Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I read your adventures with Ford on some of the other posts and I pray to the Lord I don't go down this road. I bought this car, I didn't lease and if I start going down this I will sell it. To be frank how do you solve a C Pillar creak?
Most issues have been fixed. A few remain. Intermittently, sync 3 won’t recognize Apple CarPlay. They replaced the unit and updated the firmware, but it’s still an intermittent issue; I’ll just do a soft reboot when this happens from now on as there isn’t anything left to do.

The passenger C-pillar rattle has gotten much worse. It’s a tapping sound and it escalates to a rustling leaves type of sound when driving over a longer stretch of uneven surface.

Another dealership tried to fix it, but really didn’t. They just passively put a strip of grey box foam on the bottom of the c-pillar cover in the inside. Lazy bums. I opened it up and had someone else drive while I was sitting back there. The sound isn’t coming from anything underneath the cover like the airbag canister or the wires. It may be coming from the suspension or the BCM module in the trunk. Possibly even squeaky weld point in the chassis itself.
This is my eighth car and I’ve never been so annoyed with a noise.

We’ll see what they say next Tuesday .
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’ll just do a soft reboot when this happens. Possibly even squeaky weld point in the chassis itself.
Hey, how do you perform a soft reboot on Mustangs? Also with the audio power button and fast forward key at the same time? If not, please provide details :). Thank you.

As far as the 'C-pillar' noise, I agree with you it's most likely two sheet metal panels creaking due to lack of tack welds, a loose one, or some other such defect. It's pretty easy to fix by just shoving something between them, but the hard part is to find exactly where. What I'd do is remove the trunk floor and anything in the spare cavity, and the right trunk liner, leaving sheet metal exposed on the entire right half of the trunk. Then fold down the passenger seatback while you ride seated behind the driver, and see if you can find a way to quiet the rattle. Push everywhere. If not, at least you should be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Good news...Levittown Ford just shipped my FRPP kit, it came early. Bad news is the car is getting a new oil pan as a brand new car has a leaky oil pan and needs to be replaced.....Not getting a lot of confidence in new Fords.
Think of how many cars on the road have a leaky oil pan, lol. I've owned like 3 or 4 at this point where I just let it go, it never hurt anything. Sure, it seems scary it would happen on a new car, but defects are most likely to show up in the first 10,000 miles.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hey, how do you perform a soft reboot on Mustangs? Also with the audio power button and fast forward key at the same time? If not, please provide details :). Thank you.

As far as the 'C-pillar' noise, I agree with you it's most likely two sheet metal panels creaking due to lack of tack welds, a loose one, or some other such defect. It's pretty easy to fix by just shoving something between them, but the hard part is to find exactly where. What I'd do is remove the trunk floor and anything in the spare cavity, and the right trunk liner, leaving sheet metal exposed on the entire right half of the trunk. Then fold down the passenger seatback while you ride seated behind the driver, and see if you can find a way to quiet the rattle. Push everywhere. If not, at least you should be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
For the soft reset, it’s just the power and fast forward button like you said.
For the creaking, Since I have a subwoofer on the right side of the trunk, it needs to be removed first in order to get out the trunk liner out on the right side, which is why I want the dealership to take a crack at it.

sometimes I wonder if Camaro owners deal with these kinds of issues too.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All manufacturers deal with problems on new cars. Some minor some major headaches. Good we have warranty .

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Since I have a subwoofer on the right side of the trunk, it needs to be removed first in order to get out the trunk liner out on the right side, which is why I want the dealership to take a crack at it.
Do you really trust a dealer to find a creak... and without damaging your car? I don't :). At any rate, forgot about the subwoofer, but it's only 3 bolts and it's out. I removed it recently to stuff it with Poly-Fil, and literally took me a minute to remove. I'd definitely try to find the source of the creaking myself first, and if unsuccessful, take the car to a dealer already 'dismantled', to minimize the chances of a bad experience. I'd also cover your seats, and vulnerable areas with towels, to prevent scuffs, scrapes, etc. Good luck.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Think of how many cars on the road have a leaky oil pan, lol. I've owned like 3 or 4 at this point where I just let it go, it never hurt anything. Sure, it seems scary it would happen on a new car, but defects are most likely to show up in the first 10,000 miles.

I am definitely happy it happened early in its warranty period. Another reason why I got this FRPP kit, warranty work. Now Ford probably wouldn't have denied this claim with a defective oil pan if I had a tune, but who knows. That being said the reason why I am concerned is the history I have had with new Fords lately. My 2015 Ford Focus SE needed a new engine at 6k miles, my wifes 2014 Ford Escape Titanium went through a slew of problems including numerous recalls. My wifes 2017 Ford Escape Titamium had no issues and so far her 2020 Ford Escape has no issues, also I had a 2014 FiST and loved that car (never should have sold it) that had no issues. My brothers 2017 V6 Mustang at 19k miles needs a new waterpump. I have owned 2 BMW E46 M3s, not one warranty claim, 2 E92 M3s not one warranty claim in which my 2013 I owned since new for 7 years. I also owned several other BMWs as well as a Porsche 997 which has had no issues. Now believe me I know BMW and other manufacturers have had issues, I have friends who have had serious issues especially with the later 5 and 6 series that have HPFPs and such. I love my Mustang but I am concerned that there will be other issues. I do take solace that the Ford Mustang GT is one of the most reliable cars on the surveys that has come out on this car and hope its a fluke.

