Sponsored

Ford PP 2 Pinging

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Bring this from the dead. I am experiencing the exact same noise at around same rpms. It's a diesel truck rattle sound. It only happens when it's hot outside and iats are above 100. Like OP said, the mornings going to work when it's cool outside there is no rattle or loss of power it runs strong. I am sure it's detonation.

bought the 3/8 barbed unions to splice the oem vacuum lines back together.
Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Bring this from the dead. I am experiencing the exact same noise at around same rpms. It's a diesel truck rattle sound. It only happens when it's hot outside and iats are above 100. Like OP said, the mornings going to work when it's cool outside there is no rattle or loss of power it runs strong. I am sure it's detonation.

bought the 3/8 barbed unions to splice the oem vacuum lines back together.
Been doing research on these for years. Unfortunately too many stories like this to make want to pull the trigger.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it sounds like a bunch of marbles it is knock. If it pings like hitting a tuning fork it is pre-ignition.

Need better fuel.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Been doing research on these for years. Unfortunately too many stories like this to make want to pull the trigger.

What are the odds this pops up right now. I just finished 10 min ago putting everything back to stock.

The sound is completely gone. The car is a bit more tame now but it feels smooth and I am relieved.

Trying to splice the vacuum lines back together was fun though. I envy the 17s.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The FPP tunes are pretty aggressive with ign timing. Too aggressive IMO.

Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
What are the odds this pops up right now. I just finished 10 min ago putting everything back to stock.

The sound is completely gone. The car is a bit more tame now but it feels smooth and I am relieved.

Trying to splice the vacuum lines back together was fun though. I envy the 17s.
Yeah, I'm going to hold off for a while. I plan on owning this car for a very long time and care more about making it lighter and grippier in the mountains. 435 hp is plenty on the back roads. I prefer peace of mind for reliability.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yea I was warned by a well known tuner about the timing. I should have listened.

The kit did give low end power for sure but not at the expense of possible damage.

I will save for a supercharger and be done.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yea I was warned by a well known tuner about the timing. I should have listened.

The kit did give low end power for sure but not at the expense of possible damage.

I will save for a supercharger and be done.
91 or 93 octane?

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hate to say it seems consistent that west coast 91 is not friendly with this tune and it seems like most of those with issues are also running on 91 because 93 isn't available. Here we have 93 and I haven't heard any knock at temps and any rpm. I drive mostly with the windows down and the radio off so I should be able to hear it if that was happening. That being said, Ford made the tune to run on 91+ and it shouldn't have those issues.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've run the FRPP advance tables on 93 and although I cannot hear any knock the logs show it pulling timing at tip in and mid range high load areas.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I only noticed pinging at throttle tip in after I first installed it. It then it almost disappeared after some miles. It also did not seem to like the Shell gas (surprisingly), went to BP gas and never heard it ping again. I do agree that the timing is on the aggressive edge and gas quality is super important.

All that being said, I just pulled it off the car for a Whipple stage 2. :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
+5 ect

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Resurrecting this one - I'm running this on my Australian spec 2017 GT. I believe the export maps may be different or something - they don't have the same codes in Procal anyway.

I fitted the kit to mine at 27000km (17000mi), it currently has just under 32000km (20000mi).

I'm experiencing what sounds like light pinging in the low the mid rpm range on anything other than light throttle.

Our fuels are measured on a different scale over here, but I'm running 98 octane - roughly equivalent to US 93.

When I installed the calibration I carried out a crank relearn and switched it straight to octane adjust - I didn't try the normal map - not sure whether I should have or not.

I've been running an oil seperator since approximately 7500km (5000ish mi) - a UPR at first, then swapped to a Ford Performance after having issues with the fittings leaking on the UPR.

Ford specifies 5W30 for us over here rather than the 5W20 you guys run stateside. I'm running full synthetic Castrol 5W30 oil - I added Ceratec just after the last change at ~25000km.

Not sure whether there's anything I can try to remedy this? The car runs great on the PP2 over stock, so it would be a shame to remove it - but on the other hand I plan on keeping this for a long time, so I don't want to run the risk of engine damage in the longer term for the sake of slightly improved performance.