Sponsored

First track day

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
Me and another member took our cars to Motorsports Ranch Houston this morning, and it was so awesome!

I have always raced motorcycles, but this was my first time taking any car around the race track, It was so easy for me to go fast in the GT350 and feel very comfortable after my 1st session, I left it in sport mode because I don't know the limits of traction yet, so I had the assists on, but I still went very fast around the track.

For comparison sake, I ran a 1:43 in my stock motor R6(with racing slicks, and all upgrades except suspension) which is very closely maxing out the stock suspension capabilities of the R6. I managed a 2:12 my first session on the GT350, and by the end of my 4th session I managed a 1:47. Coming from never racing a car around the track, I was very happy! This car is more than I expected!

1:47 lap in the GT350 (Sorry for the low light and sound, will get better video next time)
[ame]

1:45 lap in the 2009 R6
[ame]

1/12/2016
Best I could do was another 1:47 lap time. If I disable traction control I know I could get that time down because it does bog a lot on the exits, but I'm not that comfortable yet, with time! Heres two videos of my lap runs. I really need to get an external microphone to really bring out that exhaust note.

[ame]

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Excellently done. Did you get any GoPro video?

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellently done. Did you get any GoPro video?
Thanks! I do have some footage which I can upload once I get home. I forgot to mention that the whole post was supposed to emphasise that the car is super easy to drive. The AG gt350 had a nice Watson racing roll bar inside aswell

Sponsored

Cobra Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SP MKIII Cobra Roush 427SR, 2013 F250 FX4
Ivan, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks again for the invite to the track.

That lap time is awesome for your first track day in your GT350. Matter of fact that is a great lap time any day of the week. I wish I could have gotten my timer working.

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ivan, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks again for the invite to the track.

That lap time is awesome for your first track day in your GT350. Matter of fact that is a great lap time any day of the week. I wish I could have gotten my timer working.
You're welcome Jim, it was a pleasure for sure. Thanks for all the advice!

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
so with more track day experience, the gt350 can match ur r6 laptime?
that is awesome!

are the lines different? i would imagine r6 would have to brake earlier right.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
that is awesome!

in general its much easier to get to the "fast guy" times in a car than on a bike, so it wouldnt be a surprise if he ends up being faster in teh GT350. Highly prepped cars have more grip period (ie higher corner speeds and more stopping power) and obviously much larger margins for error. Getting on the throttle a little early might kick out the rear end a tad vs having the bike buck you off

But to get that close in a single day says a lot about the car

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that is awesome!

The lines are pretty much the same for the track. I have been racing my R6 for about three years now, and while 1:43 is not the lap record, its still lands me in the top 5 for a local race weekend in the novice class. I'm sure with more practice and more control of the GT350 I can close that gap between the bike and the shelby.

Some local guys that race in AMA run about a 1:35-1:37 on a fully race prepped R6 at this track. I'm sure I could get down to a 1:39 if I put racing body work and upgrade the suspension on my R6. But im having too much fun in my GT350 right now, and im coming off a collarbone injury from flying off the R6 so ill get around to it some time lol.

I'm returning to the track tomorrow, and I'll get some better lap times in for sure.

Another thing worth mentioning is a member of the race track was there with his Boss 302, he said his best on track is a 1:45, and he had racing tires and lighter BBS wheels and has a lot of track experience. I am willing to bet with a capable driver and some racing tires the GT350 can break into the 1:39s or better.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will come back tomorrow with footage of the GT350 and hopefully I come back with lap records of 1:45!

Last edited:
OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added video in original post. Just one lap, sorry for the low light and sound! Will get better video soon.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Ivanuke, the vid. looked like u we're having a lot of fun. Two questions. Was the car under steering as much as it looked like in the video or was it actually more neutral than what it appeared? Did you have a track alignment done per Ford's recommended values or was the suspension setup as factory specs?

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ivanuke, the vid. looked like u we're having a lot of fun. Two questions. Was the car under steering as much as it looked like in the video or was it actually more neutral than what it appeared? Did you have a track alignment done per Ford's recommended values or was the suspension setup as factory specs?

The car had all factory specs, no alignment done to the car, I had 30psi cold tire pressure when out at the track.

As far as under steer I did feel it in the slower corners slightly. But I could only definitely tell in the hairpin turn on the track after the straight. I would say 75% of the track I couldn't tell. I don't have the touch quiet yet for track cars lol.
Sponsored