Sponsored

Ford Performance Track Handling Pack

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
any feedback on the PP2 vs Ford track handling pack?
Sponsored

SuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I would be interested as well to find the differences between 2018 PP2
and M-FR3A-M8A Ford Performance Track Handling Pack

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Why not just go straight to a GT350R suspension setup?

1. BMR SP083 - 250 lbs/in Front and 980 lbs/in Rear vs. GT350R's OE setup at 240 lbs/in Front and 920 lbs/in Rear
2. Ford Performance Track Dampers - same valving as GT350's
3. GT350R OE Bars, for $200 you can get the OE 34mm front bar and 24 mm rear bar + mounts / bushings
4. Steeda Roll Center / Bump Steer Correction Kit - the extended ball stud lateral links are set for a 7/8" (0.875) front ride height, which is exactly the ride height of both BMR's SP083 springs and Steeda's Comp DR Springs. The GT350/R has a corrected roll center for proper geometry as it sits 0.7" lower than a standard GT.
5. FP Outer Toe Link Spherical Bearings (in the FP Track Pack Kit, highly recommend for superior traction in power down situations)
6. BMR CB05 IRS Lockout - locks out he IRS and centers it all in one kit. Only adds 4lbs over stock.

The ride frequency of the Track Pack and the above setup is pretty close but with a slightly greater emphasis on handling, enough that I think it will be noticeable even if your not pushing the ragged edge. Certainly there are other benefits such as front end grip via contact patch with a corrected geometry, better tire wear, better steering feel etc.

This setup will out handle the FP Track Pack with nearly identical ride. The FP Track pack front springs I think are also 240 lbs/in, but the rears are a bit soft at 880 lbs / in and the ride height is compromised to cater to the "looks" crowd at 1" without having too much of a negative impact on handling. It's a balance. Also the bars a bit overly stiff to compensate for a sub-par geometry.

For example, GM sells a 1LE "upgrade" package for the 1/2SS. Guess what? It has extended stud lateral links (both the Alpha and S550 use dual ball joint front ends). Why? Because correct geometry is very important if you really want a handling car. Maybe not for a corner carver that only sees street use, but if you legitimately like to push the limits, street or track, it's worth it. I personally think it's worth it for the tire wear issues it solves alone. Even with an alignment I was wearing the inside shoulders of my front tires on my Ecoboost when I had that (FP Street X Springs, FP sway bars front and back, FP Outer Toe Link Spherical Bearings, IRS Lockout and a factory alignment).

I know the FP front bars are 35 mm (solid) and markedly stiffer than the 34mm GT350R front bars (hollow). Not sure about the back but I'd guess the same. It's a good kit compared to stock, but you can do better if you know what to change, why and what to change it to. Geometry is very important and when you lower more than about 0.5" you start to really see the ugly side of a non-optimized geometry. To correct that, OE's and many after market companies often resort to over compensating with stiffer springs and bars.

Using stiffer springs and bars can counteract the increased leverage of a lowered roll center, but it won't fix tire wear, contact patch and camber curve issues whose effects still remain. I'm NOT partial to a particular after market supplier. For example I would NOT recommend anything but Ford Performance Power Packs if you want a power adder because of reliability, emissions, warranty and drive ability.

They offer the best balance of those that no one else can come close to. But I think you can do better with suspension tuning than their track pack for the same or less cost even though it is a substantial improvement over stock. I've used their Street X springs and sway bars in the past and they were great for that application on my Ecoboost, but having gone a different route on my GT and after learning about geometry I realized I could have done much better yet.

SuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I put the Track Pack on my 2018 10 speed back in April and it handles great. I use this car mainly on the track for track days and what a difference. Yes it is much firmer than the PP1 package but it is still very streetable. I also put on 2 piece rotors, made changes the front rotor back plates and made a big change to the rotor air diverter. I am still perfecting this design and will post the plans of what works for me in a couple of months.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I'm looking to install this on my '18 EB PP. I have a couple questions; 1) The instructions from Ford show removing the exhaust and rear suspension knuckles. Most of the install videos (e.g., CJ Pony) do not show removal of the exhaust or knuckles, just lowering the rear subframe. Based on the "video evidence", it would seem like the Ford instructions are unnecessary. Correct? 2) My understanding is that base GTs and EB PP cars already have this rear toe link installed. What about the toe link bearing, i.e., would my '18 EB PP already have that bearing installed with the toe link as well, or is that truly a different part with the Track Pack kit?

thanks.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Exhaust usually has to come down in order to get to the rear bolts that hold up the subframe. PP cars have a bearing on the toe link itself, not the part that is connected to the knuckle. Removing the knuckle makes it easier to complete the bushing removal and bearing install.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exhaust usually has to come down in order to get to the rear bolts that hold up the subframe. PP cars have a bearing on the toe link itself, not the part that is connected to the knuckle. Removing the knuckle makes it easier to complete the bushing removal and bearing install.
For clarification, I'm wondering if this part https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5A460-M is already installed on my PP car. Thanks.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
It's not. That's the part that goes in the knuckle. The toe link bolts through that piece and the other end of the toe link has a bearing on PP cars.

NathanSean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Whats up everybody, I have been thinking about buying the Ford Performance Track Handling pack for my 2017 Mustang GT. I was wondering if anybody has this setup without installing the toe to knuckle bearings? Does it make that big of a difference? I can do the rest of the work myself, but those bearings/bushings I have heard are a pain in the neck. I rather not mess with them, and I won't ever be actually tracking the car. Any feedback is more than appreciated. Thank you.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Whats up everybody, I have been thinking about buying the Ford Performance Track Handling pack for my 2017 Mustang GT. I was wondering if anybody has this setup without installing the toe to knuckle bearings? Does it make that big of a difference? I can do the rest of the work myself, but those bearings/bushings I have heard are a pain in the neck. I rather not mess with them, and I won't ever be actually tracking the car. Any feedback is more than appreciated. Thank you.
I've had them before and after. It does make a difference, yes. Do you need it? No.

Sponsored

SuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
If you are Tracking your car, than yes the Ford Track Package is great to have.
If NOT going to track on a regular basis, than No, It is a little stiff for a daily driver.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
And the track handling package is fine for the street. Drove it like that for 1 1/2 years.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Its not crazy stiff for dailying I do it in the summer. Done several long drives no issues.

I paid a shop todo the knuckles it wasnt expensive. 1hr labour i think i got billed for. 3 years later no issues yet.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got the FP Track Suspension kit. I can confirm that the front sway bar now has the bushing stops built into it, so no need to buy separate locks or use hose clamps, etc.
Stang front sway.jpg
Sponsored