Possible first track day-questions

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Change your oil BEFORE the track day not after.... that is a common mistake. Of course it depends on how old it is. I will track mine with about 200 miles on the oil change, less than a month. But I would change it before the track day if oil is 3000 miles old, close to a year or so.
I change oil before and after. Im surprised nobody touched upon the transmission and differential fluid change. I do that after every track weekend as well. If you do it yourself, it isn't that costly. If you drive it hard, you really should change them.

Tires may be alright, verify your alignment. Starting cold pressure should be around 28psi or so (your instructor should go over this) Brakes? Probably. Fuel? Like HB said, figure half a tank per session. Depending on the track, at around the 1/4 tank point, the fuel will starve due to g-forces in turns.

Be sure to go over the whole car. Make sure everything is 100%. One of my students last year had his car catch on fire because he was leaking fluids onto his headers. It all ended OK, but it could have ended in disaster.

Have fun, be safe, listen to your instructor.
Sponsored

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I change oil before and after. Im surprised nobody touched upon the transmission and differential fluid change. I do that after every track weekend as well. If you do it yourself, it isn't that costly. If you drive it hard, you really should change them.

Tires may be alright, verify your alignment. Starting cold pressure should be around 28psi or so (your instructor should go over this) Brakes? Probably. Fuel? Like HB said, figure half a tank per session. Depending on the track, at around the 1/4 tank point, the fuel will starve due to g-forces in turns.

Be sure to go over the whole car. Make sure everything is 100%. One of my students last year had his car catch on fire because he was leaking fluids onto his headers. It all ended OK, but it could have ended in disaster.

Have fun, be safe, listen to your instructor.
Thanks Tom

I spoke with my friend who is a GM at my dealer and big racer. He agreed to come out with me as well

km1075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 C63s, 2020 GT350 HEP
If you're headed to your first track day, would you recommend adjusting alignment to the track setup or for first time out (for a beginner) just keep the street setup? Maybe a novice question, but for track day prep do most folks here do their own adjustments or can you trust the track prep work to your local ford dealer? Thank you.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If you're headed to your first track day, would you recommend adjusting alignment to the track setup or for first time out (for a beginner) just keep the street setup? Maybe a novice question, but for track day prep do most folks here do their own adjustments or can you trust the track prep work to your local ford dealer? Thank you.
I did not; I only changed my wheel alignment once I was decided I will go back to the track second and third time... Unlikely that you will that aggressive on the first track day to do significant damage to the tires...
Just my opinion.
Sponsored