Sponsored

Ford PP 2 Pinging

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
If it Were Me at this point and this all started after tune, nothing like this noise before pp2? Then I would go back to stock. I can have the stock intake and thottle body on in like 15 mins and see if it goes away.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If it Were Me at this point and this all started after tune, nothing like this noise before pp2? Then I would go back to stock. I can have the stock intake and thottle body on in like 15 mins and see if it goes away.
It seems that way, but I wasn't really listening for odd noises before, and also I had my sound tube in.. can't be sure the sound wasn't present before.

If I had your technical abilities, I would likely be going back to stock.. I had a friend help me install this, and I don't really have good tools or anything to swap it back. Before bugging him for more help, I'd like to try to come up with other fixes if possible.

Also, the lack of knock or misfires on my log make me a bit skeptical of it being ping/knock

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Messed around with the ProCal a bit, going to try recording a log with this one. Previously I have recorded with an old SCT XF3, so I'm not 100% confident that it is grabbing the proper variables. With this ProCal (Used to flash the PCM with the PP2), and 4 different "Knock" parameters, I should feel a bit better if they all come back negative.

Will follow up in a few hours.

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Recorded through the noise with the ProCal tool. Knock retard + knock correction values were both 0. THere are two fields called "Knock Reference" S1, and S2.. Those had values, but I don't believe they correlate to knock events specifically (They recorded results even at idle, etc, seemed to move up and down with RPM).

Not convinced it is knock or ping at this point..

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Recorded through the noise with the ProCal tool. Knock retard + knock correction values were both 0. THere are two fields called "Knock Reference" S1, and S2.. Those had values, but I don't believe they correlate to knock events specifically (They recorded results even at idle, etc, seemed to move up and down with RPM).

Not convinced it is knock or ping at this point..
Sounds like mechanical noise like I mentioned before. I'd have the dealership document it, that way your covered if there's any issues. Getting that audio recording would be immensely helpful. Also as suggested, returning it to stock to see if the noise is still there would be helpful for you to determine if the Power Pack has any relationship to it. As you mentioned it may have always been there and your just now hearing it.

This is one of the primary reasons however I'm such a big proponent of using Ford Performance for any engine modifications on a car you daily drive or don't have an extra $10k lying around for a new engine....it's covered under warranty. Even if there was an issue that was a legitimate manufacturing defect, it would be blamed on the modification and you SOL.

At least with Ford Performance you have a 36k / 3 year no questions asked warranty and beyond that your standard power train warranty still applies so long as the Ford Performance modifications aren't directly linked to the issue. Like a cam phasor going bad at 75k miles, which happens in completely stock engines...is a pricey and involved repair as an example.

Anyway this really sounds like mechanical noise. It may or may not even be related to the engine however. Are there any other mods applied when you had the Power Pack 2 installed? Like suspension etc.?

Sponsored

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like mechanical noise like I mentioned before. I'd have the dealership document it, that way your covered if there's any issues. Getting that audio recording would be immensely helpful. Also as suggested, returning it to stock to see if the noise is still there would be helpful for you to determine if the Power Pack has any relationship to it. As you mentioned it may have always been there and your just now hearing it.

This is one of the primary reasons however I'm such a big proponent of using Ford Performance for any engine modifications on a car you daily drive or don't have an extra $10k lying around for a new engine....it's covered under warranty. Even if there was an issue that was a legitimate manufacturing defect, it would be blamed on the modification and you SOL.

At least with Ford Performance you have a 36k / 3 year no questions asked warranty and beyond that your standard power train warranty still applies so long as the Ford Performance modifications aren't directly linked to the issue. Like a cam phasor going bad at 75k miles, which happens in completely stock engines...is a pricey and involved repair as an example.

Anyway this really sounds like mechanical noise. It may or may not even be related to the engine however. Are there any other mods applied when you had the Power Pack 2 installed? Like suspension etc.?
Thanks.

The car is a 2015, just short of 36K mi, not too concerned about the 36k/ 3 year warranty.. Powertrain should still be covered, though (or so I've read). Would this also apply if I did the install + tune without the dealership? I plan on getting a bit of an early oil change in the next couple weeks, I will mention the sound to them at that time.

