Ford PP 2 Pinging

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have it on mine with no preignition. So, I guess I should say that I am lucky? Yes, it does make it more fun to drive. It isn't the fastest thing out there, but it is more fun to drive. I use Shell 91 octane. I have used octane booster and it seems to add a bit. I also like adding about 3-4 gallons of Sunoco 100 octane to a tank of 91 once in a while. The car really seems to enjoy that.

I am no expert, but a supercharger is going to require a totally different tune, among other things, and you will have other issues to deal with, no doubt.

The chances of FP taking it back and refund? Uncontrollable laughter here with falling down and loss of body function control.

So, not to just chime in with nothing to offer I would suggest trying different brand of fuel, additives possibly, making sure your MAF sensor is clean, along with air filter and plugs are in answers. Hope that there is someone who figures this out for all of you who have the problem.
I bet you didn't know I was a comedian. :crackup: Yeah thoughts of a refund are but a fantasy at this point. One other member here said FP accepted the kit back.

Going to try the Boostane but just to see what effect it has. The tune is supposed run on 91 and I'm not buying the cheap gas either.
Sponsored

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
The plugs will help if it is pre-ignition.
What is the MON of your gas? Motor octane

I would try some octane booster, if it goes away you need better gas.
They measure our gas in RON over here in Australia, 98 is the highest octane pump gas we have. It's supposed to be roughly equivalent to 92 MON.

I have tried octane booster and it stops the pinging, but unfortunately I'm already using the highest octane gas we can get.

I've picked up a set of NGK 6510s to try out. I'll fit those up and update everyone as to whether it resolves the pinging issue. If it's as simple as potentially having to replace the plugs a touch more frequently if they foul up earlier, I'm happy with that rather than pinging!

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Is the noise you're hearing the same as this? :

Not my video but matches the noise mine makes. Some people saying its rod knock or piston slap. It's hard to tell what exactly the noise is. I don't really want to take it to the dealer because dealers suck but if it something that is damaged I should do it while I still have powertrain warranty. Sounds like people with the same issue had to get short block replaced.

If it's pinging/knocking due to the cal I may try restoring the stock cal/installing the stock tb/air box and see if it goes away.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

Not my video but matches the noise mine makes. Some people saying its rod knock or piston slap. It's hard to tell what exactly the noise is. I don't really want to take it to the dealer because dealers suck but if it something that is damaged I should do it while I still have powertrain warranty. Sounds like people with the same issue had to get short block replaced.

If it's pinging/knocking due to the cal I may try restoring the stock cal/installing the stock tb/air box and see if it goes away.

Yeow!! that sounds really bad. So bad I would not run that engine. It sounds like it is trying to tell you that it needs some love and I mean right now.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
They measure our gas in RON over here in Australia, 98 is the highest octane pump gas we have. It's supposed to be roughly equivalent to 92 MON.

I have tried octane booster and it stops the pinging, but unfortunately I'm already using the highest octane gas we can get.

I've picked up a set of NGK 6510s to try out. I'll fit those up and update everyone as to whether it resolves the pinging issue. If it's as simple as potentially having to replace the plugs a touch more frequently if they foul up earlier, I'm happy with that rather than pinging!

I am running NGK LTR6BI-13 Laser Iridium plugs. No ping. Not sure if they are referenced as 6510's down your way.

Sponsored

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)

Sheesh, that sounds dreadful. One of the worst typewriter ticks I've heard. We don't seem to get it as prevalent over here - Ford Australia stipulates 5W30 for our Coyotes, rather than the 5W20 you guys run over there.

Mine is definitely pinging - happens 2000-3500rpm under load and goes away if I run octane booster (even though I'm running the highest octane pump gas we can get).

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Yeow!! that sounds really bad. So bad I would not run that engine. It sounds like it is trying to tell you that it needs some love and I mean right now.
Yeah agreed that car sounds really bad. Luckily that's not mine but mine will occasionally make a couple ticks that have similar sound to that video when operating under certain conditions. noticeable during a light tip in at like 1500rpm or coasting low speeds in lower gears around those rpms too.

Just wish I could pinpoint exactly what the noise is. I'll probably drop it off at a dealer if they aren't all too backlogged.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Yeah agreed that car sounds really bad. Luckily that's not mine but mine will occasionally make a couple ticks that have similar sound to that video when operating under certain conditions. noticeable during a light tip in at like 1500rpm or coasting low speeds in lower gears around those rpms too.

Just wish I could pinpoint exactly what the noise is. I'll probably drop it off at a dealer if they aren't all too backlogged.

I suggest not to drive it. It might self-diagnose and be very expensive when it does.

Good Luck! I hope that my fears are overblown.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It's supposed to be roughly equivalent to 92 MON.
Here we use (RON+MON)/2

So if you can find the MON of your fuel you can compare to us.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Here we use (RON+MON)/2

So if you can find the MON of your fuel you can compare to us.
Just looked a bit further - our 98RON Premium Unleaded is apparently equal to roughly 93 AKI. However our fuel is a bit average here compared to the US and Europe.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Please do update us here.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I am running NGK LTR6BI-13 Laser Iridium plugs. No ping.
Did you have ping prior to running these plugs?
What did you set your gap to?

Please report back here with your results.

If changing plugs is all I have to do then that would be awesome. Right now, I'm considering removing the kit/tune and going back to stock.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
I

If changing plugs is all I have to do then that would be awesome. Right now, I'm considering removing the kit/tune and going back to stock.

BTW the 6510 is the stock # and LTR6BI-13 is the NKG part #.
I've gone for LTR7IX-11 (6510), one step colder than the stock plug. Should be here tomorrow, so I'll fit them and give it a test. I believe they come gapped to 0.043, I may take that to 0.047 or something, to the lower end of the factory gap range.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)

No ping prior.

Set to factory spec.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
No ping prior.

Set to factory spec.
Thank you. A plug change will likely not help in my case. I may pull the factory installed plugs to inspect and check the gaps. At that point I might as well change them.
Sponsored