First Mods & Disaster Averted

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Started mods yesterday and picked up the car today. Suspension done by race car driver and best suspension guy in 6 states. Started with lowering springs.
20210510_080329.jpg

20210511_121311.jpg

It doesn't look like it in the photos but it's much lower.
BMR Racing springs.
20210510_152117.jpg

20210510_152112.jpg

Did Steeda bushings.
20210511_141940.jpg

The dealer did the Steeda motor Mounts so the tower brace could be installed.

20210511_141929.jpg

Damn local dealer charged me $75 to retorque them during oil change.

Got the Lethal Performance IRS brace kit.
20210511_141918.jpg

20210511_141858.jpg

Started driving the car along country twisties and suddenly I heard a grinding when I hit the brakes. Immediately headed back to the shop. Drove like 10mph and used paddle Shifters to slow down.

Turns out the right front caliper was coming off. The owner kinda freaked as he'd only seen that once and it was on a race car. They used blue locktite but the bolt came out and flew down the road somewhere.

The used another bolt and used red locktite on everything and rechecked the torque on every bolt.

Lemme tell ya I was shaking a little as it scared me so bad.

The car also had huge noises from the suspension which the guy said was normal.

After 20 miles all the noises went away. It's super quiet. But it drives like a demon glued to the road.

That was my day.

How was yours?
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Is that bird shit by your 5.0 badge on the side?
Just kidding. I like the color. Keep going.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Good that it was not any worse. Done a few brakes over the decades and never had this happen to my work.
Red locktite is hard to remove which is good in the applications that do not usually need to be removed very often. I have seen some ads on Orange locktite which is supposed to be somewhere in between red and blue.
I bought some but have not yet used it so cannot say from experience. Might be something to keep in mind if that caliper becomes a problem. I think the orange is supposed to hold much like the red but can be removed easier.
Good luck

Permatex® High Strength Removable Threadlocker ORANGE – Permatex

Hello; Found some info. A difference is you do not have to use heat to remove like the red.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hello; Good that it was not any worse. Done a few brakes over the decades and never had this happen to my work.
Red locktite is hard to remove which is good in the applications that do not usually need to be removed very often. I have seen some ads on Orange locktite which is supposed to be somewhere in between red and blue.
I bought some but have not yet used it so cannot say from experience. Might be something to keep in mind if that caliper becomes a problem. I think the orange is supposed to hold much like the red but can be removed easier.
Good luck

Permatex® High Strength Removable Threadlocker ORANGE – Permatex

Hello; Found some info. A difference is you do not have to use heat to remove like the red.
Agree. They totally screwed up. They flat out didn’t tighten the bolt.

The guy who does the next brake job is going to curse the knucklehead that used the red stuff this time.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
They screwed up not properly tightening the bolt, then they screwed up putting red Loctite on it (as if the blue was not strong enough). They should know better.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
They screwed up not properly tightening the bolt, then they screwed up putting red Loctite on it (as if the blue was not strong enough). They should know better.
Agree 100%. The OP will come to regret that decision.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
This has to be a joke.... Red loctite ?????? Good luck with changing pads down the road...

And chance of bolt coming out without any threadlocker are miniscule, bolt is probably somewhere in the shop (or got installed once you came back) because they simply forgot to put it in. There is no chance it would came out right after driving out and with blue loctite on the thread. Zero. OP - if you believe in this, I got Eifel tower to sell your for cheap...

Little story - there is shop here in Cinci, supposedly specializing in alignment. Owner / mechanic loves to tell stories how he was a Nascar crew chief, mechanic for different teams and so on. He did not tighten inboard bolts of rear camber arms...

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Fortunately, nothing bad happened.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Red loctite to hold is opposite of, hard to remove use a bigger hammer.:question:

Hope the pro was just sling more shit, and didn't use it.

OP
"Damn local dealer charged me $75 to retorque them during oil change."

Consider that the best 75 bucks spent, and lucky it was found

Cheers :champagne:

Tip the dealer

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
That wasn’t a locktite problem. They fucked up.
This.....poor install.

I changed over my suspension to FRPP handling pack and GT350 springs over two years ago and 10,000 miles ago with no issue. My original caliper bolt was reused with no loctite.......just torqued to spec.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
This has to be a joke.... Red loctite ?????? Good luck with changing pads down the road...

And chance of bolt coming out without any threadlocker are miniscule, bolt is probably somewhere in the shop (or got installed once you came back) because they simply forgot to put it in. There is no chance it would came out right after driving out and with blue loctite on the thread. Zero. OP - if you believe in this, I got Eifel tower to sell your for cheap...

Little story - there is shop here in Cinci, supposedly specializing in alignment. Owner / mechanic loves to tell stories how he was a Nascar crew chief, mechanic for different teams and so on. He did not tighten inboard bolts of rear camber arms...
is it............ does the abbreviation FLP? I had my alignment done over there, like 300miles later within month my back right tire was not like the others, it was sanken in. something wasn't tightened down and it settled inward, I went back and they fixed it, (the company sublets alignments out across the street) so it wasn't their fault, but they made them fix it. the shop was like, who's paying for this alignment? they said, you are. (to them) they was like ??? it was their mistake.

I do like FLP, but the alignment that they had ordered to get done by the other shop, subpar. but they had it fixed. no qualms with them.

im from Dayton, but I drove down to Milford.
Sponsored