First disaster - snapped hood bolt

Coffman75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2003 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4
Ok, I saw these earlier in this thread but I can not visualize how these would work. Does it crimp on the the broken stud attached to the hood? Or into the new hood struts bracket? Thanks for the help!
IMG_20230109_205127794.jpg
IMG_20230109_205222323.jpg
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Rivnut is just rivnut, not sure what install instructions you expect? :) You stick it into a hole, press-in with rivnut tool and that's it. Obviously, broken bolt needs to be drilled out and some prep might be needed. I can't guarantee that it would work but that is the first thing I would try.
Of course, I'm fully aware of Rivnuts and how they work. But, has anyone actually used them on the hood to fix the snapped welded stud? You can't install a Rivnut in something and make it work correctly if the area you want to mount it in can't accept it correctly. Is there actually enough "meat" in the hood once the snapped stud is removed (if you can actually remove the snapped welded in stud) to make a Rivnut work correctly? It's been suggested many times in this thread, but I have not seen one post from anyone saying they used a Rivnut successfully and showed photos of a Rivnut installed where the snapped stud was. That's my point of the question.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok, I saw these earlier in this thread but I can not visualize how these would work. Does it crimp on the the broken stud attached to the hood? Or into the new hood struts bracket? Thanks for the help!
IMG_20230109_205127794.jpg
IMG_20230109_205222323.jpg
Edit. Found what I was looking for.

Use one of these.
34F60E0F-BEF6-43CC-A7DA-0B8C3B74B6FF.png

Grind to length.
https://www.mcmaster.com/barrel-nuts/

h3rdus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2022.25 Fastback GT 10SPD
Unfortunately in the same position here :crying:

Has anyone had any luck without having to do the welding? Asking for advice if anyone has crossed that bridge yet. Or any alternatives on what others have done is also greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Just happened to us too. Looking for solutions or a how to on the use of a rivnut.
Just happened to us too. Looking for solutions or a how to on the use of a rivnut.
Welp add me to the list, I hate ford for even using these in the first place.
Gonna go to my performance shop and they’ll see if they can fix it if not does anyone know somone who can fix it for me in the miami florida area?
3EF55468-A1A4-418F-AE24-E082B788EAF2.jpeg
2D7E1D45-FF0E-4818-8EFB-CBB9E09B0E3D.jpeg

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Did anyone else get these fixed recently, if so how did you do it? Was welding the broken bolt back on fine?
(Pictures and guide would be appreciated so I can tell my performance shop)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone else get these fixed recently, if so how did you do it? Was welding the broken bolt back on fine?
(Pictures and guide would be appreciated so I can tell my performance shop)
My local mechanic welded a new piece of threaded rod on there when I snapped mine last year. Didnt seem all that hard for him.

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
My local mechanic welded a new piece of threaded rod on there when I snapped mine last year. Didnt seem all that hard for him.
He welded a new piece of rod onto the broken part? That sounds like an easy fix.

Or did he take out the old broken bolt and put a completely new one in?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
He welded a new piece of rod onto the broken part? That sounds like an easy fix.

Or did he take out the old broken bolt and put a completely new one in?
I don't know for sure. I think he just cleaned up what was left and welded on a new stud

Sponsored

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
Here is the torque wrench setting. I took a shot after the bolt broke just see if I had it set incorrectly.

20180526_105507a.jpg
Am I mistaken or is that set at 7 [seven] lbs ? it is on '7', it did not yet reach '10' and is not just below '20' where '17' would be found...

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Am I mistaken or is that set at 7 [seven] lbs ? it is on '7', it did not yet reach '10' and is not just below '20' where '17' would be found...
Looks like your 3 clicks from 20 (17) by the picture. Kinda hard to see numbers

1713285314638-b6.png

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Looks like your 3 clicks from 20 (17) by the picture. Kinda hard to see numbers

1713285314638-b6.png
That's a ft lbs wrench.
First, they are notoriously inaccurate in the very low range.
Second, 17 ft lbs seems awfully high for those bolts, 7 ft lbs (84 inch lbs) sounds like a better guess.
In any case, that big of a torque wrench is not the right tool for that job.

Mak3fit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Forget replacing the bolt. I'd just tack weld the hood to the bracket and be done with it. A little touch up paint and no one will ever know!
Anyone done this or consider it? Is it a good option? If somone can’t weld the broken bolt back on so I can put the nut/washer back in then I may have to consider this…
Would it be fine?
I also kinda just don’t like the hood being held by such weak shitty bolts so this would make me feel better too

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Anyone done this or consider it? Is it a good option? If somone can’t weld the broken bolt back on so I can put the nut/washer back in then I may have to consider this…
Would it be fine?
I also kinda just don’t like the hood being held by such weak shitty bolts so this would make me feel better too
Are rhe hinge and the hood both aluminum? If not then I don't think that it's possible to weld aluminum to steel. At least not easily.
The bolts are plenty strong enough to hold the hood to the hinge. The issue isn't their holding strength it's the over torqueing them that's the issue.
Sponsored