Sponsored

Die hard Manual guys get in here!

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
A lot of high schools and colleges still have manuals available to learn on. When I took my classes back in 2000 my instructor asked me what car I would eventually be driving as that would determine if I would be learning on an auto or manual.
This reminded me of an old thread where jimmytwotimes (bless him and where did he go?) talked about how he had no way to learn to drive a manual and his experiences trying to drive a manual.

Cracked me up. Jimmy on his options for learning how to drive a manual:

"The only option would be buying a manual car sight unseen and then trying to learn how to drive it then and there. My concern with that is that I wouldn't be able to get it out of the parking lot -- the one time I was ever in a car with a manual, when I was 17, I tried to get the car into gear for almost two hours, stalling over 100 times without ever being able to make the car move a foot."

On trying to get the hang of driving a manual:

"Well, that's easier said than done. I suppose that's the most difficult part, since you've got to give the car gas, taking your foot off the clutch pedal slowly enough to keep from stalling while stilling being fast enough to move your foot over two pedals to give it gas."

There was so much gold in so many of his posts, oh Jimmy, where have you gone?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
In for the revival !!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hmmmm . . . 3 years and 7 months or so later . . . yep, still die-hard manual.

Bought a new 6MT "family sedan" in the meantime, even.

Hey, can I answer this twice? After all these years, she's still diehard MT too.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, can I answer this twice?
Sure can buddy !! My highlight this year was I out 60'd a A10 ( on drag radials) and a 6R80 (on 28x11 Hoosiers) while still on a stock clutch. Via La MT82 !!

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
attachment.png

My last 5 cars have.been manual. 20 GT, 16 EB, 13 Focus ST, 12 Focus sport, 02 Volvo C70.
Might not be too long before they are no longer available.
I don't care if the A10 is faster

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
+1 for manual. I test drove a PP1 A10 before the Bullitt and thought it was ok but would be boring to live with.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Took a long weekend with the wife in the family SUV (had some beach junk to pack, so had to leave the Mustang home; it all really would have fit, but she packed before I had a say-so). Semi-empty-nesters here as the youngest at 18 years old is currently doing "college" at home as so many are. Came home today and noticed the Mustang parked differently than I leave it... and I said "she drove it" as I pulled in, and the wife says "I told her to." Just can't complain when my girls all know how to drive manual.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
2019 Manual. I hope there's still the option in 10+ years when it's time fore a new one. The A10 is a great auto though, just not a manual lol.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
As an European fella, I find it quite funny all U US guys, can get such a rise out of this 'can U drive a stick' thing. Here (in Denmark) probably 95-99% of cars are manual. Until 3 years ago, manuals were mandatory when taking a licence, so everbody can drive stick. Nothing special. Now its possible to take an 'auto-only' licence. But if U later wanna drive a manual, U have to take a new test in a manual.
I looove my manual GT, but I rarely think about it in my work van. For normal driving its just second nature. But in the GT I'm, much more aware about my shifts, especially my heel toe downshifts.
But I also drive around in a rolling thunderstorm, so shifts are much more pronounced.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Was totally stoked when I heard the new bronco was coming with a manual, and even a granny gear. Then found out it's only available with the base engine. :crying:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's typically the case here, so manufacturers can charge extra for the slushbox. Or at least it was; now even the crappy cars are coming out all auto. The manual tranny is in its last breaths; that's for sure. Porsche is still making it, but now they're screwing manual drivers. Before, the PDK was around 5 grand extra. Now the PDK is standard (and built into the price), and the manual a 'no-charge' option, meaning in reality a $5K up-charge. Aholes. Ha ha.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
On a sport car for me a manual transmission is a must, I don't care if the A10 is faster, it is not the same dynamics. Two of my daughters drive manual cars...they love to drive the manual Stang!
Sponsored