Ford Performance Hood Struts

Bruiser2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
I bought my 2020 California Special convertible about three weeks ago and my first mod was to install the Ford Performance hood struts. They didn't take long to install even though the 3/4 inch hole in the battery cover was not large enough. My Dremel tool made quick work of making the hole the size it needed to be.

I kept having a problem with left side lower bracket twisting 5 to 10 (?) degrees, causing the strut to pop off. I tightened past the spec and it still twisted. I made sure the nut was side to side. No matter what I did, it kept twisting. I also noticed the hood would flex when I closed it. I didn't like that at all so I have taken the kit back off. When I took the kit off I noticed the lower right mount had twisted also, just not quite as much.

I am thinking of getting the Roush kit. I like the lower bracket design as it seems that it can't rotate. The upper brackets are longer and come past the hood bracket so they seem like they would offer more support there and hopefully prevent the hood flex. I just read a ten page long thread about hood struts and the Roush struts were mentioned, but only a few times. So does anyone actually have them? If so, how are they holding up?

Thanks,
-Bob
Sponsored

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had any problems with my Ford struts, but yeah there is a little flex. Everyone that gets the Roush kits seems to like it, so I don't think you can go wrong with that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
As you have read, the three most liked brands are Redline, Steeda, and, of course, Roush. The Roush are the most expensive so that’s a concern for many. Honestly you cannot go wrong with any of these.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I bought my 2020 California Special convertible about three weeks ago and my first mod was to install the Ford Performance hood struts. They didn't take long to install even though the 3/4 inch hole in the battery cover was not large enough. My Dremel tool made quick work of making the hole the size it needed to be.

I kept having a problem with left side lower bracket twisting 5 to 10 (?) degrees, causing the strut to pop off. I tightened past the spec and it still twisted. I made sure the nut was side to side. No matter what I did, it kept twisting. I also noticed the hood would flex when I closed it. I didn't like that at all so I have taken the kit back off. When I took the kit off I noticed the lower right mount had twisted also, just not quite as much.

I am thinking of getting the Roush kit. I like the lower bracket design as it seems that it can't rotate. The upper brackets are longer and come past the hood bracket so they seem like they would offer more support there and hopefully prevent the hood flex. I just read a ten page long thread about hood struts and the Roush struts were mentioned, but only a few times. So does anyone actually have them? If so, how are they holding up?

Thanks,
-Bob
Weird, I have a Cervinis hood and the Ford Performance hood struts were what they recommended because they are rated for a higher weight. Mine have been fine and I open the hood after every drive to let the engine cool better.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I had FP struts, they also did the twist and after a year the bottom mount rusted.

Redline all the way, 3 years and still perfect.

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I love the Redlines and they have been nothing but exemplary with their product.

After a couple 130F days, mine are not so good when they are hot, not sure what they do in the cold, bad word around here.

That being said, I have faith in them in normal conditions, 2020 is NOT nominal, AT ALL.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Thanks,
-Bob
I had the same thing happen to mine on the same side with the Ford struts. Its not the struts, you don't have it on right. At least that is what mine was. If I recall correctly it was the bracket under the battery cover that was not on right. I repositioned mine and all is well.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Hood struts! It's the way Ford should have built the car.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
My Steeda struts have been flawless for over a year now.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I did a lot of reading before I bought my Redline struts. I would have preferred the Ford struts because, well, Ford. But there was so many bad reports o them, like the twisting and flexing, I decided on the Redline. I've had them a few months with zero issues.
And I agree, they should be stock.

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Redlines on mine for nearly a year and -0- issues. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to put on the Ford ones and I took them off. Literally hood wouldn't close and the passenger side would twist as you mentioned once I got the hood to close. I will get redline now.

carfixer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claude
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Had the Redlines on my 14 GT500, my Bullitt will have the same. Superior quality.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have a link to the Redlines?