Now to just get it back so I can get my Performance Pack installed!! Can't wait!!

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I am definitely happy it happened early in its warranty period. Another reason why I got this FRPP kit, warranty work. Now Ford probably wouldn't have denied this claim with a defective oil pan if I had a tune, but who knows. That being said the reason why I am concerned is the history I have had with new Fords lately. My 2015 Ford Focus SE needed a new engine at 6k miles, my wifes 2014 Ford Escape Titanium went through a slew of problems including numerous recalls. My wifes 2017 Ford Escape Titamium had no issues and so far her 2020 Ford Escape has no issues, also I had a 2014 FiST and loved that car (never should have sold it) that had no issues. My brothers 2017 V6 Mustang at 19k miles needs a new waterpump. I have owned 2 BMW E46 M3s, not one warranty claim, 2 E92 M3s not one warranty claim in which my 2013 I owned since new for 7 years. I also owned several other BMWs as well as a Porsche 997 which has had no issues. Now believe me I know BMW and other manufacturers have had issues, I have friends who have had serious issues especially with the later 5 and 6 series that have HPFPs and such. I love my Mustang but I am concerned that there will be other issues. I do take solace that the Ford Mustang GT is one of the most reliable cars on the surveys that has come out on this car and hope its a fluke.

Now to just get it back so I can get my Performance Pack installed!! Can't wait!!
Praying I don't have to go back to the Japanese to get the reliability factor. RC-F is about all I can afford that is close to my Roush in badassness (it's a word, look it up...) and that would be a used one, likely out of bumper to bumper warranty. I wouldn't have problems, but I would have the notorious 2K break job...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I do take solace that the Ford Mustang GT is one of the most reliable cars on the surveys that has come out on this car and hope its a fluke.
Just wanted to point out that a true 'issue' is one that requires, or will require repairs for sure. The Coyotes have embarrassing quality issues (that should have been corrected long ago), like the infamous 'tick' (which sounds like the engine is going to throw a rod at any time), or the super annoying 2K rattle... but they're reportedly not detrimental to the engine, so they shouldn't be considered reliability issues.

I think most cars built after 04/22/2019 (which is the date of the last powertrain TSB, I believe), should be quite reliable if not abused. That's why I took the gamble with my Aug-2019 built Bullitt. And yes, it has the dreaded 2K rattle (like most others), but fortunately, it doesn't bother me that much. And so far, no tick after the first oil change. Have 1 more to go, to minimize the chances of getting it even more. Happy camper so far :). But yeah, build quality is quite low for $50K+, but thankfully, after owning a 2018 F-150 Platinum, my build quality expectations were low for this car, so not disappointed :).

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to point out that a true 'issue' is one that requires, or will require repairs for sure. The Coyotes have embarrassing quality issues (that should have been corrected long ago), like the infamous 'tick' (which sounds like the engine is going to throw a rod at any time), or the super annoying 2K rattle... but they're reportedly not detrimental to the engine, so they shouldn't be considered reliability issues.

I think most cars built after 04/22/2019 (which is the date of the last powertrain TSB, I believe), should be quite reliable if not abused. That's why I took the gamble with my Aug-2019 built Bullitt. And yes, it has the dreaded 2K rattle (like most others), but fortunately, it doesn't bother me that much. And so far, no tick after the first oil change. Have 1 more to go, to minimize the chances of getting it even more. Happy camper so far :). But yeah, build quality is quite low for $50K+, but thankfully, after owning a 2018 F-150 Platinum, my build quality expectations were low for this car, so not disappointed :).

I have owned a slew of Fords in the present and past. I don't consider the tick or rattle reliability issues. Still there has been a lot of engines replaced, not only for the Coyote but for the Voodoo as well. I was well prepped for the lack of build quality when I bought my Stang. I have to say though, the build quality of my wifes 2020 Ford Escape isn't to BMW X3 quality, but it is pretty good. I just hope there isn't reliability issues is what I am concerned about. There is a reason why a new BMW M4 is $75K vs. a fully loaded GT at $52k. Overall I am very happy with the Mustang, its just I am concerned that this isn't the start of a copious amount of issues. I still think the Mustang is a heck of a bargain for what you get.

Now going back to me getting my kit to get this thread back on track. My Mustang should be back on Friday and I plan on taking it to Galpin to get it installed.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah make sure you ge the air inlet tube with your power kit. Many of us didn't the 1st go around.
Ahh, didn't receive it yet. Should be Wednesday, thanks for the heads up.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Most issues have been fixed. A few remain. Intermittently, sync 3 won’t recognize Apple CarPlay. They replaced the unit and updated the firmware, but it’s still an intermittent issue; I’ll just do a soft reboot when this happens from now on as there isn’t anything left to do.
I have an MY18, built in Oct 17, and have had this issue since the first week I had the car. I don't think there is really a resolution. Probably just software issues between Sync and Apple.
Sponsored