No other mods installed besides hood struts that day..... ........ Hmm maybe I will confirm those are tight though :)

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Update here..

After hearing the rattle / ping, I got fed up and went to a local mustang shop. He popped it on the dyno and told me that there was too much timing below 5K rpm. I've attached the dyno sheet. He said it is not a rattle, but definitely pinging.

Am I going to have any luck dealing with Ford Racing on this?

Also- oil catch can is installed.

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/cWQZ3Xc

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base Auto
I listened to your recording and I hear the exact same sounds you hear from my car after I Installed power pack 2 last year. Only noticeable when the sound can reflect off a surface like a wall. Since I have not gotten any engine lights or codes I figured I was hearing things.

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I listened to your recording and I hear the exact same sounds you hear from my car after I Installed power pack 2 last year. Only noticeable when the sound can reflect off a surface like a wall. Since I have not gotten any engine lights or codes I figured I was hearing things.
Yeah, I even tried datalogging mine, no knock codes or anything.

Apparently it's very common with canned tunes in Canada, our gas is shit.

I would get a second opinion if I were you, just to be safe. Pinging = bad.

If you look at the way the car puts power down on my dyno, it's pretty clear that there is too much timing. Even with octane adjust set to "Y", 94 fuel, and a catch can...

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I even tried datalogging mine, no knock codes or anything.

Apparently it's very common with canned tunes in Canada, our gas is shit.

I would get a second opinion if I were you, just to be safe. Pinging = bad.

If you look at the way the car puts power down on my dyno, it's pretty clear that there is too much timing. Even with octane adjust set to "Y", 94 fuel, and a catch can...
I’m still not certain it is pinging, the engine puts down a lot more power and runs smoother and cooler since power pack 2 was installed. I wondered if the sounds we hear is coming from the open cold air intake. Since the noise isn’t a true pinging sound?

Sponsored
OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
That may be the case for you.. I notice some power for sure.. Especially when its cooler out. On the hot days, or when the car is fully warmed up, it's not very smooth.

I have heard the intake sucking air in, and it sounds great, but I don't believe it should create a "rattle" sound.

I'm not 100% convinced it's pinging either, but the tune does not seem to work great with my car, either way, as evident by the dyno.

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That may be the case for you.. I notice some power for sure.. Especially when its cooler out. On the hot days, or when the car is fully warmed up, it's not very smooth.

I have heard the intake sucking air in, and it sounds great, but I don't believe it should create a "rattle" sound.

I'm not 100% convinced it's pinging either, but the tune does not seem to work great with my car, either way, as evident by the dyno.
Yes the dyno numbers are not good. I’ve never put my car on a dyno so I can’t say what if any impact power pack 2 had on my car.

Are you going to go back to stock?

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yes the dyno numbers are not good. I’ve never put my car on a dyno so I can’t say what if any impact power pack 2 had on my car.

Are you going to go back to stock?
Yep, I will be removing the PP2 tomorrow and seeing what happens. I may try to get another dyno run in sometime soon as well to compare the results.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Have the PP1 on my 16 GT and hear it too. Turned octane adjust to"Y", no change. Added the Ford Performance oil/air separator for the passenger side, no change. Been driving the car hard for about 5k miles since the tune and no problems yet

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Doesn't sound like a ping to me. Sounds more like a vibrating flap with air hitting the flap. I probably wouldnt worry about it if the log shows nothing wrong.
Thinking about it, I may have heard that noise at low loads before but rarely not sure? Maybe I'm imagining things. Car's runs well otherwise.

Maybe email Ford perf and see if they have anything to say about.

Here's a dyno of pp2 and pp1 as comparison. Your dyno curve does seem funky for sure. Since it was a mustang shop they should know what they were doing, but I there might be a small chance they forgot to properly disable traction control by pulling the plug or fuse and causing weird dyno results. Did they do that?

23%20-%20Dyno%202016%20Mustang%20GT%20Power%20Pack%201%20vs%20Power%20Pack%202-X2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: