FBO Mustang Head Work

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a 2020 Mustang GT
I currently have Texas speed lt headers with a corsa double h pipe with the stock active exhaust

I recently purchased a cobra jet v2 that I’m getting ported. I have the twin 69 tb and I’m going to be using the p51 fender well intake.

planning on doing stage 2 comp cams with opgs

I’m seeing if anyone has similar setups and what are they pushing and has anyone has done head work on their gen 3 heads and what kind of gains? I’m located in SoCal and I’m kinda struggling to find a good shop to port my heads on my car. I’d like to get the heads ported when I’m doing the cams and everything on the car.
Just was wondering if anyone has anyone some input on some ported heads. I’d probably like to stay around 2k for porting the heads.

IMG_4620.jpeg
Sponsored

88workcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT wt Performance pkg
I do port work, 30+ yrs. I asked this very question. What are the gains? Rob Shoemaker chimed in and said "NONE" He said that he has tuned many that tried and see no gains at this level. As a porter I have issues believing that. But if you read about these heads they flow exceptionally. Which means at this level of a build they are not the restriction. I want so bad to pull mine and get to cutting but no point without positive info. Bumberas has ported heads and had good results. Thats more of a build than we are discussing RN.

88workcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I have done my TB and am currently working on a manifold to swap with mine. :)

88workcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
A 700 Raptor head. I do these on two mornings before leaving for work at 5:15. A shop in New Orleans has me do all of his stock valve heads

IMG_1125.jpg

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The stock heads flow enough to support 1200HP, supposedly. I had my exhaust side done while they were at the shop doing new valves and springs last summer anyway. At my power level, I don't know if I would have seen any gains, but the guy who did the work, said he was going to smooth out the flow on the exhaust side. I told him it was a street car, and I didn't want it to hurt drive-ability and he said it wouldn't. I made so many changes at the same time, I can't say if it did anything for me or not, though. It didn't seem like a bad idea on the face of things.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I do port work, 30+ yrs. I asked this very question. What are the gains? Rob Shoemaker chimed in and said "NONE" He said that he has tuned many that tried and see no gains at this level. As a porter I have issues believing that. But if you read about these heads they flow exceptionally. Which means at this level of a build they are not the restriction. I want so bad to pull mine and get to cutting but no point without positive info. Bumberas has ported heads and had good results. Thats more of a build than we are discussing RN.
Yeah it’s kinda hard to believe that when porting your heads on a n/a car that you won’t be seeing gains from that. It’s not really a restriction but I wouldn’t see why it wouldn’t help benefit anything just a little bit yk. You see all kinds of gains other makers get from porting their heads why porting these heads you don’t get any gains? I saw Frankenstein they do these heads was maybe going to reach out to them and see what they say.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The stock heads flow enough to support 1200HP, supposedly. I had my exhaust side done while they were at the shop doing new valves and springs last summer anyway. At my power level, I don't know if I would have seen any gains, but the guy who did the work, said he was going to smooth out the flow on the exhaust side. I told him it was a street car, and I didn't want it to hurt drive-ability and he said it wouldn't. I made so many changes at the same time, I can't say if it did anything for me or not, though. It didn't seem like a bad idea on the face of things.
Yeah I’m not saying I’m restricted or anything on the heads on a n/a build I’m just going to be trying to squeeze as much hp I can without opening the bottom end and changing compression ratio or anything. But just why wouldn’t you see any gains? There’s no other restrictions such as the intake cams or tb so you’d figure with your car flowing so good with ported cj ported tb plus the cams the car would see good gains with ported heads.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Pierre Part La
I talked to Frankenstein about their Gen 3 heads ported they said I’d expect to see only about 15-20 because of the comp stage 2 cams I have. If I went with some custom cams and did springs on the heads I’d be seeing more than 15-20 hp. But their heads are about 3k shipped and it’s a 5-6 week lead time. Plus at the end of the day I can sell my heads probably for 1k-1500. So I’d really only be in 1500 for some ported heads for 20 hp about which my cj was 1500 alone lol.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I’m not saying I’m restricted or anything on the heads on a n/a build I’m just going to be trying to squeeze as much hp I can without opening the bottom end and changing compression ratio or anything. But just why wouldn’t you see any gains? There’s no other restrictions such as the intake cams or tb so you’d figure with your car flowing so good with ported cj ported tb plus the cams the car would see good gains with ported heads.
The idea is that your engine is only using so much HP, so putting heads that flow more, when your existing heads can feed the engine close to all it can use, won't really do anything.

So let's just say the heads on your engine flow 300cfm, you can roughly expect a maximum of 600hp at the crank

If you take a gen 3 engine that makes 500hp at the crank, stock, then throw E85 and a cobra jet intake on it, you'll make 550hp. Stick better heads (let's say they flow 340cfm, that's what one company advertises for their ported gen 3 heads) on it, and you're probably not going to make much more power because it's not like it can use more airflow. You're not shoving it in with a supercharger.

Now, put a higher compression piston, big cams, spin it to 9,500rpm...you will want the extra airflow.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it’s kinda hard to believe that when porting your heads on a n/a car that you won’t be seeing gains from that. It’s not really a restriction but I wouldn’t see why it wouldn’t help benefit anything just a little bit yk.
The gen2+ coyote heads are very good. Better than the NASCAR/YATES SBF heads. Typically, the standby porting, of doing the bowls, short sides, port matching, etc., gains nothing cause most copy what's done on the LS head which needs all that.

Now saying that, if I was serious about porting the heads, I'd send them off to
Jon Kaase Racing.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I talked to Frankenstein about their Gen 3 heads ported they said I’d expect to see only about 15-20 because of the comp stage 2 cams I have. If I went with some custom cams and did springs on the heads I’d be seeing more than 15-20 hp. But their heads are about 3k shipped and it’s a 5-6 week lead time. Plus at the end of the day I can sell my heads probably for 1k-1500. So I’d really only be in 1500 for some ported heads for 20 hp about which my cj was 1500 alone lol.
A tune and E85 will net you double that, for way less money.
Sponsored