Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon!

I have my first track event coming up. Want to run some questions by the pros (you all)

My car is stock.. I did upgrade to Z26 powerstop pads like 2k miles ago.

The car has 9600 miles on it now. I just ordered Amsoil dot4 brake fluid. Does this need to be changed before I hit the track or can I run my stock setup for this one and the next one in a month or so get the fluid swapped.

Plan on taking it easy on the first go here. Blackhawl farms in WI is the track we are running.

Michelin Super sports are the tires, 9600 miles on them.

Andy
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Stock fluid is fine for 1-2 events assuming you haven't over-heated it before. You can literally roll this car off a showroom and go straight to the track. Just keep an eye on the brakes. Given that you're running non-OEM pads and this is your day on track in this car, just be smart in the braking zones, try not to ride them, and you'll be in good shape.

Remember, smooth is fast!

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stock fluid is fine for 1-2 events assuming you haven't over-heated it before. You can literally roll this car off a showroom and go straight to the track. Just keep an eye on the brakes. Given that you're running non-OEM pads and this is your day on track in this car, just be smart in the braking zones, try not to ride them, and you'll be in good shape.

Remember, smooth is fast!
Thank you honeybadger, been following you for some time. Big fan.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The general advice is to replace fluid that is >6 months old before going on track. Factory fluid is totally fine, but yours is old (i.e., the age is the issue, not the compound). That said, you will be fine if you don't have time to flush it before the event. Just be aware and if you get any softness in the pedal AT ALL, coast a few straights to cool off.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Is there a good set of instructions on how to perform the fluid change on these cars? I've seen a couple of Youtube videos but I am not sure whether they are following the proper procedure.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Good afternoon!

I have my first track event coming up. Want to run some questions by the pros (you all)

The car has 9600 miles on it now. I just ordered Amsoil dot4 brake fluid. Does this need to be changed before I hit the track or can I run my stock setup for this one and the next one in a month or so get the fluid swapped.

Plan on taking it easy on the first go here. Blackhawl farms in WI is the track we are running.

Andy
The one thing I'd urge is to go back to the factory brake pads for the day. They're built for track use and have proven to be extremely reliable and effective. It's one less thing to think about.

Also, if the brake fluid hasn't been changed since 2017, then change it before you go. See here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-pad-replacement-questions.141183/page-3#post-2987450

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon!

Andy
I flush with DOT4 before every event (HPDEs spaced about 3 months apart throughout the year). Might be overkill, but hey....what's $20 worth of brake fluid compared to discovering a soft pedal going into a sharp turn out of a 145MPH straight? I have an extra $20 and an afternoon. My mechanic says that in addition to time, temp and (more so) humidity can have an affect over time as well. You probably don't need to worry about humidity in WI, I'm guessing.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
The one thing I'd urge is to go back to the factory brake pads for the day. They're built for track use and have proven to be extremely reliable and effective. It's one less thing to think about.

Also, if the brake fluid hasn't been changed since 2017, then change it before you go. See here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-pad-replacement-questions.141183/page-3#post-2987450
This is solid advice. Those Z26’s are great street pads but I wouldn’t trust them on the track under those conditions, no way.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I back what kevin said.
If it is your first event just go there and have fun!
"Start to feel the car"
increase gradually speeds.
You will not set any records today
But
You will become addicted. Lol
We have warned you :)
If this addiction becomes serious.
I would suggest :
1. Dot 4 fluid ( motul 660 or SRF)
2. Better pads (we can discuss in a separate post )
3. Better tires
By the way remember to have your initial tire pressure slighlty lower than normal.
TRY TO HAVE hot pressure around 34 psi ( so after the first session u come in measure pressure.
SO IF I MAY. I WOULD BUY A PRESSURE GAUGE on amazon.
Also be sure to have the lugnuts properly torque.

The car is very capable. You will have a blast.
Be safe. Respect the rule. And watch some video of the track to learn the turns.
Alessandro.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

I second this.. I tracked my previous track pack any my R with stock pads, and I never ever experienced any brake fade, no matter how hard I was on the brakes... and I was pretty hard at the beginning, when I overshot braking points as a newbie. No fade, ever.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is solid advice. Those Z26’s are great street pads but I wouldn’t trust them on the track under those conditions, no way.
I also have the z26 pads and while they are great for spirited street driving you will get some fad while braking hard on a track. Its manageable though, just be aware of it.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I’m a fan of the stock pads on track, but that could be just me. I agree to change the fluid before. Back in the day when racing SCCA events at Blackhawk unfortunate racers who couldn’t stop ended up in the creek there. Don’t end up in the creek. Lol. It’s a very short and challenging little track.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the z26 pads and while they are great for spirited street driving you will get some fad while braking hard on a track. Its manageable though, just be aware of it.
Well I tossed the stock pads. Should I buy some track pads for this and next month or just run the Z26 and be careful?
Sponsored