OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The idea is that your engine is only using so much HP, so putting heads that flow more, when your existing heads can feed the engine close to all it can use, won't really do anything.

So let's just say the heads on your engine flow 300cfm, you can roughly expect a maximum of 600hp at the crank

If you take a gen 3 engine that makes 500hp at the crank, stock, then throw E85 and a cobra jet intake on it, you'll make 550hp. Stick better heads (let's say they flow 340cfm, that's what one company advertises for their ported gen 3 heads) on it, and you're probably not going to make much more power because it's not like it can use more airflow. You're not shoving it in with a supercharger.

Now, put a higher compression piston, big cams, spin it to 9,500rpm...you will want the extra airflow.
Yes but a stock coyote head ported should make more hp. A ported head properly tuned with cams and a ported cj should
The idea is that your engine is only using so much HP, so putting heads that flow more, when your existing heads can feed the engine close to all it can use, won't really do anything.

So let's just say the heads on your engine flow 300cfm, you can roughly expect a maximum of 600hp at the crank

If you take a gen 3 engine that makes 500hp at the crank, stock, then throw E85 and a cobra jet intake on it, you'll make 550hp. Stick better heads (let's say they flow 340cfm, that's what one company advertises for their ported gen 3 heads) on it, and you're probably not going to make much more power because it's not like it can use more airflow. You're not shoving it in with a supercharger.

Now, put a higher compression piston, big cams, spin it to 9,500rpm...you will want the extra airflow.
Yeah I’m not looking for 50 hp or more from porting heads I was just originally talking about how someone said rob said he tested and saw no gains at all from porting heads. 15-20 hp on a n/a motor for porting heads without going crazy on some race cams or doing valve springs seems pretty realistic. And for us n/a guys dropping 5k in cams and cj gaining 50 hp and getting a brand new set of heads ported for 3k and still having the option to sell our stock heads for 1k so we’re really only in 2k some heads for 20 hp is pretty close to what I’ve spent already in my cams and cj.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The gen2+ coyote heads are very good. Better than the NASCAR/YATES SBF heads. Typically, the standby porting, of doing the bowls, short sides, port matching, etc., gains nothing cause most copy what's done on the LS head which needs all that.

Now saying that, if I was serious about porting the heads, I'd send them off to
Jon Kaase Racing.
I’ll look into him! Thank you.

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Steeda had a NA car they did a lot of work to and got some good results. Very pricy though.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know a lot of N/A guys are dead set on staying N/A and wringing out as much horsepower as they can, but the money you spend per horsepower gained is a very high ratio. To me, some sort of forced induction be that supercharger or turbo(s) is the answer, but to each his own. What motivates me and motivates others are separate things, but damn, you N/A guys spend a metric shit-ton of money and time to eek out 15 horsepower.

Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Remember, the 18+ mustang head ports are "cast" gt350 ports. Same port design, just "as cast" vs being CNC ported.

That said, they do have some casting flash in stock form. However, you can see the valves are already unshrouded pretty nicely from the factory and the casting flash is easily removed by hand in a few hours max.

tempImageTMdoLA.png

tempImageetv2hx.png

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That said, they do have some casting flash in stock form. However, you can see the valves are already enshrouded pretty nicely from the factory and the casting flash is easily removed by hand in a few hours max.
Ahhh yes. Did you know that roughness in the port actually keeps the fuel suspended ? However t's worth polishing the exhaust port to limit carbon build up. Leave the intake un-polished to aid atomisation.
Sponsored