Sponsored

First Track Day

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I am doing my first track day in the car in a couple months. I was planning on changing the oil and do a brake fluid flush before going. I have 8k miles on the car, should i replace my brake pads too? any recommendations?
Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Check your racing host/club suggestions; it will be a good starting point.

I would recommend getting it looked at by a mechanic for the first track day, especially after 8000 miles of street use. It's just too easy to miss that little transmission leak that becomes a real problem after three hours at 4000 RPM. At 8000 miles, I'd probably pick up a new set of stock brake pads unless you are confident with the inspection. Likewise, Michelin PSS tires, assuming you have only used them for basic street, may be fine at 8K miles, but could be worn or hardened in some cases.

For a school session, track night in america, local track, or repeat for the season, I would do it myself from the racing club checklist. I'd add hubs/spindles/lugs, wheels and tires, brake pads, seats and harnesses to the inspection. For a trip to a high speed racetrack, I would have someone else inspect it, for an impartial checkout.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
^excellent. You want it to be fun. The OEM pads have 10mm of total thickness. It is easy enough to get a gauge on the outward front pad to see what you may have left. I used up 2mm in two hard track days and 1,800 total miles. I just bought new OEM pads from the guys at white bear Ford for a very good price. I received them two days after order. This car is so much fun on the track and you will really enjoy it in that element.

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
In my opinion, road courses are the most fun you can have in these cars. You’ll be hooked.

For my first track day, I did no shifting once “up to speed.” Third gear only. This allowed me to learn racing lines, hitting the apex’s, braking zone etc. There is so much to learn once you scratch the surface of the hobby, but it’s a great way to spend disposable income!

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
^^^ The magic of a massively flexible engine with a stratospheric redline. Shifting mostly optional. I could do Grattan in 3rd except the front straight, where I needed 4th and 5th (or could coast the last bit at the top of 4th).

If you're new to the track, you won't go through a set of pads with 8k miles in one day. Having spare pads in stock just in case, though, is always wise. And newer drivers are sometimes harder on brakes because they drag them more and don't use them to the full potential. Longer and softer applications of the brakes create more heat and wear than short and FIRM use.

Stay calm and have fun!!
Sponsored