure 5-30 is a good happy medium.
Agree with you on that. it all boils down to MPG government & the manufacturer 5/20 gives better fuel mileage so that is what ford is going to recommend
Sponsored