Sponsored

Exhaust mode selection unavailable - check here first!

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Posting this here even though it's not Mach 1 specific. Mods, please move to the appropriate area if necessary

I wanted to post this as a bit of a PSA if you run into an exhaust mode malfunction issue. I have a 2021 Mach 1 that I purchased to use as a track car. While at the track this weekend, I ran into an issue where the car threw an error for "exhaust mode selection not available". While troubleshooting this issue, I discovered the fuse for the exhaust valves was blown. Further troubleshooting the short, I noticed that the passenger side electrical connector for the valve is relatively close to the rear body panel seam. Quickly pulling the connector revealed the plug apparently rubs against the body and has shorted the circuit. I'm not sure how to fix this yet and will let the dealer deal with it. However, a simple replacement of the harness won't work as it orients the connector in the same place. Bad design, Ford...

So, if you see this error, pull the passenger side plug off the valve and check for this:

exhaustvalve - 1.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I see a service bulletin in the near future!
Thing is, this is only fixable by changing the placement of the valve itself. So, does that service bulletin come with a new exhaust or a welder for the service techs?

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Thing is, this is only fixable by changing the placement of the valve itself. So, does that service bulletin come with a new exhaust or a welder for the service techs?
We'll see. The pic makes me curious if we see a change show up in the production models. If yes, then they're acknowledging the problem and it will be a matter of time before it shows up for the rest of us.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The harness should be able to be changed. The only problem is, unless the area on the body is clearanced, it’ll happen again. I have this same issue going on with my Bullitt. it’s only an issue on thr right side, as the left side connector is on the front side of the valve. I wo t be able to address mine for a few more months, but when I do, I’ll fix mine properly and make sure that this never happens again.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Heat wrap the wires?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Heat wrap the wires?
I don’t think that’s a permanent fix. Wrapping it would definitely slow down the issue of chaffing, but it would eventually wear through. Clearancing the body is the only real fix IMO. There’s just no way that Ford engineers couldn‘t have known about this being a potential problem when they designed the AE system for these cars.

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
I think some people with AE have reported this after swapping the resonator. I don't recall a stock cars with AE having that problem.

Sponsored

Galvez1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2021- KTM Xbow RR - 991GT3- G500
it’s not heat, it’s abrasion between the plug end and the body seam.
What was the final solution? I just have the same problem with my Mach1 '21

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Tony has a pretty easy solution I think

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those who find this when they are messing around with their exhaust (resonator delete etc), you have a few options :

A) Shorten the cut line.

B) Shorten the end of the H / X pipe where it mates to the original system.

C) Ensure everything is pushed fully home on reassembly.

Mine had loads of clearance when cold, but it must expand and move around a lot when hot and under torque.

Mine had just started to rub the heat tape :

1666564188873.jpeg

Repaired with a bit of sacrificial protection :

1666564241442.jpeg

Rough cut in the right place, then a bit of a reduction and a neatening :

1666564318623.jpeg

1666564509270.jpeg

1666564344446.jpeg

H pipe reduction

1666564398206.jpeg

1666564420873.jpeg

That should give approximately 15mm of extra clearance at the back end :like:

WD :like:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Good info. I have a 22 M1 with 780 miles. Is this something I should worry about? So the best fix is to shorten the pipe or do Tony's method? At what mileage does this typically happen at? I obsoletely love the active exhaust I don't want it to be disabled lol
Sponsored